Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2017 3:55:36 PM EDT
I'm trying to finish up my cqbr but don't know what barrel to get. I've seen them as cheap as $65 and as expensive as $3-400. What makes a $400 barrel better than a $65 barrel? Is the more expensive one going to be that much more accurate? I figure since this gun won't be used for anything out past a couple hundred yards or so the barrel doesn't need to be the best out there. Somebody tell me something I don't already know.

This is the barrel I'm thinking about getting:
https://www.classicfirearms.com/arbarrel11-5contourbarrel-556-1in8twist#product_tabs_reviews

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, a higher end barrel will likely be more accurate. But there is so much more to it than that. Bore lining, barrel material, profile, finish, concentric threading, crown type, etc. There is a lot that goes into a barrel. If you have no idea about any of this, you likely don't need the higher end barrels. If your intended use is plinking at the range and nothing more, Faxon or Ballistic Advantage have good mid-priced barrels that are frequently on sale for $150 or less.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
My personal choice is an 11.5" Spikes CHF barrel by FN.

I would follow the crowd and go BA or Faxon, nitride finish, for your general requirements.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
A 6.5 grendel one
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, a higher end barrel will likely be more accurate. But there is so much more to it than that. Bore lining, barrel material, profile, finish, concentric threading, crown type, etc. There is a lot that goes into a barrel. If you have no idea about any of this, you likely don't need the higher end barrels. If your intended use is plinking at the range and nothing more, Faxon or Ballistic Advantage have good mid-priced barrels that are frequently on sale for $150 or less.
View Quote
The Faxon I own and the FaxonS my buddy owns are very accurate.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
$145 if you get the LEO, Military or Veteran discount - goes on sale from time to time.
I like the NiB extension.

11.5 inch DSG Barrel
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently bought a Sionics 11.5" barrel; a little cheaper than the BCM with FSB and gas tube. Nice barrel, highly recommend it for $249
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I just recently replaced my Daniel Defense
11.5 Barrel with an 11.3 in Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel. The BA barrel is more accurate and nowhere near as over gassed as the Daniel Defense Barrel was.

I also just purchased a Faxon barrel as I have heard many good things, but I have not had the chance to shoot that barrel yet.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Ballistic Advantage is my go to barrel source.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone know about the barrel I have listed from classic firearms? It's $65. Will I notice a difference for some casual plinking between this and a Faxon or Ballistic Advantage? Thanks all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone know about the barrel I have listed from classic firearms? It's $65. Will I notice a difference for some casual plinking between this and a Faxon or Ballistic Advantage? Thanks all.
View Quote
I don't have any knowledge of or experience with the barrel you linked.

I do have a Faxon 11.5" and am very happy with it. It's an accurate barrel and I like the QPQ finish a lot.

I also have a Faxon 14.5" and the same comments apply.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally. I would not own a $65.00 barrel for any reason.
That is one component you shouldn't really cheap out on.
My opinion...
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought the Faxin 11.5 Big Gunner from Right to Bear Arms for cheap, site sponsor and super fast shipping, don't buy the cheap barrel OP and do yourself a favor
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]
There are plenty of great barrels for affordable prices; namely from Ballistic Advantage and Faxon.  More expensive barrels above that are often due to materials/finish (hammer forging and chrome lined for example) plus brand in certain cases.  Hammer forged chrome lined barrels do have their merits but for general use they are probably not the best value these days.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:20:25 AM EDT
[#15]
One thing to be careful of is that Faxon does a mid length on their 11.5 (At least that is what is on their site). That being said, depending on the rail, the gas block will interfere with rail fitment.

Also, I've had really bad luck with the Spikes/FN 11.5" CHF barrels. Shop I was working at bought 5 of them in 2012 and none of them worked (pinned rear sight all the way to the left and was still off center). Waited a couple years and figured it would be fine so I bought another one (2015). Same issue, pinned rear sight all the way to the left and could not get the thing zeroed. If you want a good CHF barrel, go Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#16]
You're all right! Probably shouldn't skimp on the barrel. So now the question is Faxon or Ballistic Advantage? The major difference being the BA barrel has a carbine gas system and the Faxon has a mid-length. The gun will be suppressed 95% of the time and will have an adjustable gas block. Will one shoot better than the other?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Carbine would be (has been) my choice due to longer dwell time, which gives you more flexibility,
especially since you are going to install an adjustable gas block (buy SLR, BTW).
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:26:07 AM EDT
[#18]
The barrel should fit the build IMO.

If you're going for a budget build buy a cheap barrel. If you're building a nice rifle include a quality barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top