Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 11:10:32 AM EDT
What are the calibers and barrel lengths that I should put it that will leave me with the most options down the road.
It is a 10.5" 5.56 now and I am going to make a 9mm 5" with a suppressor upper right now.
After that who knows just want to make sure I get all my options on the letter.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no requirement for you to do this. The BATFE "requests" that you inform them of permanent changes, but it is not required.

I also doubt they will let you give them a list of possible cailbers.  

I have several SBR uppers - and change them out as I see the need, I don't need to inform the BATFE. (unless it's a state thing where you are?)

Bob S.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no requirement for you to do this. The BATFE "requests" that you inform them of permanent changes, but it is not required.

I also doubt they will let you give them a list of possible cailbers.  

I have several SBR uppers - and change them out as I see the need, I don't need to inform the BATFE. (unless it's a state thing where you are?)

Bob S.
View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
To paraphrase an old joke, "with what you have (your SBR), you can have as many of those (uppers in various calibers and lengths) as you want."

The ATF "request" is if you "permanently" dispose of the original configuration.  That means permanently sell off the barrel in the original caliber and length.  You do NOT need to even bother mentioning using different calibers or barrel lengths with a registered SBR lower.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Some day, someone will write one of these letters, and ATF will respond changing BBL lengths or calibers is a taxable event and tell them to file a new form 1.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't waste your time. I know someone who did this and the ATF wrote back about 6 months later with a short, sweet letter that basically said "Thanks for the notification, but please don't send us letters regarding this in the future. We don't care."
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It took 2 years before I got a thank you letter back. Though they didn't put the don't bother part in mine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#7]
How about on something other than an AR.
Say like a scorpion evo. I'm wanting to cut the barrel shorter into a micro k configuration. Curious if I should send in a letter for the changes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Say like a scorpion evo. I'm wanting to cut the barrel shorter into a micro k configuration. Curious if I should send in a letter for the changes.
View Quote
NO. SBR is an SBR.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only time I would worry about it, is if I wanted to sell it to someone else.

Since the current BATFE record shows a 7.72" barrel, your choices are to...  1) lie on the Form 4 to the buyer (I wouldn't), or 2) update the BATFE to its new permanent configuration.

Happy Monday,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The ATF "request" is if you "permanently" dispose of the original configuration.  That means permanently sell off the barrel in the original caliber and length.
View Quote
Even that isn't a "permanent" change on an AR, though again it is only a request, with no requirement that we comply.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome! That is the kind of news I like to hear!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome! That is the kind of news I like to hear!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top