Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2014 9:12:55 PM EDT
It's been 15 years or so since I've owned a Mini 14 but that changed today when the LGS  had a used 2013 production gun for less than $600 out the door.
My previous experience w/ this little carbine taught me that Ruger production magazines were the only option to insure reliable function, is this still the case or
is there another option?  

Edit: Should have included the fact that I'm out here behind the Iron Curtain in Kaliforastan;  10 rnds only!
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had good luck with a the metal promags. I still prefer the factory mags though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had 100% reliability with factory mags over the years. That being said here's my preference in order of reliability and performance.

Factory mags-100% Reliable no problems
PMI ( Precision Mag Industries ) 99% Reliable with 30 rounders. 40's didn't work.
ProMag-None have been reliable for me. Others have had better luck.
Thermold-TRASH Some wouldn't even lock in place. All would jam.
Unmarked gun show mags-TRASH.

I know the price is high but stick to factory 20's and 30's. Just check around the prices. Midway has them on sale pretty often and others do the same.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Factory 10s are the best bet for you. I have 3 from when I lived in Cali had zero issues.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Stick with factory mags and don't waste your money on anything else.  I  learned the hard way...
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Factory mags are still what you want.  Some Promags will work fine but some will never work (at all).  

Nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
... any new news on Mini-14 aftermarket mags?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... any new news on Mini-14 aftermarket mags?
View Quote

Newest I can think of is the Tapco Gen2 mags, they have worked well with brass but not steel. The steel itself seems to be the problem, the steel is "rougher" than brass and seems to slow the mag causing the gun to not pick up a round out of the mag.

OP for 10 round mags just stick to factory.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger, needs to sell them for less, = profit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
They'd make a lot more profit if they dropped the price because they could sell a ton more. What happened to C-Products making a Mini-14 magazine?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I have three of the Crapco mags with the metal reinforcement.  They worked fine for several mag fulls.  No extensive testing.  They are tight inside.  My 75 grain reloads and 75 grain factory were too long and jammed.

Otherwise factory.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've had good luck with using 20 rounders exclusively, factory or aftermarket.  It's the 30's that cause trouble
View Quote
Are you saying factory Ruger 30 round mags cause problems?

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought two 30's from Ruger...nether one of them were useable. I could only get 19 rounds in them and they jammed up. I only buy their 20  round mags now.
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had good luck with using 20 rounders exclusively, factory or aftermarket.  It's the 30's that cause trouble

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I bought two 30's from Ruger...nether one of them were useable. I could only get 19 rounds in them and they jammed up. I only buy their 20  round mags now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.  I opened mine up today and I was able to load the 30 rounders with 31 each.  I inserted them into my rifle and they fed by me racking the slide without issue while completely full.  I'll try them out soon enough.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Factory mags are the only one that worked reliably for me but haven't shot the rifle in several years.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a 583 Series with 20rd factory Ruger mags that have performed 100% with over 1,000rds through them.  A couple of friends have tried ProMags with spotty success and another one has an old 187 Series with John Masen mags he says work 95% of the time.  For the extra $10 or so for factory, the piece of mind and reliability is worth it to me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I had several stainless PMI  30 round mags and they ran 100% in my Mini 14 and were very well built.  Sold them to by buddy and he has had no complaints.  Finding them can be difficult as the company went out of business a very long time ago (I think they were made in Los Angeles of all places).  

I found mine in an ad in Shotgun News (pre internet days to give you an idea how long ago I bought them) from a store called Frank's Place.

Between the factory Ruger mags and PMI, I would take the PMI without hesitation.

UPDATE: Via Google it looks like the place I bought them from is still around (now called Frank's Gun Stuff) and has them in stock (I have zero affiliation with them):

http://www.franksgunstuff.com/wvss/product_info.php?cPath=27_105&products_id=139stock

$40 a mag is not cheap, but not much more than a factory Ruger mag I guess....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I would love to see Magpul and Lancer produced Mini-14 mags!
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I guess I'm a man alone, but I've had good luck with ProMag 20 and 30 round metal mags. I've even had good luck with the plastic ProMags for range use only. (They flex some and, if dropped, spew rounds like the Mini throws empties.) I don't know how durable they are because I've only fired about 5,000 rounds out of them in toto.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I've run the Tapco gen2 mags with great luck. I had one that was finikee and would not feed wolf ammo, I called Tapco and they sent me a replacement at no charge. I did score four 20 and three 30 factory mags at a garage sale for $50 so I am set.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
If Magpul made them, they would work. I have no doubt.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't yet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They'd make a lot more profit if they dropped the price because they could sell a ton more. What happened to C-Products making a Mini-14 magazine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what their margins are.  I have thought several times about buying another one, but at $700........
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought my Mini-14 at Wally World for $607.00 back when AR's were up around a grand. The cost of magazines hasn't been an issue since I asked for them for Christmas presents!

Never had stoppage. Never had a failure to feed. Never had a failure to fire. It has digested stuff that my brother's HBAR left dented and bent. I've never fired it past 200 yards, but it's plenty minute of bad guy at that range with a red dot and minute of coyote with an old Weaver K2.5. If I want something shot at 600 yards, I'll let my brother do it with his 15 pound HBAR.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had good luck with Promag and John Masen 10rd mags in the past.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually sent them an email requesting this last year.
Didn't get a reply.

I'm sure the Mini 14 market is much smaller than the AR and AK markets.
Not to mention that a mag that works in one Mini14 may not work in another.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top