Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2017 2:44:59 PM EDT
I've been thinking about a 9mm AR SBR.  I have one registered SBR lower that will be serving a 300 BO and a 5.56 upper.  Thinking about adding a 9mm upper, just because.  I already have a TNW ASR carbine in 9mm and 10mm, but have not and probably won't SBR it.  I am really only interested in another 9mm as an SBR and use of Sten mags would be a big plus (I have a Sten semi-auto and plenty of mags).  Also plan to supress whatever I build/buy.

I was just about to buy a cheap PSA SBR/Pistol upper with their hybrid BCG and was going to play around with trying to get it to work with a Sten mag block.  But then I did more research and realize that will be quite a project and I certainly don't want to do anything that would damage my SBR lower.  I would play around with it in a cheaper pistol lower to start with.  Upper $300, mag block $85, plus parts and tinkering and no certainly of success.  Fallback would be using a mag block for Colt-type mags.

In 9mm, I understand the true Colt guns are kind of the gold standard:  pinned mag block, factory tested and tuned, warranty, etc.  A boxed Colt carbine can be bought for under $1000.  Then I could use it "as is" in carbine form and put in to SBR it.  Then I could have the barrel shortened when the SBR stamp comes in.  Or I could BUY an SBR version for about $1150, but then I wouldn't be able to play with it until the SBR papers come through.

And the "final" thought is to buy a built complete Colt upper group for about $700 and use it on my SBR lower after buying a Colt-style mag block for it ($100).

Or just bag the whole idea, SBR my ASR and be done with it.

Any other considerations?  Thoughts?

Rob
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt factory SBR. If a factory sbr is available it is always preferable IMO. That Colt offers a factory SBR, the decision is an easy one. No need to engrave your info and it will hold value better than a form-1 sbr. This may not seem important to you now, however what if you decide to sell it in 10 years? What do you think will be more valuable - a form-1 parts gun or a factory made Colt sbr?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Colt 6951. Shot it a bunch while waiting for my stamp. When the stamp came back, I sent it to ADCO and had them shorten the barrel. The thing has run 100% with all ammo both full size and after being cut down (suppressed and unsuppressed). May cost a few dollars more that way but works great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top