Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 4:09:56 PM EDT
I’m looking into my first SBR. I have not decided on which route to take (form 1 or form 4) this question is the form 1 route that requires I engrave the lower with my details.

Does the city/town being engraved have to match where I currently live? (according to the law) 2 examples below.
1: my name is John Bishop and I live in Athens GA. Next town over is named Bishop. Can I stamp my lower John Bishop / Bishop GA?
2: my name is John Bishop but I live in Gay GA (Yes, this is a real place) would I have to stamp John Bishop / Gay, GA on my lower?

My name is not bishop and I do not live in Athens, or Gay...these are just examples that will help me understand the laws better.
*Use name and address on DL for ease of proof if ever needed is the best info I have seen - but if that’s not a concern, what is the law?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
What does your individual/trust/llc location say on the F1?

ETA: that means match the engraving to the F1
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
no form 1 filled out yet, Id get the engraving done first then fill out the form.
so it does not really matter as long as the form matches? would it still get approved if not the same as your DL?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What does your individual/trust/llc location say on the F1?

ETA: that means match the engraving to the F1
View Quote
Not necessarily.

The engraving for location should reflect where the NFA item is actually made.  So for an SBR, using an AR as an example, where ever you sit/stand when you pin that short barreled upper onto a stocked lower, and thus have a complete SBR, that place should be engraved on the receiver. 

27 C.F.R. 479.102(a)(2):
  • (i) The model, if such designation has been made;
  • (ii) The caliber or gauge;
  • (iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;
  • (iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm…    
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
no form 1 filled out yet, Id get the engraving done first then fill out the form.
so it does not really matter as long as the form matches? would it still get approved if not the same as your DL?
View Quote
The address you put on the form should be the address where you plan to primarily store the NFA item, once approved.  Usually your home address for example.

The engraving you do doesn't have to match the location on the form 1, or your driver's license.  It needs to be the city/state where you finished building the complete NFA item.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
this answers my questions. thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do the Form 1 first....You will have plenty of time waiting for the stamp to get your lower engraved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top