Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just got mine last week and I love it. I took the rail off until I can afford a decent scope. A2 flash hider will go on soon!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/dpkoons/EF7201AD-0A0B-4E3F-A255-3619157CE73D-1349-000002845852C89F.jpg

Another light colored one! Looks great!
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Fantastic updates in this thread - awesome!
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just got mine last week and I love it. I took the rail off until I can afford a decent scope. A2 flash hider will go on soon!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/dpkoons/EF7201AD-0A0B-4E3F-A255-3619157CE73D-1349-000002845852C89F.jpg

That looks almost FDE looks great.

I like all the different shades they are coming out with makes all the rifles really unique.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks almost FDE looks great.

I like all the different shades they are coming out with makes all the rifles really unique.

Exactly! I love it, never know what you're going to get when you pop open the box. Luckily, they all look good too!
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#5]
My new night huting rig... Now jest need high rings to see over the DBAL...

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:13:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Man that is sweet! Thanks for sharing... Inspiration to start saving again! I've been wanting a PVS-22 and a titanium .30 cal can for a long time but I can't afford such things right now.

ETA: Pic thread. I just did the full Froglube treatment on my GSR. Didn't slick up the action any like it did on my semi-autos, but you can really feel the difference on all the exterior surfaces. I love this shit.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Took mine to the range today in a frustrating attempt to zero.
Frustrating in that I was at a public range with all sorts of annoying time limits, and mandatory cease fires ever 15 mins, and dealing with a recalcitrant and craptastic spotting scope.
Long story short, the fault was all mine and I will be purchasing a membership to a private range this week.

Here is the gun wearing the LeupoldVX-R 1.5-5 Firedot Scout Scope that I bought from SWFA. Its in Warne low scope mounts

One of the things that annoyed the crap out of me today was that the bolt kept getting stuck in this position after firing:

I had to smack it to get it to eject the spent brass, and then it loaded smoothly.
After firing that round, it would do the same thing.
It didnt do that for the first 5 rounds or so.
I was concerned that maybe the bolt was sticking due to a lack of lube so I took it out and hit it liberally with CLP.....and it continued to happen.
Any thoughts as to why this is happening?
It currently has about 35 rounds of military 147 gr ball ammo through it. I didnt try anything else in it while zeroing at the range today.
Possibly just breaking in of the rifle?

I have to say that even though the first range outing with the rifle sucked hard, I like the rifle's ergonomics, and wont judge the overall performance of the rifle until after shooting it more and really breaking it in.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a bummer, about the range and the issues you had. I've never had an issue with the bolt sticking like that before. I had a similar problem in a Winchester Model 70 one time where the bolt would rotate up, but extracting the spent casing was difficult. It was caused by a (badly) out-of-spec chamber which allowed the casings to bulge considerably upon firing. I haven't heard of any issues like that with the GSRs so perhaps take some different ammo with you next time and see if it still hangs? You could also try polishing the locking lugs to see if that makes it easier to cycle the bolt. Sometimes slicking the bolt up a little bit makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine locked up probably 3 times out of 60 or so with my surplus crap I was shooting.

Once I had to use a log to smack the bolt back.

I assumed it was because I was using crappy ammo?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't shot any surplus 7.62x51 ball through my GSR but I do have some laying around here. Maybe I'll shoot 30 or so rounds of it next time I get to the range and see if I get similar results.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#11]
If the bolt is hard to move most likely the head space is wrong.

If you are using surplus ammunition then try something new like federal.

I have had similar problems with surplus military ammunition and hand loads I didn't resize correctly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll shoot some other ammo through it as soon as I can.
I've still got a 200 rd battle pack  of the 147 gr ammo and the 35 or so rounds I shot through it Sunday were loose leftovers from a previous pack so I figured I'd use those to get a baseline zero and get dialed in with the good stuff.

I'll let you guys know what happens when I do. Hoping for that to be sometime later this week or next.

I really hope I dont have to send the gun back to Ruger.
I was planning on using to deer hunt for the first time. Dad has been making noises about not going hunting anymore and I wanted to go at least once with him....
If the gun goes back to Ruger, its not going to be back in time to hunt in November....
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've still got a 200 rd battle pack  of the 147 gr ammo and the 35 or so rounds I shot through it Sunday were loose leftovers from a previous pack so I figured I'd use those to get a baseline zero and get dialed in with the good stuff.

