Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 10:43:21 AM EDT
Has anyone ever had to ship a Form 1 sbr reciever back to a manufacturer for warranty repair?
I was under the impression that repair/gunsmithing work was fine, but wanted to see if there was anything special to know from anyone who has had to do this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]
You ship it direct to them, they ship it back to you.  No transfer takes place and it's really no different that repair work on any other firearm.  Just make sure the shipper you use doesn't have any special restrictions on the item.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks everyone, that was what I thought but wanted some feedback.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
What can they repair on a lower? I had to send back a lower once for warranty and they simply replaced it, new serial and everything.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
That would cause a problem, I think, unless they were able to destroy the old and apply the same serial number to the new.

Can they do that with suppressors or SBRs?

Rob
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would cause a problem, I think, unless they were able to destroy the old and apply the same serial number to the new.

Can they do that with suppressors or SBRs?

Rob
View Quote
As I understand it, you cannot do a "destroy and replace" on the serialized NFA item like you can with Title 1 firearms.

I believe some manufacturers got in trouble years back doing that to replace worn-out MG receivers, and the ATF put the brakes on it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Plus, if you're not shipping it with a barrel, it's not even an NFA item at that time.
View Quote
huh?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a dedicated colt 9mm lower, and the ejector is a pinned drop in.
I suspect the ejector may be faulty and that is the part I want to get swapped out.
They are mailing me the part, and I am going to see if I can replace it myself.

Hopefully I dont have to mail the lower back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As I understand it, you cannot do a "destroy and replace" on the serialized NFA item like you can with Title 1 firearms.

I believe some manufacturers got in trouble years back doing that to replace worn-out MG receivers, and the ATF put the brakes on it.
View Quote
Google "gem-tax"

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Definition of a short-barreled rifle includes a short barrel.

Same reason you can sell the lower (stripped or built) from your SBR without any NFA paperwork, and also cross state lines without a 5320.20 if it has no upper or an upper with at least a 16" barrel.

A stripped lower is not an NFA item by itself, even if your info is engraved on it.

I was simply point out if you're shipping just the lower, there aren't any extra laws to consider. Yeah, you'd have an issue if it had to be replaced...but no special paperwork to send it in.
View Quote
if the receiver is on the NFA registry as a SBR, it's still an NFA item, even when configured with a 16" barrel.  until you notify the ATF to take the receiver off the registry and that it will never be configured with a rifle barrel under 16", it'll remain an SBR where they're concerned.

you cannot register a receiver and make an SBR, then just sell it to a buddy sans upper or with a 16" barreled upper (as you could a non NFA receiver).. it doesn't work that way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
if the receiver is on the NFA registry as a SBR, it's still an NFA item, even when configured with a 16" barrel.  until you notify the ATF to take the receiver off the registry and that it will never be configured with a rifle barrel under 16", it'll remain an SBR where they're concerned.

you cannot register a receiver and make an SBR, then just sell it to a buddy sans upper or with a 16" barreled upper (as you could a non NFA receiver).. it doesn't work that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definition of a short-barreled rifle includes a short barrel.

Same reason you can sell the lower (stripped or built) from your SBR without any NFA paperwork, and also cross state lines without a 5320.20 if it has no upper or an upper with at least a 16" barrel.

A stripped lower is not an NFA item by itself, even if your info is engraved on it.

I was simply point out if you're shipping just the lower, there aren't any extra laws to consider. Yeah, you'd have an issue if it had to be replaced...but no special paperwork to send it in.

Yes, it works exactly that way. It only falls under NFA purview in NFA configuration.

temporary changes do NOT require a new stamp to be reconfigured as NFA.

if a transfer is involved, it is no longer a temporary change but a permanent one.

There is no law to force someone to notify BATFE if a change has been made, permanent or temporary; but they kindly request notice of permanent changes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]
ok.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#15]
THANK YOU for finally addressing the myth about SBR/SBS!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top