Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2017 9:38:04 PM EDT
Hello everyone. Long time lurker.
Shot my 300BLK build for the 1st time today and had a few issues. Feeding issues and bolt not holding open on last round.
The build:
8.3" BA barrel
Battle Arms PDW
Aero upper/lower
Gen 3 P-mags

I was using Gemtech 187gr subsonic ammunition w/ a SiCo Hybrid. Pretty sure the feeding issues are because of the "tabs" inside the magazine.
Maybe just not enough gas outa the Gemtech 187?

Update:
In case anyone has a similar setup, before you open up the gas port. Make sure you get a couple hundred rounds down range first. Took the rifle out today to zero some 110gr Barnes and decided to shoot a few more subs. Low and behold, the bolt started locking open! Total round count, 200 subs and 20 supers. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The bolt should lock open with Gemtech ammo. At a shoot I went to all of the 300BLKs with a variety of suppressors locked open with Gemtech 187gr ammo.

Could be the mags. Do they function in a 5.56/223?

JPK
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I will have to try. Only brought the one rifle with me today. I bought two Gen 3 pmags with the impression that they work better with 300BLK.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You would expect G3s to be better. But maybe those two are troublesome?

I have one mag that works fine with 5.56 but won't feed 300BLK. Rather than mess with it I just labeled it 5.56.

JPK
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will have to try. Only brought the one rifle with me today. I bought two Gen 3 pmags with the impression that they work better with 300BLK.
View Quote

Magpul said there might be issues with 300BO in there Pmags in another thread. They just came out with a dedicated 300BO mag.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I would almost have to think its with the combo going on inside the Battle Arms PDW.

Easy way to tell it throwing that upper on another lower though.

Ive shot reloads under the gemtech FPS and still had the bolt hold open so the ammo should be fine

I don't see why the mags would have anything to do with the bolt holding open
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Wrong place, ignore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I had issues with a similar setup because the previous round was not extracting - o-ring around the extractor spring fixed that.

I only run Lancer mags for .300 now.   Partly for safety to distinguish them, partly because some of my Pmags seem a bit finnicky with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
..sic.....

...sic......
View Quote

If you have another sbr or pistol lower.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would almost have to think its with the combo going on inside the Battle Arms PDW.

Ive shot reloads under the gemtech FPS and still had the bolt hold open so the ammo should be fine

I don't see why the mags would have anything to do with the bolt holding open
View Quote

I have been doing a lot of research and I think it's the Battle Arms secondary spring on the buffer. You can feel the spring resistance really ramp up when you slowly charge the rifle.
Gonna try supers and see how it goes. Also, gonna try a 5.56 upper that has a 16" BCM enhanced lightweight barrel (anyone know the gas port size on these)
Last I will try the 300BLK upper in question on another SBR lower that I have but I still need to put it together and figure out what stock I'm going to use on it; probably something more conventional.
I looked over under the Battle Arms industry section and they say they have a 300BLK running using 220gr Remington. But also say that you may need to open the gas port. Ideally I want that to be a last resort.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I was going to say your culprit is probably the PDW stock and proprietary RSA/buffer, but that's already been covered.

I would try it on one of your other SBR lowers and see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Update on 1st post. Vert stock doing fine after a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:10:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Step 1 to troubleshooting virtually any AR-15 issue: Throw your third party mags in the trash and try USGI mags.

Seriously, they're not sexy. But they work.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe had a leak at the gas block/port intersection and the carbon helped seal it up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought about that. I had thought about taking the gas block off and checking for alignment but it comes pre-pinned so, I don't think there is much I could do to adjust it. But carbon helping seal it up could be the case.
It really caught me off guard the first time it locked open.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a problem like yours with a 5.56.  Wouldn't feed the next round, would not hold open on last round.  If it did hold open, it was the carrier and not the bolt.  I checked the gas block and all kinds of stuff.  

Called the place where I got the barrel and he ran me through some things to check which all checked OK.  

Cleaned it, and put much more lube on it.  Took it out and ran 40 rounds without a hiccup.  

Just needed some lube and a god break in.

Live and learn.   Will see how it does over the next couple hundred rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top