Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2017 12:17:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
With my first AR SBR lower, I sent it out to be engraved when I sent my Form1 in. This time I waited until I received my approved Form1 back. Either way is fine but I was more paranoid this time because of all the pre 41F noise. Waiting until you get the approval back is the safest bet but that just means you have to wait another week or 2 to finish your build. Then again, what's 1-2 more weeks after waiting 6+ months for the approval?

Whatever you do, build the lower and test it with a non-SBR upper before submitting the paperwork. Nothing worse then spending $200 and waiting 6+ months only to find out there is a problem with the lower.

As for dedicated 9mm lower vs standard lower with conversion block... If you already have multiple registered standard lowers then I might consider a dedicated 9mm lower but otherwise I'd stick with a standard lower so that way you have more options down the road should your needs or desires change.

That said (and this is the part you probably won't like)... I have a 9mm AR/SBR and so far it runs like a top but if I was starting from scratch, I would skip building a 9mm SBR AR and just bought a Sig MPX pistol and registered that instead. 9mm AR's can be finicky but the MPX was designed from the ground up as a 9mm carbine. Its more expensive but I think its worth it and gives you options like a folding stock which you can't do with the AR version. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my lower engraved the day I had my form 1 filled out, didn't see a need to make a second trip to Tarheel State Firerarms.... even though I'm going back tomorrow to do a form 4 for a can
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with something other than 9mm....for now

If your going to pay the tax for a sbr, start with a "normal" lower, at least for the 1st one.

Also if you build as a pistol first, you have many more options.
You cant make a rifle into a pistol, but you can make a pistol onto a rifle, and go back to a pistol. From my last build going forward, all my builds will start as a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are using a local engraver no reason you can't engrave before or after getting approval of your Form 1.

However, if you are going to ship your lower to be engraved I would NOT ship a registered NFA lower, i.e., after approval.  I wouldn't want to have to explain to the BATFE how my NFA registered lower got lost in shipping and is floating around out there somewhere out of my possession.  Maybe I'm paranoid, but when you can get it engraved before approval I see no reason whatsoever to wait.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So say for example I build a 9mm AR that has a 13" barrel and is 22" long.  So i register it that and in 9mm, and if I want down the road I can switch stuff around and put a short 5.56 upper on it I can??

So when i look for a lower, should I try to find one with "multi" caliber marks or does it matter really?  WOuld I need to put 9mm on my engraving?
View Quote

Yes - if you file paperwork on 9mm SBR, and make that firearm, you can then get one or more uppers in other calibers and use them on that lower.

You can NOT register a lower with "Multi", they make you pick the one caliber that you are saying you want to make into a SBR. Since my lower was marked "Multi", and the engraving on my barrel was not visible under the handguard, I had my engraver also engrave the caliber I was making.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So basically if my lower says 5.56 or Multi, I will have to have it engraved 9mm with my info if I register it as a 9mm correct?
View Quote

if it says 5.56 register it as 5.56 to avoid having to engrave a second caliber... you can switch uppers all you want once the lowers registered.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you are using a local engraver no reason you can't engrave before or after getting approval of your Form 1.

However, if you are going to ship your lower to be engraved I would NOT ship a registered NFA lower, i.e., after approval.  I wouldn't want to have to explain to the BATFE how my NFA registered lower got lost in shipping and is floating around out there somewhere out of my possession.  Maybe I'm paranoid, but when you can get it engraved before approval I see no reason whatsoever to wait.
View Quote

It is NOT an NFA item until you make it. This includes engraving it and slapping the upper on it. You go through the process to pay for tax and permission to manufacture. If it's lost after approval you just submit for a refund as the item was never made.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So even if I build it as a 9mm, register it as 5.56?

The extra part that will say 9x19mm won't cost extra.
View Quote

If the 5.56 is already on there might as well register it as 5.56 - doesn't matter as you can legally switch uppers/calibers all you want once it's registered.  Personally, I wouldn't want a lower that has two different calibers engraved on it.  

Plus, your barrel is going to have 9x19mm engraved on it already for when you have that upper on there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So basically if my lower says 5.56 or Multi, I will have to have it engraved 9mm with my info if I register it as a 9mm correct?
View Quote

Not in every case. You don't have to engrave the lower if the barrel or other place has the caliber marking. Almost every barrel will have the caliber marked. You can apply for a stamp on a lower that is marked Multi but do not submit a stamp for multi as the caliber. You have to specify as others are telling you to do.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It is NOT an NFA item until you make it. This includes engraving it and slapping the upper on it. You go through the process to pay for tax and permission to manufacture. If it's lost after approval you just submit for a refund as the item was never made.
View Quote

While that's true, after waiting 8-12 months for approval I'd hate to have to start the process completely over.  To each their own - much easier to just get it engraved before and save the potential heartache and time lost.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If the 5.56 is already on there might as well register it as 5.56 - doesn't matter as you can legally switch uppers/calibers all you want once it's registered.  Personally, I wouldn't want a lower that has two different calibers engraved on it.  

Plus, your barrel is going to have 9x19mm engraved on it already for when you have that upper on there.
View Quote

^This

Plus if it is a manufactured firearm and the original manufacturer information does not match the information the ATF has on file it will be denied...There was a recent rule change to no longer accept "multi" so should your lower say multi only list the primary caliber you intend on using...   Your form 1 manufacturer information should match the firearm you are using.

Edited*
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Got ya!

Will register as 5.56 if so marked if marked multi will register as 9mm.

