Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2017 4:35:57 PM EDT
This is purely out of curiosity. I have an adjustable gas block on my DD MK18 to run my Surefire 556 RC2. Since I'm a very inquisitive person I was just wondering for those that don't go the adjustable gas block route, what buffer & spring combo do you guys use to run reliably suppressed and non suppressed with mil spec 5.56 ammo. Specifically the overgassed MK18 and Surefire 556 can. Might seem like a stupid question since it doesn't apply to me but like I said I was just curious. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently had to change to a Spikes ST-T2 to make my Echo trigger run in my SBR.  Up until then, one had only a standard carbine buffer and the other had an H buffer.  I haven't had to change a buffer or spring to make any of my ARs in various barrel lengths run with the Gem-tech Halo and various 5.56 loadings.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I should have phrased my question a little differently. What I meant to ask was for the guys that are trying to tame the over gassed barrel of the MK18 with buffers and springs instead of adjustable gas blocks. Not that they had to be changed to get it to run.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an early DD 11.5" LW barrel and AAC M4-2000. I put a H2 buffer and Wolff XP recoil spring (16501) in it. When I had a standard spring, the bolt would sometimes outrun the mag and I'd get a failure to feed, when firing suppressed. Now it works fine suppressed or not, even when the mag gets dirty.

If you increase the buffer weight, you'll slow the cyclic rate, but the recoil increases a little. That's why I stiffened the spring instead of going with an H3 buffer. Either would've worked, or I could've done both. DD's are seriously over-gassed. I actually like the high cyclic rate though. I can touch off a fast 3-round burst and put them all center mass quite easily with the can on there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a standard carbine spring and an H3 buffer in my 11.5" bbl.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Your other alternative is to use a Suppressed Bolt carrier from the likes of Gemtech or Bootleg...

Mick
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Or something like the Innovative Arms W.A.R. upper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
10.5, carbine spring, H2 buffer, factory FSB. Not harsh whatsoever suppressed or un-suppressed. A little gassy but that goes with the territory.  Every rifle is different, but if it runs it runs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm running a PWS H2 with a JP +10% spring on a factory DD Mk18. Unsupressed its flawless, nice 3-4oclock ejection, suppressed with an AAC SDN-6 its still over gassed, throws them at 1 o'clock,  but reliable through about 1000 rounds now which is all I care about. As far as recoil, its a 5.56 and I'm not 3 gunning trying to save 5/100ths of a second, its a fighting rifle and the recoil is fine. Rather over gassed slightly than under.

You could always look at a gemtech suppressed carrier, seems really nice and requires no modification to the weapon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I should have phrased my question a little differently. What I meant to ask was for the guys that are trying to tame the over gassed barrel of the MK18 with buffers and springs instead of adjustable gas blocks. Not that they had to be changed to get it to run.
View Quote

My MK18 is unsuppressed.

That said, I use a Spikes ST-T2 buffer and a Blue SpringCo spring.

The gun runs smooth as a top....but again, unsuppressed so not sure it helps.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never heard of them but looks like a great idea.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think chase45 had one kaboom on him a few years ago
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the responses guys, helps out a lot. I was only curious about spring and buffer combos. Like I said I'm running an adjustable gas block now and no issues. Was just thinking about running another sbr without an adjustable gas block and going the spring and buffer route because.....well, just because
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
LMT 10.5", standard spring, H2 buffer, fixed FSB.  Not gassy at all...

Your choice in suppressor will have a lot to do with backpressure.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I run my MK18 with a standard spring, H3 buffer, and BCM charging handle. Runs smooth with and without the suppressor with just a slight hint of over gas when suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I run my MK18 with a standard spring, H3 buffer, and BCM charging handle. Runs smooth with and without the suppressor with just a slight hint of over gas when suppressed.
View Quote

What suppressor are you running and whats your ejection pattern like with it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run a YHM Phantom Ti 5.56. As far as ejection pattern goes it is anywhere from 5 to 2 o'clock. In saying that though I feel as long as the rifle runs reliably suppressed and unsuppressed, with the types of ammo I shoot, I really don't care to much about ejection pattern. As long as it is not ripping brass apart. I've seen people take a 100% reliable shooting rifle and start chasing the ejection pattern profiles and all the sudden their rifle starts having problems. They end up with a rifle that has their preferred ejection pattern suppressed but then the rifle short strokes unsuppressed and vice versa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top