Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2014 11:46:03 AM EDT
Looking to get one of these but before I do........Anybody having any issues with durability of their Ruger American rifle?? With the mags?? Thanks, Bill
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking to get one of these but before I do........Anybody having any issues with durability of their Ruger American rifle?? With the mags?? Thanks, Bill
View Quote

Well they are all still relatively new, being out only a few years.

Also these are price point, knock about tools.  Not collectors items.

I've put a 120-160 rounds thru a 30-06, the bolt is getting smoother.
Barrel still appears fine.

The mags are plastic, so...dunno.  Then again my Lancer L5 mags are plastic too.

Interested to see if someone has fired a LOT of rounds yet?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]
They look durable enough and I haven't crunched mine, but I'm not THRILLED with them either.  I got a little fine dust in one while hunting and it crapped out for a little bit, wouldn't feed any rounds.  Not sure how it happened, but it did.

I'd buy another one since they're super light and accurate as can be.  But, if I had my choice I'd rather have a traditional box mag like the Rem 783.

In terms of affordable hunting rifles, I don't think you can do much better than a Ruger American.  Overall still very pleased.

If you're looking for a dual purpose target/tactical and hunting, the 783 may be a little better choice due to the thicker barrel.  There is a real good price on one right now at buds: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/84444

That puts it right in the range with the American's price.  You'll just have to buy two Rem 700 front sight bases since the 783 doesn't come with any.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top