Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2014 9:17:43 PM EDT
When tightening the rear screw on my stock, the threads of the screw start protruding into the channel of the bolt. This causes an interference when cycling the bolt. I have backed the screw off, but I don't feel it's tight enough. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about your rifle but I have had other bolt action rifles that did the same thing.  I just backed the bolt out till it cleared.  The other bolt or bolts should be the main holding force and not so much the rear bolt.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd take out the bolt, and see what the length and thread size is, and look for a shorter one.

If you can't find a shorter one, another option is to shorten that one so you can tighten it and not have the bolt interference.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When tightening the rear screw on my stock, the threads of the screw start protruding into the channel of the bolt. This causes an interference when cycling the bolt. I have backed the screw off, but I don't feel it's tight enough. Anyone have an opinion on this?

http://i.imgur.com/VjjyEHN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ml10yF8.jpg
View Quote

Since the "bottom metal" appears flush, shorten the screw.

If the "bottom metal" is dropping below the stock line, make a washer/shim to go between it and the stock.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have silly question. Are the front and rear screws a different length? If so are they backwards?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Early manuals had the 20 INCH pounds spec that is used for the Metal trigger guards on the hawkeye rifles. The Scout needs 10 INCH pounds due to the plastic trigger guard. Please note the INCH pounds
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It's possible that someone, at some point in time overtightened the action screws, and deformed the polymer trigger guard.   Check the guard, and see if it's crushed a bit.  If so, call Ruger, and they'll take care of you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top