Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I handled one as well.  I really like how light it feels compared to my 716.  I may have to lay it away if it's still there when I go back.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I handled one as well.  I really like how light it feels compared to my 716.  I may have to lay it away if it's still there when I go back.
View Quote

I'm a big fan of the SIG piston system and the choice between the SR556 and the SIG516 is a tough one.  But that ain't really the case with the SIG716 and the SR762.  I think the Ruger's a way better balanced machine.  The SIG's just too darned heavy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:The SIG's just too darned heavy.
View Quote

Agreed.  If the Sig had that weight with a 20" barrel I could understand.  I haven't made it back to the shop.  I'm afraid I'll be $1600 in the hole if I do.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally shot mine for the first time today after buying it back in November of last year (I know, November...... ?).  Since it was an early gun (S/N in the mid-1000s) and came with 3 gen 2 Pmags, I was expecting failures.  I was surprised to find that I only had one failure to feed, and that was with the new metal DPMS mag that I brought because that was supposedly the "fix" for the early ones.  All 3 of the Gen 2 Pmags, as well as a 10rd Gen 3, ran perfectly.  Tried M852 Match, old Hansen (Yugo) 147 gr., and German MEN 86 ammo.  Everything that fed went boom, and all shooting was done with the gas regulator on the normal 2 position.

I suspect the single failure was a problem with the DPMS mag.  It was the next to last round in the mag, and the bullet nose may have dragged on the inside of the mag.  Used other mags for the rest of the shoot, and it ran fine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Finally shot mine for the first time today after buying it back in November of last year (I know, November...... ?).  Since it was an early gun (S/N in the mid-1000s) and came with 3 gen 2 Pmags, I was expecting failures.  I was surprised to find that I only had one failure to feed, and that was with the new metal DPMS mag that I brought because that was supposedly the "fix" for the early ones.  All 3 of the Gen 2 Pmags, as well as a 10rd Gen 3, ran perfectly.  Tried M852 Match, old Hansen (Yugo) 147 gr., and German MEN 86 ammo.  Everything that fed went boom, and all shooting was done with the gas regulator on the normal 2 position.

I suspect the single failure was a problem with the DPMS mag.  It was the next to last round in the mag, and the bullet nose may have dragged on the inside of the mag.  Used other mags for the rest of the shoot, and it ran fine.
View Quote

Jesus Christ!  You have more discipline than I do by not shooting it for that long.

Thanks for the report.  I need to get back and see if it's still there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ!  You have more discipline than I do by not shooting it for that long.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Made up for not shooting it for so long by putting another 90 rounds through it today.  Again had a jam on feeding the next to last round from the DMPS metal mag.  Loading the mag with some dummy rounds when I got home, I'm 100% sure it's a mag problem.  Pmags, 20 and 10 rd, Gen 2 and Gen 3, all fed, fired, and ejected 100%.  Ruger claims their 2-stage piston design makes for lighter recoil, and I have to agree, it's at lot less harsh on my shoulder than other .308s.  Trigger is standard military, a little on the heavy side, but not as bad as some triggers on other AR's I've had.  Probably go with a SSA-E trigger for the future.  Like the lightweight handguard they put on it, although you have to use the finger groove rails or something else because it does get very warm in extended shooting.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Like the lightweight handguard they put on it, although you have to use the finger groove rails or something else because it does get very warm in extended shooting.

View Quote

The heat transfer has been one of my continued complaints with Ruger's system.  I wonder what removing the flange on the gas block would do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=963062

Ruger has partnered with UTG airsoft
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
When I checked out a SR-762 recently I really liked the way it handled so the above link made me curious. It did not seem correct but after not reading any real answer I asked Ruger if they used a UTG part. Their answer was..

Response:
We do indeed use a UTG buffer tube on the SR-762, which is forged and machined in the USA to Ruger specifications. Thank you for your email.

Short and to the point :)

If it was to their specifications then the tube should not have the UTG logo stamped on it but their gun so they can do what they want I guess.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine and other early guns don't have the UTG logo, so I'm not sure whether UTG was always making them.  If they were, it's strange that they would decide mid-production to start putting on their logo.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, to be honest... if ruger says it's good enough for their weapons, then chances are they are up to snuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]
How do you think the Ruger compares to other .308 rifles out there?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had mine for about 4 months now and it has been flawless. Factory ammo, handloads, all feed just fine.

I've only used mags that came with it, so I can't say how others will work.

cap
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm new to the AR 10 arena and just picked one of these up. Will any AR style trigger fit these rifles?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm new to the AR 10 arena and just picked one of these up. Will any AR style trigger fit these rifles?
View Quote

You shouldn't have any problem but it's probably a good idea to check with your trigger's manufacturer to confirm.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well, to be honest... if ruger says it's good enough for their weapons, then chances are they are up to snuff.
View Quote

What options do you have to swap this out for a high quality setup?

Also is the UTG MIL-Spec or commercial?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top