Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2014 6:37:38 PM EDT
The metal one that came with my GSR works fine.
Because I "need" more portable firepower, I decided to buy a 5 rd and 10 rd Ruger poly mag.
I loaded them both and cycled the bullets through. With the 5 rd mag, I had no problem, but the 10 rd mag appeared to have a problem. I have experienced a variety of pistol and rifle rounds having bullets nose-diving, but these were butt-diving(if that is even a term). The bolt face wouldn't pick the top round out the mag and would just ride over the butt of the case and get the bullet all out of kilter.
I have loaded mags before so I am pretty sure I didn't go full stupid, so what is the problem?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Email Ruger, they'll most likely swap out magazines for ya.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I emailed them. Now to wait for the reply.

Will they require a picture or proof of purchase?
Should I expect them to mail me one if I send mine, or will I have to pay shipping both ways?

Sweet rifle, but I should have remembered that they have issues with expensive mags.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Hearing this makes me feel better having invested a shit-ton of money in the metal mags.  Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, you can get a bad metal mag just as easy as you can get a bad poly mag.  I bet they will make it right.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Should I expect them to mail me one if I send mine, or will I have to pay shipping both ways?

Sweet rifle, but I should have remembered that they have issues with expensive mags.
View Quote

I had an issue with a rifle that had a part that looked out of spec...it worked but I had my concerns.   I called them and asked about it.  They asked for my name and address then said "we will send you a new part today".  WOW no other questions and they sent a $100.00 (+) part and I got it in three days.  GREAT SERVICE!!!

Also...I have the same rifle that you have with the same mags and I have never had an issue.  

Give them a call.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Ruger replied back to me.

Sight unseen, and without any other proof than the serial # of my rifle, they have offered to send me a new one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got 3 of the AI (metal) mags and three 10 rd poly mags.
Zero issues out of any of them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sight unseen, and without any other proof than the serial # of my rifle, they have offered to send me a new one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I had an issue with a rifle that had a part that looked out of spec...it worked but I had my concerns.   I called them and asked about it.  They asked for my name and address then said "we will send you a new part today".  WOW no other questions and they sent a $100.00 (+) part and I got it in three days.  GREAT SERVICE!!!

Sounds like great service from a great American firearms manufacturer.

A friend brought a stainless GSR yesterday. What a beautiful rifle!

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]
What was the part?

Quoted:

Also...I have the same rifle that you have with the same mags and I have never had an issue.  

Give them a call.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give them a call.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The metal one that came with my GSR works fine.
Because I "need" more portable firepower, I decided to buy a 5 rd and 10 rd Ruger poly mag.
I loaded them both and cycled the bullets through. With the 5 rd mag, I had no problem, but the 10 rd mag appeared to have a problem. I have experienced a variety of pistol and rifle rounds having bullets nose-diving, but these were butt-diving(if that is even a term). The bolt face wouldn't pick the top round out the mag and would just ride over the butt of the case and get the bullet all out of kilter.
I have loaded mags before so I am pretty sure I didn't go full stupid, so what is the problem?
View Quote

The mag springs are shit.  They might work fine in a five rounder, but they are too weak for the 10's.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have zero issues with my 3 poly 10 rounders. I love them. Just used 2 this weekend for a hunt.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds GREAT... I knew they would do you good.  They are one of the good companies out there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#13]
The factory 10 round mag that came with my GSR is a piece of shit.  Can't load all 10 rounds, rounds pop out on top, and rounds will not feed reliably.  Used the polymer mags and they work fine so far.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Believe it or not, I just got the mag back from Ruger today!!

They sent me a 3-rnd mag in place of the 10-rd that doesn't work. I haven't even taken it out of the package. Why would I even want a 3-rd mag for this rifle? If I wanted a 4 round capable rifle, I would have just bought any one of several regular bolt action rifles that  have DBMs. Li'l bit peeved at Ruger even though I appreciate any offer to replace the mag.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Call them back...they made a mistake.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, already covered!

Quoted:
Call them back...they made a mistake.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Got the answer back today. They will be sending me another 10 round.

Cant say that I can argue or be unhappy with Ruger at all right now. Pretty good that they did that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Good to hear, I like the poly mags because they're quieter and seat more tightly into the rifle, but I have three and two of them sporadically have the same issue you described where the bolt doesn't strip the round from the mag. Its happened about four times in the last 80 rounds. I might give Ruger a call and see if they know of a fix for them. Not looking for something for nothing, I'd rather just fix what I've already got, but it seems like that's not how they're handling the defective mags.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, they sent me a new magazine today by overnite FedEx(like that was for some reason necessary?).

What mag did they send...

a 10 round steel mag, not the poly mag.  

I give up and will just keep my mouth shut. It is a 10 rd mag, but not the one I wanted to work.
In any case, good on Ruger for being so easy to work with. I hope all is well with my rifle now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#21]
raf,
Thanks for that write up. It was quite insightful on potentially being able to "fix" my original mag that I complained about. I had no idea and will reaserch a little more on how to make that fix.
Keep in mind that I am leaving this experience happy with my Ruger rifle and my experience so don't think I am bashing Ruger.

It is just a tad aggravating for a well known gun manufacturer to put out such a nice(and not cheap by any means) rifle with such magazine issues that require tweaking. I have been a staunch Ruger supporter and have numerous Ruger firearms; however, I have had less than stellar results with Ruger rifles(the other case was a .17hmr that was sent back once due to such horrid accuracy problems). I realize that 2 guns is not enough to really pass judgement on overall quality issues, but I really had to talk myself into getting/trying this rifle knowing that Ruger has issues with their proprietary mags. Being as how this rifle was designed as a "survival" rifle, I expected to have no firearm related problems due to the robustness of the gun.

I know you are knowledgeable on this subject and I will heed your advice since I got more value back out of Ruger than I expected, but the mag issue taints the reputation of a great gun. To be honest, it will affect my purchase decisions in the future regarding Ruger long guns to the point that I don't think I will be able to "talk" myself into another.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks raf,
I am fairly regularly in the armory section between the M1, reloading, GSR, and a few other subforums. I don't post much, but always great info
Went to the scout rifle site, but have yet to find the specific fix thread..
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks raf,
I am fairly regularly in the armory section between the M1, reloading, GSR, and a few other subforums. I don't post much, but always great info
Went to the scout rifle site, but have yet to find the specific fix thread..
View Quote

If you find it would you please share it here? I told Ruger about my mag problems and they insisted that I ship them the mag at my expense for inspection and did not offer to send a replacement or offer suggestions on a fix. You must've gotten lucky with who you spoke to.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#25]
outkast,
I went thru many pages of that website. I found several threads about the mag issues, but not that exact one. When I have time, I will try again, unless you find it first!.  If I do find it, I will post the link.

As far as the Ruger customer service, yes, I must have got the "right" person when I emailed them. They never asked for the bad mag, although I would have been happy to have sent it back in for replacement. I was treated very fairly. The only reason the process took so long was my own fault for replying incorrectly.

Good luck and sorry you had a mag problem too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top