Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2013 5:56:36 AM EDT
Has anyone seen or gotten their hands on this new version of the Gunsite Scout ?  I got notified with a Ruger add on email and it is on their website.  All of them are "allocated" per Davidsons.  I am on the hunt for one.

Kevin

New Stainless Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle:
Ruger now offers a second variation of the popular Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle chambered in .308 Win. Unlike the original blued rifle with its 16.5” barrel, the latest rifle features a stainless steel receiver and 18” stainless steel barrel
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder why they extended the barrel another 1.5".  Either way it is a bad### rifle!  I can't wait to see one in stores.  I was getting ready to go with the Alloy Matte Black but this is looking pretty sexy!

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been contemplating picking up a second GSR because I love mine so much. I will most certainly be getting one of those stainless models.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I will have to keep my eyes open for this one -  
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]

I love my blued GSR. Wouldn't mind the stainless but I think the blued model looks better. Currently looking for a shorter muzzle device, either a brake or hider, because the stock one seems to catch on a lot of brush when I took it deer hunting this past weekend. Might even go with the thread protector like 0utkast (forum member) has on his rifle.

Link Posted: 1/24/2013 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been contemplating picking up a second GSR because I love mine so much. I will most certainly be getting one of those stainless models.

I was thinking the exact same thing... I don't need two of the same rifle... But I can somehow justify this to myself... I think might get a Hawkeye Compact with the stainless and laminate instead though. I've been looking at those for some time now.

Quoted:
Might even go with the thread protector like 0utkast (forum member) has on his rifle.

Link Posted: 1/24/2013 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn that is what I was wanting all along, stainless with a 18" barrel. I could do without the flashhider however.

I may have to add to my growing Ruger collection after my next deployment.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#7]
an excuse to buy a second one

yes!!!

I really want the guide gun in 30/06
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
So why the barrel length difference?  Just cause?
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Where is the synthetic stock variant?
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There isn't one at the moment and from what I have read, Ruger currently has no plans for one. But there certainly will be some aftermarket stocks available before too long. The GSR is just too awesome for a high profile company not to make a quality synthetic stock for this.

I would like to see a the following features on a synthetic stock:

Skeletalized buttstock or "paddle" oar stock; and...
Side folding
Short picatinny rails @ 3, 6 & 9 o'clock for mounting lights (think hog gun) and a stubby VFG or Grip Pod @ 6.

All this while cutting another 8 to 12 ounces or more from total weight.

Then I could save my beautiful laminate stock for displaying my GSR!

For factory options, I would really, really love to see the GSR available in 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmore, .257 Roberts, .270 Winchester & .30-06. Even better, a modular GSR with interchangable barrels so you can just buy the barrel and bolt, then swap on the fly.

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the 18 inch stainless was the export model.

over on the scout rifle forum, there is a multipage thread asking for this model in the US
The Australian version is like this....but without the muzzle device.

a lot of the guys wanted this stainless version without the muzzle compensator.

You are incorrect and your information is outdated. This is a domestic model, not an export model. And anyone who doesn't like the muzzle device can remove it in less than two minutes.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

FWIW, there was also a domestically available stainless Gunsite with a 16" barrel and a walnut stock as a Cabela's exclusive. I've only seen two personally. They are rare creatures.

Domestic stainless GSR:

Export stainless GSR:

Limited production Cabela's model (this one is or was owned by member "double_r76" here on ARFcom):

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
an excuse to buy a second one

yes!!!

I really want the guide gun in 30/06

Yeah me too....only I would like mine in 270

I did get my back order of Scout mags from Brownells today though so I'll I need now is a rifle
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#14]
nvr mind
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone get a visual n one of these yet ?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been looking for one of these for a while...seem to be a unicorn in my area right now...

ETA:  Both the new version and the original...just cant find them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:50:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't one at the moment and from what I have read, Ruger currently has no plans for one. But there certainly will be some aftermarket stocks available before too long. The GSR is just too awesome for a high profile company not to make a quality synthetic stock for this.

Side folding
Short picatinny rails @ 3, 6 & 9 o'clock for mounting lights (think hog gun) and a stubby VFG or Grip Pod @ 6.

For factory options, I would really, really love to see the GSR available in 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmore, .257 Roberts, .270 Winchester & .30-06. Even better, a modular GSR with interchangeable barrels so you can just buy the barrel and bolt, then swap on the fly.

.270 and .30-06 would require a long-action receiver and bolt. Not that rifles in those calibers are a bad thing, but short-action is more in line with the Scout concept as expressed by Col. Cooper. And that concept was the point of the RGSR, if I remember right: a short, light, handy bolt-action in a decent (.308) cartridge, effective to 500y or so.
Adding the 1/2"-3/4" each to the chamber, bolt, receiver, and stock to accommodate long-action cartridges like .30-06 would add weight and bulk to the rifle without meaningful performance increases within the rifle's design envelope.