I didnt relize the barrel mark counted as well.
View Quote

Original post edited, if it only says multi use whatever caliber you intend on using.. marking will be on the barrel so no need to engrave the lower
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#25]
First, I don't understand the "safest" thing airgunner mentions.  You can have anything you want engraved on anything you own.  Engraving on a firearm doesn't even imply it's an NFA item.  However, some folks think making sure the engraving is done right BEFORE submitting the Form 1 is important.

Caliber markings have to be there.  I don't understand how some manufacturers still get away with marking lowers "MULTI," since even big manufacturers have to document new firearms (including lowers) with some caliber.  Now if you register a lower that is manufacturer-marked "MULTI," you have to have a caliber marked on the final SBR.  There's been a ton of back and forth on just how you have to do this, but a good bit of it has revolved around where the data can be.  It does NOT have to be all on the lower.  If your barrel is engraved with its caliber, that should be enough.

I'm sure Big Waylon has that Big Thread of Caliber Marking Argument engraved in his memory. It was, shall we say, "lively."
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I had mine engraved a few weeks ago.  I used (cs223) here in the board.   Link. 8 days door to door via USPS mail, including a holiday.  It was $55 total, including shipping both ways.  Small flare rate box to, $35 for the engraving and $12 shipping back.

Will be sending off the sbr paperwork by the end of April hopefully.

I had my name, city, state and 5.56x45 engraved on the right side above the trigger pins.  It will be a 5.56.  I am waiting on a few more parts to complete the upper then will test it to be sure it works in that configuration before sending the paperwork off.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had mine engraved a few weeks ago.  I used (cs223) here in the board.   Link. 8 days door to door via USPS mail, including a holiday.  It was $55 total, including shipping both ways.  Small flare rate box to, $35 for the engraving and $12 shipping back.

Will be sending off the sbr paperwork by the end of April hopefully.

I had my name, city, state and 5.56x45 engraved on the right side above the trigger pins.  It will be a 5.56.  I am waiting on a few more parts to complete the upper then will test it to be sure it works in that configuration before sending the paperwork off.
View Quote

Why not print a USPS label to return ship and save another few $$?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why not print a USPS label to return ship and save another few $?
View Quote

I don't have a printer, did not think about printing out a label.  

Besides, I'm building an SBR, $5 ain't going to kill me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah just found tar heel, price is best by far and they do under trigger area.  Probaly be where the lower goes when i buy it.
View Quote

I used Tarheel for my two SBRs (one a dedicated 9mm) and they were very fast turn around. I think most of the recommended engravers are pretty quick though, so certainly not taking anything away from them. I had them mark the caliber on the lowers for simplicity. I just had my trust info put on the right side magwell. It's not like I'm reducing the resale value of the CMMG lower, it's small and barely visible anyway and really if there's some reason someone sees it, it's probably to my benefit.

If I was doing a more "multicaliber" setup, I'd probably put caliber on the upper since my barrel markings are not visible at all. Heck, for 300blackout it's probably a good idea to have big lettering announcing it to minimize chances of mixing bullets.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Why even mess with engraving unless you plan on selling it at some point?

I'm not going to engrave any of my SBRs as I don't plan on selling them...
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Because that's not what the regulations say.

There's a bogus article (or two) on the net, all by TTAG, that say otherwise...but they're worth what you paid for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that's not what the regulations say.

There's a bogus article (or two) on the net, all by TTAG, that say otherwise...but they're worth what you paid for them.

Yeah, I've seen that article before. Thought that I had heard that from other sources also.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is an SOT dealer in Oregon who engraves only after the item is sold AND approved.

I still engrave mine to cover myself and because I like my name
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't understand how some manufacturers still get away with marking lowers "MULTI," since even big manufacturers have to document new firearms (including lowers) with some caliber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't understand how some manufacturers still get away with marking lowers "MULTI," since even big manufacturers have to document new firearms (including lowers) with some caliber.

Lowers, do not have to have a caliber marking. You answered your own question below:

Quoted:

It does NOT have to be all on the lower.  If your barrel is engraved with its caliber, that should be enough.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So say for example I build a 9mm AR that has a 13" barrel and is 22" long.  So i register it that and in 9mm, and if I want down the road I can switch stuff around and put a short 5.56 upper on it I can??

Correct
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. You register it for the caliber and barrel/overall length that you'll initially make. That's a one time act, and that firearm can only be one caliber at the time it's made. How it's configured after that doesn't matter.

Correct
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#41]
question  I built my sbr with multi cal lower reregistered as 556 did not engrave cal on lower because its on the barrel.  
so if I put a 300 blk upper on it and it is marked on the barrel it wont match my form 1 is that ok or do I need to engrave the lower with 556
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's fine.

The Form is for the initial making, and when you made that firearm it was marked with the appropriate caliber. It's not a 5.56 with a 300BLK upper attached, so there's no reason for it to be marked with 5.56.
View Quote

thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lowers, do not have to have a caliber marking. You answered your own question below:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It does NOT have to be all on the lower.  If your barrel is engraved with its caliber, that should be enough.
For a complete rifle, that's fine.  But stripped lowers, since there's no barrel or other part to mark, are still sold with the "MULTI" marking.  That just doesn't make sense to me.  Is there a separate regulation that says "firearms that are 'other,' such as stripped lower receivers, do not need a caliber marking."?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is there a separate regulation that says "firearms that are 'other,' such as stripped lower receivers, do not need a caliber marking."?
View Quote

Yes but not in that manner. The law says rifles need markings.  Since a stripped lower is not a rifle, that law does not apply.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes but not in that manner. The law says rifles need markings.  Since a stripped lower is not a rifle, that law does not apply.
View Quote

That would make sense.  Probably why I never thought of that...an ATF rule that makes sense!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top