I'll let you guys know what happens when I do. Hoping for that to be sometime later this week or next.

I was planning on using to deer hunt for the first time. Dad has been making noises about not going hunting anymore and I wanted to go at least once with him....
If the gun goes back to Ruger, its not going to be back in time to hunt in November....

Sounds like there's a good possibility its an ammo issue, but I can definitely understand wanting to use the surplus stuff for range time since you've got a good amount of it already. Good luck, let us know what happens.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What is you surplus ammo..? British..? Post an image..

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#15]
mine is all "FLB" argentine stuff and it does stick sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Pics of ammo as requested....

30 rounds total of 7.62x51. Two different manufacturers.

All brass except the one standing up at the top of the picture had some sort of scuff/scratch mark on the side of the case.

Markings at the bottom of the case.
20 were these, (I realize its slightly out of focus...it is stamped 88 and 12)

10 were these, (Marked T   Z  and 80...or 08 depending on how you hold it)

The scuff/scratch mark on all the cases but one is interesting to me....I dont see that in my AR brass....or any of my pistol brass....

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmm... Definitely try commercial ammunition before jumping to further conclusions, but the Winchester I spoke of earlier with the out of spec (oversized) chamber made similar marks on brass.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Planned on trying another type of ammo that is commercially available.
Its interesting/annoying(??) to me that there were no issues in feeding the ammo, but only on extracting the fired brass...

Also, its kinda tough to tell in those pictures, but the marks on the brass are all in about the same location...IE same "height" or distance from the neck of the brass as one another.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 1:02:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm assuming you've visually inspected the bore for rings or burrs that may be causing that? I've had friends with rifles that needed the bore of production rifles reamed before. It's pretty inexpensive but if you can't see or feel any protrusions or imperfections I think you can rule that out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I did a quick look down the barrel to boresight it and to make sure that there was nothing obstructing the bore before firing it, but no detailed inspection of the chamber.
As soon as I get the gun back from my dad I'll look more thoroughly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds good. I would still shoot it again with other ammo to see if commercial .308 gets the same scoring on the sides of the cases first. No sense in jumping to conclusions since I've never heard of issues like this with Rugers before.

If there are marks on the new brass, it can be hard to visually identify burrs, so wrap the end of a rod with a cotton cloth (something you know snags easily) and slowly swirl it around in there. If you feel or hear it catching on anything, there are probably burrs in the chamber left over from machining and it will need lapped. If there's no snagging, but you're still getting those marks on casings, the headspacing or chamber dimensions are likely out of spec and I'd definitely contact Ruger about it. I hope that's not the problem but we won't know until we get to there. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thoughts?

You do understand that you're shooting 7.62x51 NATO spec ammo in a 308 chamber? I'd assume that this was a headspace issue until proven otherwise.

As others have suggested, try some commercial 308 ammo, maybe even some Federal GMM; the odds are good that you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

You do understand that you're shooting 7.62x51 NATO spec ammo in a 308 chamber? I'd assume that this was a headspace issue until proven otherwise.

As others have suggested, try some commercial 308 ammo, maybe even some Federal GMM; the odds are good that you'll be fine.

7.62x51 is smaller than 308win, i.e you can shoot 7.62 in 308 but not 308 in 7.62. its opposite of 223 and 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

7.62x51 is smaller than 308win, i.e you can shoot 7.62 in 308 but not 308 in 7.62. its opposite of 223 and 5.56.

Wrong.

308 Winchester (SAAMI) Gauges
GO - 1.6300"
NOGO - 1.6340"
FIELD - 1.6380"

Shop (Military) Gauges
GO - 1.6350"
NOGO - 1.6405"
FIELD - 1.6455"

7.62x51mm NATO or 308 Winchester? What's the Difference?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#25]
OK, I'll flesh this out a little.

As noted above, the chamber specs differ between 7.62x51 NATO and 308 Winchester. However, the cartridge specs are the same. In an ideal world, the two types of ammo would be interchangeable. Most of the time we can get away with it, but not always.