Now the other .308Win-based cartridges like 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor would be pretty cool. Preferably in that order, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 3:16:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Side folding

For factory options, I would really, really love to see the GSR available in 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmore, .257 Roberts, .270 Winchester & .30-06. Even better, a modular GSR with interchangeable barrels so you can just buy the barrel and bolt, then swap on the fly.

.270 and .30-06 would require a long-action receiver and bolt. Not that rifles in those calibers are a bad thing, but short-action is more in line with the Scout concept as expressed by Col. Cooper. And that concept was the point of the RGSR, if I remember -3/4" each to the chamber, bolt, receiver, and stock to accommodate long-action cartridges like .30-06 would add weight and bulk to the rifle without meaningful performance increases within the rifle's design envelope.

Now the other .308Win-based cartridges like 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor would be pretty cool. Preferably in that order, IMO.

Wasn't the 7mm-08 originally designed as a work-aaround for jurisdictions that prohibited firearms in military calibers?

From what little I know, that sounds plausible, and I believe (though I'm not certain) that Col. Cooper also suggested it as an alternate Scout chambering in places where "military" calibers are restricted, or for folks who are a little more recoil-sensitive.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#20]
This longer barreled rifle looks ungainly to me with the flash suppressor. Steyr Cooper has a 19" barrel and with the slim fluted barrel profile and longer rifle stock it looks shorter. Stainless is an OK idea if you need it. GSR's are till a good buy if you can't pony up for the real Scout.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Parts for the Ruger are readily available....I would hate to have to find let alone pay for Steyrs 10rd magazines....meanwhile Brownells has a boat load of Ruger 10rd'rs....
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been looking for one also, but now this Ruger Scout Stainless with a 18" barrel adds a new twist the the problem. I have to have one also.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Here are non-catalog pix of my export GSR with 18" barrel and no flashhider:

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I hate you so much. You post pics of your export stainless version on every Gunsite Scout Rifle forum on the Internet! I will get you back by posting pictures of my US stainless version if they ever ship them.

So just to sum it up, I am jealous, I hate you, and I'll get you back. In the meantime post pictures and load data on what works well in your gun.

Also I have been wanting to know if an AR10 short smith vortex or AAC Blackout would fit on the threaded version and how much better it would work than the stock hider.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]
</a>" />
I found my stainless GSR today in stock at my LGS
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Has anyone seen or gotten their hands on this new version of the Gunsite Scout ?  I got notified with a Ruger add on email and it is on their website.  All of them are "allocated" per Davidsons.  I am on the hunt for one.

Kevin

Ruger now offers a second variation of the popular Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle chambered in .308 Win. Unlike the original blued rifle with its 16.5” barrel, the latest rifle features a stainless steel receiver and 18” stainless steel barrel

What's the difference between the GSR and the standard besides the barrel length? Does the standard rifle have a stainless receiver?
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wonder why they extended the barrel another 1.5".  Either way it is a bad### rifle!  I can't wait to see one in stores.  I was getting ready to go with the Alloy Matte Black but this is looking pretty sexy!

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/images/6821.jpg

And a lefty...........
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Now if they brought out a 16" in 358 win...
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kevin

What's the difference between the GSR and the standard besides the barrel length? Does the standard rifle have a stainless receiver?

Just got my Stainless Steel Gunsite left hand yesterday along with a XS rail. I'm going to give a one piece Armalite 30mm scope mount with a Leupold VX6 1-6x scope a try out at the range tomorrow. Yes, I know it's all bs without pictures.......I'll see what I can do.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#33]
What is the thread size on that SS GSR?

Will any .308 FH, e.g. the Phantom ones, fit?

Hermann
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the thread size on that SS GSR?

Will any .308 FH, e.g. the Phantom ones, fit?

Hermann
View Quote

Says on their website the thread size is 5/8x24 and that most .30 caliber muzzle accessories will work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Saw one at my LGS a couple days ago
no money for it right now

It would look great next to my standard version
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:18:25 AM EDT
[#36]
These rifles are a hit! I'm very pleased with the way they shoot, find them to be very accurate. I tried a MRAD brake on my second one, although effective, extremely loud. I put the standard FH back on. In general, I shoot mine in various positions as I would in hunting scenarios and don't find the recoil to be an issue. Prone load testing, maybe but that doesn't take long. I agree, a 7-08 or .243 would be great, especially for my daughter.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many of us feel that an 18" bbl. is a better optimum length for the .308 cartridge than 16"

You gain about 100 fps going from 16" to 18".

To gain another 100 fps you need to go to about 22".

Pressure curve thing.

Link Posted: 12/26/2013 5:07:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Many of us feel that an 18" bbl. is a better optimum length for the .308 cartridge than 16"

Pressure curve thing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pressure curve thing.

Very good info ... I have an 18" DPMS LR-308

I have wanted a Gunsite scout ever since Ruger introduced , I want one even more now that they have an 18" , I would remove the muzzle device ( I have zero use for this and I like the look without it )

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top