Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2014 3:09:06 AM EDT
Although I have multiple MilSurp bolt guns I have never had a modern version.  Picked up the Ruger American the other day in 30-06 to play around with (I shoot and reload for a Garand).  Like most of my guns this is a plinker and paper puncher, albeit a longer distance plinker and paper puncher.  Like most Ruger products this is a very well built rifle.  Cleaned, lubed and attached an old scope and sling and looking forward to a range trip later in the week.

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 4:28:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats, nice looking firearm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one in 308.  Very good rifle.  Ruger got this one right.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I think you will like it.  I got the 30-06 too.
At first I thought it was real rough, I found like 3 machine chips at first cleaning.  Be sure and tear down the bolt, a chip in there will not make your day.
But after 3 range trips and 40-60rnds the bolt is starting to get smoother.

Cast loads for this gun are a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up a RAR in .30-06 myself. Good to hear it's still popular...I was feeling a like an old fart in a sorta-young mans body.

Just got a Nikon Prostaff 5, 3.5-14x40 with mildot reticle to top it off. Waiting for that free cheek rest before fully fixing the scope down.

Quick pic:  

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I love mine in .308.  Ruger got this one right, for sure.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been seriously considering picking up a Ruger American in .308 to use later this year for deer season, and this thread is pushing me to do it.  Everything I read points to Ruger's American rifle as having accuracy beyond what it's budget price would seem to imply.  What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with yours?  I'm sure the rifle is plenty accurate for minute of deer, but I'm curious if it has enough to make it rewarding to work up handloads for punching paper as well?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been seriously considering picking up a Ruger American in .308 to use later this year for deer season, and this thread is pushing me to do it.  Everything I read points to Ruger's American rifle as having accuracy beyond what it's budget price would seem to imply.  What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with yours?  I'm sure the rifle is plenty accurate for minute of deer, but I'm curious if it has enough to make it rewarding to work up handloads for punching paper as well?
View Quote

Well as soon as the weather breaks, I'll be headed out to sight in.  I'll try to remember to come back to this thread and let you know how it goes.  I've read reports of sub-MOA, but I wouldn't expect it (especially not from me!).
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I am having more fun with the American 30-06 than with the M77Mk2 308 I have.

30-06, 150gr lead lee bullet, over 16gr of 2400.
5 rnds, about 1600fps, range 100yrds.  10power cheap scope.  Using a bag rest on a bench.
3 touchers in line, 1 rd 1 inch to the right, 1 rd 1 inch to the left.

I think this gun can do better.  I see no reason why I could not get 5 touchers with this gun.
I just don't think I am that steady.
Its certainly the best I have shot, in comparison my M77Mk2 16.5"brl in 308, I cant hit squat with at 100yrds.

Factory ammo in both are hard recoiling.

Handloads are much calmer.
My goal is to get some 200gr lead around 2000fps...in that area, where its most accurate.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]
With the right ammo its a one MOA rifle.  Mine likes Federal Premiuim.  In 308 I don't find it hard recoiling at all, and I tend to be sensitive to that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome! I am looking for one in 243.  I would like to have the all weather compact.

I am just glad to hear people thoughts about this rifle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well I am having more fun with the American 30-06 than with the M77Mk2 308 I have.

5 rnds, about 1600fps, range 100yrds.  10power cheap scope.  Using a bag rest on a bench.

I think this gun can do better.  I see no reason why I could not get 5 touchers with this gun.
Its certainly the best I have shot, in comparison my M77Mk2 16.5"brl in 308, I cant hit squat with at 100yrds.

My goal is to get some 200gr lead around 2000fps...in that area, where its most accurate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.  If I can get a budget priced near-MOA rifle to carry in the field and also experiment some with handloads for accuracy I will be very happy.  I think I'm going to wait for the all weather stainless rifles that are supposedly coming out this month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top