Here are some issues that can be encountered by just randomly interchanging the two:

7.62 ammo in a 308 rifle:
1) 7.62 ammo is generally loaded to lower pressures than most commercial 308 ammo, so that's usually not an issue.
2) All 308 chambers are not the same, even for a given model of rifle from a given manufacturer. As a chamber reamer is used, it wears down, producing the tightest chambers that are still within SAAMI spec just before the reamer is retired from the assembly line.
3) All 7.62x51 ammo is not the same, especially given the wide range of countries that produce it.
4) If you have a situation where 7.62x51 ammo that is on the sloppy side of tolerances is fired in a tight 308 Win chamber, this can potentially create a short headspace condition, which can lead to difficult extraction. I believe that this is the situation that MaxxII is experiencing.

308 Win ammo in a 7.62 rifle
1) Commercial 308 ammo is often loaded to higher pressures than 7.62x51 ammo. This can lead to issues, especially in semi-autos.
2) The combination of a 7.62 chamber that is on the sloppy side of NATO spec plus commercial 308 ammo that is on the tight side of SAAMI specs can lead to a long headspace condition. This can lead to excessive brass stretching and potentially case head separation.

HTH. You can't just say that "one is smaller than the other" and expect that to explain all of the various factors involved.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Wrong.

308 Winchester (SAAMI) Gauges
GO - 1.6300"
NOGO - 1.6340"
FIELD - 1.6380"

Shop (Military) Gauges
GO - 1.6350"
NOGO - 1.6405"
FIELD - 1.6455"

7.62x51mm NATO or 308 Winchester? What's the Difference?

oops i shit u not i got that from good old arfcom a few years ago. The pressures are higher on a 308 im pretty sure
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

As noted above, the chamber specs differ between 7.62x51 NATO and 308 Winchester. However, the cartridge specs are the same. In an ideal world, the two types of ammo would be interchangeable. Most of the time we can get away with it, but not always.

Here are some issues that can be encountered by just randomly interchanging the two:

1) 7.62 ammo is generally loaded to lower pressures than most commercial 308 ammo, so that's usually not an issue.
2) All 308 chambers are not the same, even for a given model of rifle from a given manufacturer. As a chamber reamer is used, it wears down, producing the tightest chambers that are still within SAAMI spec just before the reamer is retired from the assembly line.
3) All 7.62x51 ammo is not the same, especially given the wide range of countries that produce it.
4) If you have a situation where 7.62x51 ammo that is on the sloppy side of tolerances is fired in a tight 308 Win chamber, this can potentially create a short headspace condition, which can lead to difficult extraction. I believe that this is the situation that MaxxII is experiencing.

1) Commercial 308 ammo is often loaded to higher pressures than 7.62x51 ammo. This can lead to issues, especially in semi-autos.
2) The combination of a 7.62 chamber that is on the sloppy side of NATO spec plus commercial 308 ammo that is on the tight side of SAAMI specs can lead to a long headspace condition. This can lead to excessive brass stretching and potentially case head separation.

HTH. You can't just say that "one is smaller than the other" and expect that to explain all of the various factors involved.

Perfect explanation, thanks for posting that. It's always good to have a refresher.

ETA: Page 6 of the pic thread needs... pics...

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I had originally assumed that since I was shooting 7.62 in a .308 I was good to go.
After your initial post, I did some digging and discovered the link you just posted.
We all know what happens when you assume, right?
Anyway, I just got a membership at a private range yesterday, hoping to have time to take the GSR and shoot it this weekend with commercial .308 loads.
That should determine one way or another if the gun needs to go back to Ruger, or if it just doesnt like 7.62 ammo.
Obviously, I'm hoping for just not liking 7.62 ammo.......

Gasman, thanks for posting that all up and summerizing it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Gasman (or anyone that knows),

Is difficulty extracting mean that I should stop shooting that type of ammunition? I mean, is it dangerous? For the price I got this ammo I would like to keep shooting it, of course.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is difficulty extracting mean that I should stop shooting that type of ammunition? I mean, is it dangerous? For the price I got this ammo I would like to keep shooting it, of course.

