Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 11:38:10 PM EDT
Ok so I was sitting here wondering if I have to put my home city/state that is listed on the Form 1 on the engraving, or could i theoretically drive to a nearby town and "make" the firearm there?

For instance, I live in town A, but grew up in town/community B 15 miles away. I file Form 1 under my current address at town A, but get my lower engraved with town B, and when tax stamp arrives I go to my dad's house and build it there. Would that be kosher? As far as I can tell from the regulations it seems to add up, but I'm hoping one of y'all can pitch in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, perfectly kosher.  The engraving should match where you complete the assembly of the NFA item.  The only thing that would make it a bit hairy is if that were in a different state than the state on the form 1.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I live very close to the NM/TX state line, but no need to cross it for assembly.

Thanks for clarifying this though, will make my SBR build much more meaningful.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep.

If you live in Nacogdoches, Texas, it makes sense to drive up the road and make your gun in Alto or Rusk for engraving simplicity.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#4]
So another question, if I am 100% certain I won't be moving out of state anytime soon, is there any reason not to get my Form 1 filed the minute I get my lower in? My lower is the only part I plan on getting for a while, but as far as I can gather the form 1 is basically your permission to build an NFA firearm. Basically do I have a time frame to put the SBR together after I receive the tax stamp?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
File right away, you wont get it back for another 10 months so better start it as soon as you can.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
That's what I thought, ordered a lower from Aero Precision last week, and as soon as it arrives I'll get the paperwork started.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a question if I can hijack for a minute. My lower was made in my hometown and state, since it's already engraved on the lower does that count?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what I thought, ordered a lower from Aero Precision last week, and as soon as it arrives I'll get the paperwork started.
View Quote
Many like to function test the lower before sending $200. Use a 16" barrel upper or build it as a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a question if I can hijack for a minute. My lower was made in my hometown and state, since it's already engraved on the lower does that count?
View Quote
As long as that's where you make the firearm it would count.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top