Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 6:10:26 PM EDT
I've built an 8" .300 which is functioning well, but seems louder than it could be.

I built an 8" Freeze Plug Suppressor. Titanium tube, 2 inch blast chamber and 11 baffles.

I first ran Remington 220gr subsonics through it at an indoor range and was happy with how quiet it was.

I've run other "subsonic" factory ammo through in indoors and out and it doesn't seem to be as quiet as I expected outdoors.

Any one have better results with one make over another or helpful suggestions? I'm looking into borrowing a friends chronometer to see if different brands are going super or not.

Thanks in advance!

SMS-ret
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.

That stupid a question, huh?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm interested in the answer too, however I've only shot Gorilla brand 220gr subsonic so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have tried the Federal, Remington, and S&B subs.  Noise levels are subjective but here are my experiences with a 10.5" SBR with an Omega.

Remington - shitty ammo.  Had week ejection suppressed and unsuppressed.  Lots of FTF from weak ejection.  Fairly quiet.  Would not buy again.

S&B - quiet, cheap, reliable.  What's not to like?  A little louder sounding than Federal? Tough call without a dB meter.

Federal - reliable and quietest sounding.

I did not test for accuracy as I was using my Eotech.  When my Steiner arrives and I get some time I will shoot some groups.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Great info! Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:21:07 AM EDT
[#5]
For what it's worth I've had no jam issues with Remington other than one time where I did so much shooting that a serious layer of carbon fouled the action sufficiently that it wouldn't go back all the way into battery. I was running the bcg dry...and it was a lot of carbon. Don't really blame the ammo for that.

I am glad to hear that the S&B works well though...I have a case I haven't cracked yet...
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, shot some Hornady Black with the 208 amax this weekend.  Metered right at 1000 fps (1002, 997, 1007).  It was quite and ran well. The Black box is about $2.00 less than the standard Hornady and as far as I can tell is the exact same stuff.

I was testing out some supersonic loads I worked up with 125g SST and 110g Barnes Ttsx bullets while sighting in the Steiner.  I did not get a chance to really concentrate on grouping the Hornady or other subs but with those numbers I expect it to do well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, most factory subs are all about the same because they almost all use the same powder and load. I would just find whatever brand your local store has that you know runs reliably and shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I like PNW
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought some SilencerCo Harvester ammo (220 match king). Was promised to be the quietest, and most accurate 300 blk ammo available. I was pretty happy with how quiet it was. Now I think they only sell it at silencerco distributors, I can't find it online anymore. I purchased a good bulk of that and a very large bulk purchase of the Gemtech 187 gr. So I don't have a lot to compare. The report wasn't all that different imo but I will never buy the gemtech again because of the un burned filler that gets all up in the receivers and receiver extension.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
My ears could be deceiving me but so far the hornaday black 300blk 208gr amax has seemed to be the quietest subsonic round in my opinion. I havent used alot of different brands either. Mostly rem 220gr and sig 220gr have seemed a lil louder than the hornaday. Pistol length gas system with aac 762 sdn6
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I've shot a lot of different factory subs and like S&b the best
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I have shot federal, Remington, UMC, PNW, Hornady, and a couple others. PNW had the quietest subsonic bar none. It was also extremely accurate. The Remington green and yellow has also been good. The UMC is horrible. Half of it has been supersonic. Federal and hornady have both been fine. But I suggest getting a case of PNW. Super quiet and very accurate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Midway says the pnw subs is a discontinued product...did they replace it with a new sub load or...?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]
The Gemtech 220 grain ammo has been quiet and consistent in my guns (10.5" AR SBR with SDN-6 and a Ruger American Ranch 16" bolt action with a DM 7x1.625" F1 can).
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Not sure on factory, but I did pick up a box of "black" to compare to my loads (208 ELD)
by the numbers, im guessing it's close to the same load.

Shooting my 10" w/ YHM LT...its quiet.
Last time at the range, the guy to my right, as I was shooting had his back to me, and he kinda got excited and said he didn't know I was shooting tell he got hit on the back of the leg with my brass, and turned to see the next round go off and eject.

I have to say at the time, I was single loading the mag, so I would get bolt hold back and not hear the spring twang of the bolt closing and its a huge difference.
If I need super quiet like a "single shot".....I will single shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top