I dont see anything good coming from it.
Worst case scenario, I could end up damaging my rifle and getting injured in the process.
For me, its not worth it.
If my rifle has to go back to Ruger to get the chamber reamed out, then I might try it again, after measuring everything. If not, I'm just going to go along with the fact that my rifle really doesnt like 7.62 ammo.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I have had my GSR since July and I love more every time I look at it.  This weekend I decided to mount one of my Burris 2x handgun scopes to see if it was useable and it is!  I am really pleased with the look and operation of the scope so far and I am off to the range in the morning to see how it performs.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I dont see anything good coming from it.
Worst case scenario, I could end up damaging my rifle and getting injured in the process.
For me, its not worth it.
If my rifle has to go back to Ruger to get the chamber reamed out, then I might try it again, after measuring everything. If not, I'm just going to go along with the fact that my rifle really doesnt like 7.62 ammo.

Ok so I was curious regarding the whole 7.62x51 NATO vs. .308 thing, so I went shooting this morning and ran 20 rounds of Federal XM80C and 80 rounds of AE M1A through my GSR... I didn't have any issues with the bolt sticking, poor feeding or extraction, or anything like that. If I had been blindfolded, I wouldn't have known the difference between shooting it and any .308 rounds. In fact, it shot pretty well with the cheap XM80C and I wish I would've bought more of it when I had the chance!

It isn't not possible to rule out your particular rifle as the cause until you put some commercial .308 through it, BUT I highly suspect the tolerances on the ammo you were shooting may be loose, since both of the NATO loads I shot today were from Federal which I trust has better QC than bulk packaged ammunition of foreign manufacture.

Quoted:
I have had my GSR since July and I love more every time I look at it.  This weekend I decided to mount one of my Burris 2x handgun scopes to see if it was useable and it is!  I am really pleased with the look and operation of the scope so far and I am off to the range in the morning to see how it performs.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/musicman10_1/IMG_7318.jpg

Sweet! Nice sling too What part of the state are you from? Maybe we can hit the range together sometime.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/musicman10_1/IMG_7318.jpg

Sweet! Nice sling too What part of the state are you from? Maybe we can hit the range together sometime.[/quote]

I'm in Chandler.  Thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Impossible to say without knowing the details of your rifle and load.

Using tools such as GO-NO GO-FIELD headspace gauges and the Hornady headspace gauge would answer a lot of these questions.

But, if you have to ask yourself "is it safe to...", you probably already know the answer.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm in Chandler too actually, near the 202 and Dobson. Maybe we can get together at RSSC sometime.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Just need to find a sling for it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice rifles guys!
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Chandler too actually, near the 202 and Dobson. Maybe we can get together at RSSC sometime.

I too am in AZ.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#40]
AZ GSR owners meet?
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Mine, bought last weekend from an arfcommer. Quickly becoming my favorite rifle, not sure if I'm sold on the scout scope though. Looking at the XS rail with a traditional scope.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/GUNRUNNER84/DSC01111.jpg?t=1350065696

Mine, bought last weekend from an arfcommer. Quickly becoming my favorite rifle, not sure if I'm sold on the scout scope though. Looking at the XS rail with a traditional scope.

Can't go wrong with the XS rail for $80 or so. If you do decide to keep the scout scope, you can still mount it on the XS. If not, you're no longer stuck using Ruger's rings, and you get to keep your rear sight at the same time. It's a great piece of kit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I liked my GSR so much that I put together what I call my "Mini GSR" for a trainer and a small game hunting rifle to go with it. Both have (or will have shortly) 16" threaded barrels, polished bolts and internals, improved factory triggers, Leupold rings, 1.5-6x scopes with illumination and BDCs, Rock Mount bipods, aftermarket top rails, Blackhawk cheek pads and Blackhawk mountain slings with QD swivels, laminate stocks, detachable 10-round magazines, and they are within .75" and about .5lb of each other in size and weight. I just got back from the range today with both rifles. I finally bought myself a chronograph so I was able to finish the testing I started with the GSR back in August (see page 4).

Previously, I had noted that off-the-shelf 150 grain Federal and Hornady loads were shooting better groups and working better in conjunction with my BDC reticle than comparable factory loads in 165, 168, and 175 grain varieties. Well today I chrnono'd a few different loads, off-the-shelf AE 150gr. FMJ, AE 168gr. OTM, Federal Fusion 150gr. SSP, and Federal 168gr. TSX.

