Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2017 11:32:13 AM EDT
Hey all,

a buddy of mine wants my 11.5" BCM in 223, so he's going to buy it. This leaves me with the chance (and money) to get into an upper I enjoy more. I the BCM had a heavy quad rail and bullish barrel, so it's a heavy beast. I'm pretty open on caliber, I'm looking for something really short for HD and in-state travel. distance lets say mostly inside 25 yards, but potentially 200 at the most. I will suppress it when HPA passes but like many, I'm waiting to see how that goes.

With that said, what should I build? I don't have anything in 300 BO at the moment and that seems like it might be a good choice? on the other hand, I have a bunch of 223 already and a few other full size guns in that caliber. I already have a 6" 22 barrel SBR that I run with my can for fun and practice.

so if you wanted one upper to do everything from HD, to some range work, travel, eventually suppress, and you weren't super concerned with ammo prices or mag compatibility, what would you build or buy? I already have a good BCG and sights, so that saves on cost.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd start with a KAK industry value line 8.5" 300bo barrel and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I am about to "rearrange" my AR collection and have been pondering the same Q's.

I currently have 16" 5.56 and 6.8 SPC II, 10.5" 5.56, 11.5" 6.8 and 9.5" 300BLK for my 17yr old son and I.

The 10.5" 5.56 with a Fortis rail and 11.3oz, 6" long DT and flat end cap Omega is my favorite set up. Light, short, handy. My 11.5" 6.8 is second favorite, an YHM ULT suppressor is dedicated to it. I love the 6.8's for hog hunting, but the 5.56 works just fine, so the 16" 6.8 is going. No reason to mess with the 16" 5.56 with Fortis rail; its reasonably light and handy and not unbearably long or heavy with an Omega so it is staying. I like playing with the 300BLK but ammo is ridiculously priced, especially sub sonic ammo, and even reloading doesn't bring cost down to bulk 5.56/223 ammo costs. It is a surplus toy that is going (after I shoot up the ammo I already have.)

So, here are my takes:

Gotta be 5.56/223 for ammo costs.

For instate only travel than an SBR. However, if last minute interstate travel is likely and time to file a Form 5320.20 limited then 14.5" brazed or pin and weld - but you need to know what your suppressor is going to be.

I am going to do both a 14.5" P&W and a 10.5" or 11.5" SBR upper. I know what suppressor is going on the 14.5", so I know what FH to P&W.

Faxon has a 14.5" very lightweight GUNNER barrel. It will replace the 16" 6.8, and with the 13" KMR hand guard currently on the 16" 6.8 it will make for a nice, lightweight non-SBR set up.

For the 10.5" or 11.5" upper, I am thinking either a Faxon 10.5" or lightweight 11.5" GUNNER barrel and a 9" or 10" KMR Alpha. I'll use a SilencerCo ASR FH and one of my Omega suppressors. This should also be a nice lightweight set up.

If HPA passes then I am thinking P&W a Spartan 3 suppressor to the 10.5" or 11.5" for a no stamp rifle. The Spartan is not too expensive, light and not too long, suppresses well and comes drilled for a pin. Takes a 10.5" to just beyond 16". That would free up an SBR lower and an Omega too.

Hope this helps!

JPK
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been reading and looking at stuff for a little while, and I'm thinking about something along the lines of the Honey Badger. is that crazy? Short and quiet in 300BO should be good for any HD situation, or push it out to like 200 yards for the end of days. what do you think?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I currently have a 9.5" 300BLK and had a 10.5". I miss the 300BLKs when I don't have one, they are a hoot to shoot subsonic suppressed. The bullet striking steel or even dirt is much louder than the report. A bolt 300BLK shooting subsonic suppressed would be about Hollywood quiet.

For home defense, supersonic ballistics not far from a 30-30 make it gtg with the right bullet, imo. Most bullets used in subsonic ammo do not expand, which limits usefulness. Lehigh and a couple of other specialty ammo companies offer expanding subsonic ammo (at about $1.50-$2.50/rnd.). Some bullets designed to expand at subsonic velocity are offered for reloading. Some are in the $0.50 range, some more.

But ammo cost is generally high, especially subsonic ammo. Even subsonic reloading ain't cheap. That limits shooting.... which is ok for a second upper, or third, but not a good trait for a one and only.

My $0.02, worth what you paid for it!

JPK
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to look at a Sig MCX. Interchangeable barrels, including 5.56 and 300BLK, even 8.62x39, but that needs a bolt change too.

I don't have one, but they have some interesting features.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
it won't be the one and only, that's for sure. I have an 18" for competition, a 16" Noveske, and a shorty 22 upper with a can for fun at the range. This would be solely the HD/travel gun
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might want to look at a Sig MCX. Interchangeable barrels, including 5.56 and 300BLK, even 8.62x39, but that needs a bolt change too.

I don't have one, but they have some interesting features.
View Quote
I already have the SBR lower set up the way I want, so that's the main reason I want to stick with mostly what I have. The tax stamp and waiting seem to be the annoying part.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool, your OP made it sound like maybe the BCM was your only.

Personally, I would, funds allowing, build a 10.5" 5.56 and a 9.5-10.5" 300BLK! If I had to choose, it would be the 10.5" 5.56 though.  

Just mentioning that ATF requires a Form 5320.20 for SBR interstate travel.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cool, your OP made it sound like maybe the BCM was your only.

Personally, I would, funds allowing, build a 10.5" 5.56 and a 9.5-10.5" 300BLK! If I had to choose, it would be the 10.5" 5.56 though.  

Just mentioning that ATF requires a Form 5320.20 for SBR interstate travel.
View Quote
Why the 223 first?

I'm in Texas. I can drive 6 hours one way and 15 the other before I hit another state :/   I also have a pistol lower I'd be able to throw the upper on if that kind of trip is in the works.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why the 223 first?

I'm in Texas. I can drive 6 hours one way and 15 the other before I hit another state :/   I also have a pistol lower I'd be able to throw the upper on if that kind of trip is in the works.
View Quote
Light, capable, cheap ammo, lots of fun...

You can say the same thing about a shorty 300 too, except change "cheap ammo" to "ridiculously expensive ammo." Hard to find a light barrel for a 300 as well.

Within a few minutes I can be in VA or D.C., add a bit more than an hour and throw in DE, WV and PA too.

JPK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top