Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 4:59:33 PM EDT
I'm looking to get some feedback on a crazy idea I had. I got my sbr stamp a few weeks ago and my dumb arse dipped into my gun funds to build a .260 bolt gun and a wildcat barrel and upper.

anyways all I need to finish my 11.5" is a rail and buis. I don't want to skimp on those items so it will be another month or two before I can scrape up the funds.

so what does a guy do? He starts scraping around into his spare parts bin, I have already decided on running a 11.5" middy and I found a complete take off middy setup(delta ring, handgaurds, f marked fsb, larue buis, ect...) I mocked everything up and the shoulder for the threads is under the fsb. It wouldn't be a big deal to machine a thread extension and just profile it to .750 for the fsb. would only be like 1/2"

unless I like it, it would be a temporary setup. I would also be running a form 1 suppressor once that clears.

anyone running a kino type setup have any advice? or should I just set and stare at my stamp until I get the money to buy a rail and sights?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it!
I like kinos

I'm building a 13.7" kino
Ballistic Advantage middy, going to use an A2 FSB and pinned KX3 to get to 16.1"
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Would it be possible to get a pic of this setup?
I've got a sbr lower that needs some exercise!
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kinos are 12.5 guns.

Where did you find a middy 11.5?
View Quote
He prob has the faxon barrel. Only place I know that makes an 11.5" middy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He prob has the faxon barrel. Only place I know that makes an 11.5" middy.
View Quote
That thing probably has to have a chubby freaking gas port to run at all without a can.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Faxon 11.5" Gunner mid length gas port is .110" according to Faxon.

I have one, it is a little touchy setting up the gas, but smooth shooting. I changed the SLR block three clicks from reliable and mildly over gassed @ 2:00 ejection with a clean but dry rifle with weak Silver Bear unsuppressed and I have 4:30 ejection with a clean and well lubed rifle with a DT Omega with 5.56 end cap. Won't run Silver Bear unless well lubed, but runs Federal 55gr FMJs and Fiocchi 50gr VMax just fine. I need to go back one click.

OP - the Faxon 11.5" mid length has a .625" gas block journal, not .750" and ramps from the thin profile to provide an adequate shoulder for the threads, doesn't sound like you barrel. What barrel do you have?

JPK
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a green mountain gunsmith special barrel. its essentially a prechambered blank that already has an extension headspaced on it. 416 stainless 1:8 .223 wylde.

I will be contouring, threading, and porting the barrel myself. once my form 1 clears for my suppressor's this upper will be shot 99% suppressed.

at 11.5" it will not work as is in kino configuration. unless I ran it bare muzzle (which I won't) so I would have to make a threaded extension that's contoured for the fsb. just to get the threads past the bayonette lug. would only be basically the distance of a standard 1/2x28 threads with relief and shoulder.

I have already cut, faced, and crowned the barrel so no going back. had I considered this sooner I could have left enough material on to try a kino setup then cut/thread/crown it later as a 11.5" but whats done is done.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would it be possible to get a pic of this setup?
I've got a sbr lower that needs some exercise!
View Quote
here's a random google picture of a 12.5" kino with a suppressor. the true kino is a 12.5" barrel with a carbine gas system. basically like a longer mk18 cqbr or a mini dissipator.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#9]
So after some measuring and more reading I've decided on shifting gears and trying something that I have yet to see. being that I already have a 14.5" recce upper that i'm going to now convert to a OTB mount for my suppressor and that my dissipator was my favorite upper untill I got into the quality optic game.

I'm going to go through with the 11.5" "kino" with a carbine +1" gas system (so between a carbine and middy in length) I bought a 10" guntec m lok rail(since this is an experiment I figured it would fit the bill and it seems decent for how inexpensive it is) that i'm going to FSP cut. If I like the concept and dislike the guntec rail i'll eventually run a midwest Gen 3 M lok 10.5" rail also fsp cut. to match my 12.625" on the recce.

since there is no reason for a bayonet lug on this i'm going to shave it and the sling lugs off to shed a hair of an ounce. lol as well as bringing the diameter of the barrel between the fsb to .625" and what little is left from the fsb to the thread shoulder with a govt profile from the chamber to fsb shoulder.

i'll go ahead and just use this thread as a build thread. I will update things as parts show up and it progresses forward.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
bump to keep it out of the archives. my progress has been postponed until I get some free time. had some family issues derail my life these last 2 months.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#11]
hopefully last bump before completion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top