Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2017 11:32:36 PM EDT
I originally put this in the NFA general section but realized it is likely better suited here.

I'm currently stationed in Kansas but will be getting out of the Army in the fall and moving around North Carolina area. I don't know where exactly I'm moving, so I don't even have a state much less an address. The only constant is my home of record which is in Alabama. What's my best bet? I see the following options, but could be very wrong...

1. Get a stamp while in Kansas, change address when I move (is this possible?)
2. Get a stamp in Alabama, but I'd be living and using it in Kansas (is this legal?)
3. Wait () until I move, apply then, wait forever, build a longer rifle in the mean time
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait till you get to where you going is probably going to be the best. Can always make a pistol for now and then SBR once you get to where you are going if not going there first.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
How difficult is it to change addresses? I was just reading the wait times and realized how long it'll take...if I wait until I move to apply it'll be a year and a half before I have something in hand.

Understand waiting is the easiest, but who wants easy when I can buy toys???
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Will you be making your own sbr, or buying one from a dealer?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will you be making your own sbr, or buying one from a dealer?
View Quote

I'll be making it. I'm gradually buying the pieces for it now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'll be making it. I'm gradually buying the pieces for it now.
View Quote

I would just go ahead and submit it, you can change your address later on. Not sure how to fill it out, being stationed in the military outside of your state of residence. That would be something for someone other than myself to answer.

But, it may be beneficial to wait until the ATF processes all of the pre 41p/f submissions to see what the wait times come down to, it may be pretty quick afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would just go ahead and submit it, you can change your address later on. Not sure how to fill it out, being stationed in the military outside of your state of residence. That would be something for someone other than myself to answer.

But, it may be beneficial to wait until the ATF processes all of the pre 41p/f submissions to see what the wait times come down to, it may be pretty quick afterwards.
View Quote

Does anyone have any insight on the military side for moving, not having residence here, etc.?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Anything in this thread help?

(As info...in the future, just ask a Mod to move your thread instead of starting a duplicate. In this case, the original thread in Gen NFA is perfectly fine, but now you have two)
View Quote

Thank you for the info, sorry for the duplicate. I didn't know if it was better to start one in the SBR forum and wait for a mod to close the other one or not, didn't mean to spam the boards.

As for the link to the thread, I did read this before but must have been drinking or something because it makes a lot more sense to me now. I'll follow up with questions in that thread, thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How difficult is it to change addresses? I was just reading the wait times and realized how long it'll take...if I wait until I move to apply it'll be a year and a half before I have something in hand.

Understand waiting is the easiest, but who wants easy when I can buy toys???
View Quote

Not at all. I applied in Oklahoma, then moved to Texas and it didn't affect it at all.

Go ahead and apply now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not at all. I applied in Oklahoma, then moved to Texas and it didn't affect it at all.

Go ahead and apply now.
View Quote

That's fantastic news, thank you.

Only issue I foresee...if it takes longer than November to get a stamp approved and I'm no longer in Kansas, can I change my address before the approval comes?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's fantastic news, thank you.

Only issue I foresee...if it takes longer than November to get a stamp approved and I'm no longer in Kansas, can I change my address before the approval comes?
View Quote

You can call the ATF and ask, I have heard others say they've been told both ways: either they'll allow you to change the address on an in-process form, or they'll tell you to cancel and re-submit, moving you to the back of the line.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You can call the ATF and ask, I have heard others say they've been told both ways: either they'll allow you to change the address on an in-process form, or they'll tell you to cancel and re-submit, moving you to the back of the line.
View Quote

Ok and I assume if I had to cancel and resubmit I wouldn't have to pay a second time? If so, there seems to be no downside to applying now as worst case scenario I would have to reapply at the same time I would have applied if I waited.

Is there a specific number or extension I should reach out to for a more direct link?

I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ok and I assume if I had to cancel and resubmit I wouldn't have to pay a second time? If so, there seems to be no downside to applying now as worst case scenario I would have to reapply at the same time I would have applied if I waited.

Is there a specific number or extension I should reach out to for a more direct link?

I appreciate the help.
View Quote

I just asked the ATF about this issue as I'm moving from the address that's listed on my pending Form 1.

The response I received, from a Justin S. Bowers, told me to submit another Form 1 (in duplicate, with new CLEO notification if the original is no longer valid) with the new address on with a letter explaining the situation. I wouldn't have to cancel the form and the original photos would work as long as they could be removed from the original and attached to the new copy without being destroyed. Only thing I'm waiting on is the confirmation of where the corrected Forms get sent to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top