The average 168 grain loads were *barely* pushing out of my barrel at 2,450 fps with a high of 2,501 and a low of 2,420 (79-81 degrees, altitude 2,157 ft, 11mph winds, 32% humidity, barometer 29.88").

The 150s were doing a respectable 2,675 on average, with a high of 2,692 and a low of 2,661.

I'm definitely sticking with 150-grain bullets in my GSR after the results I got today, and hopefully I'll be back out to the range next month testing some handloads I'm working up. The goal is to run about 2,750 fps consistently with a 150-grain bullet out of the 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I liked my GSR so much that I put together what I call my "Mini GSR" for a trainer and a small game hunting rifle to go with it. Both have (or will have shortly) 16" threaded barrels, polished bolts and internals, improved factory triggers, Leupold rings, 1.5-6x scopes with illumination and BDCs, Rock Mount bipods, aftermarket top rails, Blackhawk cheek pads and Blackhawk mountain slings with QD swivels, laminate stocks, detachable 10-round magazines, and they are within .75" and about .5lb of each other in size and weight. I just got back from the range today with both rifles. I finally bought myself a chronograph so I was able to finish the testing I started with the GSR back in August (see page 4).

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/152/capturevyw.jpg

Previously, I had noted that off-the-shelf 150 grain Federal and Hornady loads were shooting better groups and working better in conjunction with my BDC reticle than comparable factory loads in 165, 168, and 175 grain varieties. Well today I chrnono'd a few different loads, off-the-shelf AE 150gr. FMJ, AE 168gr. OTM, Federal Fusion 150gr. SSP, and Federal 168gr. TSX.

The average 168 grain loads were *barely* pushing out of my barrel at 2,450 fps with a high of 2,501 and a low of 2,420 (79-81 degrees, altitude 2,157 ft, 11mph winds, 32% humidity, barometer 29.88").

The 150s were doing a respectable 2,675 on average, with a high of 2,692 and a low of 2,661.

I'm definitely sticking with 150-grain bullets in my GSR after the results I got today, and hopefully I'll be back out to the range next month testing some handloads I'm working up. The goal is to run about 2,750 fps consistently with a 150-grain bullet out of the 16" barrel.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/Undividedusa/IMAG2203_zps3a58ca6a.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/Undividedusa/IMAG2205_zps63bbbadf.jpg

Very cool
Can you tell us more about the .22? Looks to be a Savage, what barrel and stock do you have on there?

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Very cool
Can you tell us more about the .22? Looks to be a Savage, what barrel and stock do you have on there?

Thank you! I wanted to have my GSR for big critters and a matching Mini GSR for little critters. It is indeed a Savage MKII... I started with the FV-SR because it already had a 16" threaded barrel and the EGW rail. I brought it home, tore it down, cleaned it, polished the bore with J-B compound, stripped the factory finish from the bolt, polished it with Flitz to look more like the GSR's bolt, deburred the bolt and receiver, filed the bearing surfaces, dry Teflon treated the bolt internals, Loc-Tited and re-torqued the EGW base, and fully treated it with Froglube before ever firing a shot. Since my GSR has a 1.5-6x Burris XTR, I wanted to stick with an optic with the same magnification range and BDC, so I opted for a Weaver 1.5-6x. Both rifles wear Leupold rings (QRW on the Ruger and PRW on the Savage). Both rifles also have Blackhawk mountain slings on them right now, but I also have Ching slings for them. I'm still waiting on the matching Blackhawk stock pouch and QD swivels for the Savage, but again, both rifles will have the same parts. The Savage is also upgraded with DIP oversized trigger guard with an overtravel stop and their thick bottom metal kit. Both rifles have  Rock Mount bipods. To finish the whole GSR look and feel, I bought a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter "pepper" colored laminate stock. I wasn't completely satisfied with the stock Accu-Trigger even after adjusting it, so I tore it down again and stoned the sear, shortened the trigger return spring, polished, Teflon treated, and then graphite lubed all the mating surfaces in the mechanism, then put it back together. Now it only has 1/16" of (very smooth) take up, a very crisp break at about 10oz, and zero overtravel. Its actually lighter than my GSR's trigger now, but just as crisp and the take up has been cleaned up a lot.

I need better pictures, but suffice it to say they're a match made in heaven.

