Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2014 11:11:27 AM EDT
I'm new to the shooting world and in the last year bought a few AR15s, a glock 26, a Ruger SR22 and just bought a Ruger 10/22 for the grandkids to use along w/ the SR22.  

I want to start deer hunting this fall [in MO] and the American  looks like a good platform to do that.  A distant 2nd place consideration is to have a weapon that can accurately reach out past what my Colt LE6920 is set up to do.

I've read numerous articles about the rifle and reviews comparing it to others in its tier.  I've read everything in this sub-forum back to Dec '13 that was about the American.  

So, my questions:

which is preferred a 30-06 or .308 and why?

what makes the 'all weather' ... well, all weather?  I read the spec sheets on Ruger.com and it is identical to the standard American.  

Is the only difference w/ the predator and the navy [no longer listed on their website], the color of the stock?  

why wouldn't I want to buy the American, and what should I consider in its place?  

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Just to give a lil extra background to the ruger American

Its almost the best ideas that are on the market (From Savage, Tikka, etc) and I personally like them (quite a few Youtubers have reviewed it and all have really great reviews)

When it comes to hunting I will always choose a .30-06 over a .308. Now Im not saying there is anything wrong with the .308 (far from it) but even now (at least in my AO) the 308 is still slim pickings all over. Specially if your looking for a specific weight/brand that you sighted with you might not have it.

Now the .30-06 sense its not a standard military round anymore it is still popular but not so popular that you have neckbeards trying to corner the market on it. You also have a much wider range of weights from 150grs to the heavy hitting 220grs. It still can easily be used for hunting elk if you decide to go out west. .30-06 can be found on any shelf around the US (specially LGS) and they are typically wont be over priced during an ammo scare.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#2]
.30-06 or .308 is going to be personal preference.  Note that the .30-06 will be a long action, the .308 will be a short action.  I chose .30-06 because it is not typically used by LE/Mil, so it shouldn't be as affected during shortages.  Both will take anything you're hunting, but the .30-06 will pack a slightly bigger punch.

The All-Weather uses a stainless steel barrel instead of steel alloy.  It will have an added degree of rust protection, but will not be immune to it.

I don't know what the complete Navy specs were, but it appears the Predator will have Picatinny rail instead of Weaver and a threaded barrel for muzzle devices.

Alternatives:  I am new to bolt-actions and was almost ready to buy a Savage (though I couldn't find a comparable Savage without a scope package and I didn't want the scope that was offered) when I picked up a RAR.  Ultimately I chose the Ruger because of price point and the bolt doesn't rotate quite as much, leaving more optic clearance.  My biggest complaint about the RAR is the stock forend is so narrow.  I have big hands so it just doesn't feel perfect.  Many will say spend a bit more and move into the Tikka T3.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The 308/30.06 debate has been going on since the 308 first came out.  As a practical matter a 308 will do 95% of what an 06 will.  And probably 100% for most shooters.  Personally I went with 308 and am completely happy with it.  I have both calibers in the collection, went with 308 because my local guy had one he would sell me at cost (another customer ordered it and stiffed him).  Mine is a stock, black model.  

Honestly, just about all the manufacturers have the bolt action hunting rifle figured out.  I'm not sure there is a really bad one out there.  I bought the RA because I stumbled into a good deal.  I suspect I would have been just as happy with a Savage (tho the Aixs is kind of ugly), Marlin, Howa or any of the others.  If I had a second choice I suspect it would be Howa, tho they are bit more money.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 308/30.06 debate has been going on since the 308 first came out.  As a practical matter a 308 will do 95% of what an 06 will.  And probably 100% for most shooters.  Personally I went with 308 and am completely happy with it.  I have both calibers in the collection, went with 308 because my local guy had one he would sell me at cost (another customer ordered it and stiffed him).  Mine is a stock, black model.  

Honestly, just about all the manufacturers have the bolt action hunting rifle figured out.  I'm not sure there is a really bad one out there.  I bought the RA because I stumbled into a good deal.  I suspect I would have been just as happy with a Savage (tho the Aixs is kind of ugly), Marlin, Howa or any of the others.  If I had a second choice I suspect it would be Howa, tho they are bit more money.
View Quote

Since you have both calibers, if you could have bought the 30.06 RAR for the same price as the .308, which would you have chosen?  

Thanks all and if anyone has more insight, I'd love to hear it.  

