Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2017 7:10:01 PM EDT
ETA: Thanks for the message and will check in with Amphibian at a later time.

Paging Amphibian
A couple days ago my bolt was failing to feed rounds from short stroking. I had not been cleaning as I have been wanting to see how long I could go on the suppressed setting before having to switch to more gas. I have done that a couple times already so thought it was time and I cleaned the BCG up completely. Went shooting today and had the same issue after a couple 3-round mags. Checked my gas block and saw the setting had changed far off. When i went to re-adjust the plate moved with little effort which is abnormal cause you typically need the tip of a round or casing and force to move it.

Then i noticed the spring picture below and the leg end was very easy to push towards the muzzle, also abnormal. I pulled the spring out a bit to get a pic of the spring. I have never changed my plate and have never bothered with it. I am thinking the multiple times of high temp from the suppressor maybe caused this? More and more the past your i have increased my firing schedule. I have at a minimum 3500 rounds with this gas block over 2.5 years i believe. I also assume a new torsion spring is what i need and nothing else is of issue?

All that aside this is my smoothest shooting rifle. The Govnah was worth every penny.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a similar issue as well maybe 6 months ago on a couple year old gas block.

At first I bought replacement torsion spring/s,  replaced the plate, and the detent pin.  After I had  replaced everything and still had the issue (damaging a couple more torsion springs in the process as they would be bent after being crushed forward like that) I contact MicroMOA and sent my block in for evaluation.

MicroMOA reported that the block had cracked underneath by the gas port and was letting excess gas escape into the detent area which resulted in the regulator plate dent pin acting like a gas powered piston crushing the torsion spring forward so hard it would bend the spring and lock the detent forward allowing the plate to freely slide side-to-side.  You would then get a short stroke pretty quickly when the gun would fire and the regulator plate wasnt in the right spot.

I was running my block on a 10.5” MIcroMOA barrel mated to an M16 RR lower, so nothing really exotic.

Apparently I was the first consumer/end user to actually break a Govnah gas block from use.   The new block runs like a champ and has no issues so far.

MicroMOA was really good about diagnosing and replacing my block quickly once it got into their hands.  Absolutely no complaints about their customer service which was top notch.  I would contact them via their website and explain the issue and send your block in for evaluation if needed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a similar issue as well maybe 6 months ago on a couple year old gas block.

At first I bought replacement torsion spring/s,  replaced the plate, and the detent pin.  After I had  replaced everything and still had the issue (damaging a couple more torsion springs in the process as they would be bent after being crushed forward like that) I contact MicroMOA and sent my block in for evaluation.

MicroMOA reported that the block had cracked underneath by the gas port and was letting excess gas escape into the detent area which resulted in the regulator plate dent pin acting like a gas powered piston crushing the torsion spring forward so hard it would bend the spring and lock the detent forward allowing the plate to freely slide side-to-side.  You would then get a short stroke pretty quickly when the gun would fire and the regulator plate wasnt in the right spot.

I was running my block on a 10.5” MIcroMOA barrel mated to an M16 RR lower, so nothing really exotic.

Apparently I was the first consumer/end user to actually break a Govnah gas block from use.   The new block runs like a champ and has no issues so far.

MicroMOA was really good about diagnosing and replacing my block quickly once it got into their hands.  Absolutely no complaints about their customer service which was top notch.  I would contact them via their website and explain the issue and send your block in for evaluation if needed.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I will check my block when my extra torsion springs come in.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely check the block down by the gas port so you don't go down the same path I did spending $$$ replacing parts that I didn't need and/or damaging the replacement springs in the process.

I had the same initial thoughts that you did which was the torsion spring must have weakened over time and couldn't hold the detent forward anymore.  After replacing the spring for the first time which didnt resolve the issue,  I though well maybe the detent is wore out somehow and/or the gas plate was letting gas sneak by somehow, lets replace those as well.  Then circled back to well maybe the new spring is too damaged to even work with the other replacement parts...lets replace the spring again.

If needed engage Micromoa as they were really responsive when I asked for help via their website and got me a replacement block really quickly/painlessly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:47:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top