Oh yeah, and this little guy shoots!! It was grouping right around .25" at 25 yards, .5" at 50 yards, and that was in 11mph winds with 20mph gusts that caused horizontal stringing and stretched my groups.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks Outkast. I always love the updates.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thanks Outkast. I always love the updates.

Glad you enjoy it! Once I work up a winning load for my rifle I'll be sure to share it for any reloaders we may have here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally got to take mine to the range again today....

Fired a total of 38 rounds through it with none of the bolt sticking issues I had prior. Interestingly enough, all of the brass had similar scuff marks on it like I had with the 7.62 ammo I shot through it previously and had issues with the bolt not wanting to open.

Shot the following ammunition through it:

20 rds of Federal 308 150 gr soft point
6 rds of Winchester 308 180 gr Power Point
3 rds of Hornady 308 165 gr Superformance
3 rds of Federal 308 168 gr Gold Medal Match
6 rds of my fathers handloaded 165 gr Nosler

The first 3 types of ammo didnt so much group as pattern.....as in shotgun pattern. So nasty that I didnt keep the targets or take pictures. I was getting discouraged and annoyed.
Another shooter at the range and I began talking.....and I explained I was having a bad day, etc. He offered to shoot a few rounds to see if it was the rifle or the dope behind the gun.

He loaded up 3 rounds of the Gold Medal Match and shot at the 100 yd targets:

That group was significantly better than anything I had shot thus far at 1.5 inches.
Feeling better about the rifle, I grabbed the handloads my dad had given me and I shot 2 sight in rounds and then the following:

That's 4 rounds at under an inch at 100 yds.
I'm not a bench rest shooter and am very new to 308's, and it shows. But I'm planning on going back tomorrow morning and shooting some more. I'll be reshooting the first three ammo types that I had issues with today, just to see if the issue was me having a bad day, or if the gun really doesnt like those particular rounds.

I'm hoping it was just me, because I do like this rifle alot and wish I was getting the results that Outkast is....
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Okay went back to the range today and got much better results.
Using the same ammo as yesterday:

Federal 308 150 gr soft point
Winchester 308 180 gr Power Point
Hornady 308 165 gr SST Superformance

I got much better results.
The 150 Gr Federal actually shot about 3 inch groups at 100.
The Winchester 180 Gr Power Point was out to about 4 inches
and the Hornady 165 SST Superformance was actually at about 1.5 - 2 inches at 100 if you discount the one I pulled by jerking the trigger.....I knew I had done before I even looked.

Much better range session than yesterday and feeling much better about this rifle. I do need to get a bipod for it and might very well look into the Rock Mount that OutKast uses on his rifles. I had transferred a little thumbscrew bipod from my 10/22 to the Scout today before the range session and while it worked, I noticed it was loose at the last shot, so I'm guessing it wasnt designed to work for 308 recoil.

OutKast, can you post a better picture of how your Rock Mount bipod is attached to your rifle? I like that you've got a sling with it too.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Okay went back to the range today and got much better results.
Using the same ammo as yesterday:

Federal 308 150 gr soft point
Winchester 308 180 gr Power Point
Hornady 308 165 gr SST Superformance

I got much better results.
The 150 Gr Federal actually shot about 3 inch groups at 100.
The Winchester 180 Gr Power Point was out to about 4 inches
and the Hornady 165 SST Superformance was actually at about 1.5 - 2 inches at 100 if you discount the one I pulled by jerking the trigger.....I knew I had done before I even looked.

Much better range session than yesterday and feeling much better about this rifle. I do need to get a bipod for it and might very well look into the Rock Mount that OutKast uses on his rifles. I had transferred a little thumbscrew bipod from my 10/22 to the Scout today before the range session and while it worked, I noticed it was loose at the last shot, so I'm guessing it wasnt designed to work for 308 recoil.

OutKast, can you post a better picture of how your Rock Mount bipod is attached to your rifle? I like that you've got a sling with it too.....

Nice! You'll notice better and better results each time you hit the range. It took me some time getting familiar with the rifle, especially with all the stock spacers removed. I like the short LOP but it was definitely a huge adjustment for benchrest shooting.

I can definitely get pictures of my bipod for you, just give me a bit.

I forget, are you shooting with irons or do you have a scope on yours?

ETA: Never mind, I remember you got the Leupy 1.5-5x right?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top