Sounds like this is a good choice and either cal will be fine.  

A buddy of mine has been hunting for 50 yrs and his recommendation is to buy a good, frugal rifle and then spend more on the optics.  He likes the RAR alot for this purpose [although he owns more expensive firearms than it].  He, and another hunter at the same dinner, recommended going 30.06 ... both saying it was 'slightly better' than .308.  But both shoot 30.06 and don't own any .308s.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Since you have both calibers, if you could have bought the 30.06 RAR for the same price as the .308, which would you have chosen?  

A buddy of mine has been hunting for 50 yrs and his recommendation is to buy a good, frugal rifle and then spend more on the optics.  He likes the RAR alot for this purpose [although he owns more expensive firearms than it].  He, and another hunter at the same dinner, recommended going 30.06 ... both saying it was 'slightly better' than .308.  But both shoot 30.06 and don't own any .308s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair question.  Probably not, I like the slightly more compact size of the 308.  But I do have a lot of 30.06 ammo laying around...............

Good rule of thumb for hunting rifles is spend as much on the optic as the rifle.  I will confess to violating that rule more often than not.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with all the above.  I chose the '06 for bullet diversity, and it was quite obvious that 30-06 ammo was still on the shelves at every Wal-Mart I ever visited in the past year.  I'm looking for deer and bear, SW Va. Maybe a Chupacabra or Skunk Ape as well.  My choice in scope is the Cabelas Euro, but I'm broke right now.  I paid $339.00 (?) for mine; I consider that a fine price, but LGS had a .243 for $289.00.  I passed on that because it's a lighter cartridge, and I haven't seen a lot of .243 ammo for sale.  I'm partial to Ruger, but I also have a lot of heartache with some of their stuff.  I do believe they got all the good ideas in this design though.  I expect it to last until my kids are grandpappys...
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
update...

I decided on 30.06.  Cannot see a downside and more power is always better

I also decided on a Leupold XV2, 3x9 scope with matching Leupold rings.  

Thanks all for your help in this decision.  

Now if these darn things can get here...

I can play with them.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
update...

I can play with them.  

View Quote

Hard to beat that combo.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#9]
now I have to figure out the sling.  

I like leather but since it is synthetic stock maybe I should go w/ web of some type?  

heard of someone actually using braided paracord w/ the added benefit of having the cord if ever in need.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
now I have to figure out the sling.  

I like leather but since it is synthetic stock maybe I should go w/ web of some type?  

heard of someone actually using braided paracord w/ the added benefit of having the cord if ever in need.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

If you're a traditionalist then leather is the way to go, and they can get a bit wider in the part that goes on your shoulder.  If you want to keep with the synthetic stock mentality, then get something with black nylon webbing.  The leather is usually adjusted with preset holes; the nylon has buckles that can slide anywhere.  I don't think paracord is a real good idea- it's stiff, not real wide and just doesn't feel good if you use a sling for shooting stability.  Not sure what I'm gonna use myself; haven't looked yet.  Don't have a problem at all with leather; using saddlesoap on the sling after gun cleaning (to refresh it, make up for being wet, keep it looking good or whatever) only takes a few extra minutes.  With a synthetic sling, just scrub it in the kitchen sink if it needs it- no extra preservation steps needed.  All the slings will need attention to the swivels though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Turner on my Model 700 5R (heavy ass gun) and it is loads more comfy than the nylon/leather/padded abomination that I have on my M77MkII (MUCH lighter weapon)
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hard to beat that combo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
update...

I can play with them.  

Hard to beat that combo.

Agreed

good choices OP

I prefer synthetic slings (leather can be a problem in the wet weather)

Blue fore gear makes a very nice padded adjustable sling, with the plus side being that you could try it on your ARs as well (what it was made for)
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I know you already made your decision, but for as light a rifle the Ruger American is, I would have gone with 308.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know you already made your decision, but for as light a rifle the Ruger American is, I would have gone with 308.
View Quote

Me too. All weather compact .308 and topping it off would be a nice light 4x scope.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm planning to get a compact version in 223, probably in stainless, and am really hoping they do a 300 Blackout.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, and I did, along with the .243 version. Couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#17]
one shot, one kill.

I just used my 30.06 and shot my first deer in the neck. Dropped where it stood.

No regrets.

Glad I bought what I did.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top