Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2017 8:40:26 PM EDT
I have a 16" cmmg 22 upper.

I have stamps now for a couple of sbr lowers and also a Spectre II suppressor. I also have a DD MFR 9" rail sitting around.

The whole thing is pretty long with the Spectre attached so I am looking at a short 22 upper. I would prefer to save the cash and not build a whole upper but I have seen the 4.5" barrels with suppressor under the HG and really like it. Another reason for doing this is to have standard velocity 22 stay subsonic.

My questions are:

1) will a 4.5" barrel plus my Spectre allow the end of the Spectre  to extend past the 9" Handguard?

2) should I chop my 16" or just buy a 4.5" from CMMG and change out the Parts (I can-right?)

I am trying to be frugal as we are saving for another house. Any other thoughts are appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
with a 4.5 barrel the suppressor should stick out of the handguard by about a little less than an inch.

Just buy the CMMG barrel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have stamps now for a couple of sbr lowers and also a Spectre II suppressor. I also have a DD MFR 9" rail sitting around.

The whole thing is pretty long with the Spectre attached so I am looking at a short 22 upper. I would prefer to save the cash and not build a whole upper but I have seen the 4.5" barrels with suppressor under the HG and really like it. Another reason for doing this is to have standard velocity 22 stay subsonic.

My questions are:

1) will a 4.5" barrel plus my Spectre allow the end of the Spectre  to extend past the 9" Handguard?

2) should I chop my 16" or just buy a 4.5" from CMMG and change out the Parts (I can-right?)

I am trying to be frugal as we are saving for another house. Any other thoughts are appreciated!
View Quote

My first 22lr SBR started as a CMMG 16' barrel that I had chopped to 4.5" and threaded by Adco. It works great.  Adco charges $75 plus actual shipping which will save you a few dollars. Just be sure to have them thread the barrel to SilencerCo specs. A CMMG 4.5" barrel is around $150 plus shipping (CMMG offers LEO discount) and works very well too.  I also have right hand and left hand CMMG 4.5" SBRs. Here is a picture of a 4.5" CMMG, 7" MWI Gen 2 rail, and Spectre2 Silencer.  I don't think your Spectre will stick out of the 9" rail.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

In order to use your 9" rail, you may need to cut your barrel to 5.5" or 6" for the Spectre to clear.  If you are shooting standard velocity 22lr, they should stay subsonic in whatever length barrel you decide on.  If you are wanting to keep bulk 22 ammo subsonic, you will need to cut your barrel to 4.5" and get a different rail.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My first 22lr SBR started as a CMMG 16' barrel that I had chopped to 4.5" and threaded by Adco. It works great.  Adco charges $75 plus actual shipping which will save you a few dollars. Just be sure to have them thread the barrel to SilencerCo specs. A CMMG 4.5" barrel is around $150 plus shipping (CMMG offers LEO discount) and works very well too.  I also have right hand and left hand CMMG 4.5" SBRs. Here is a picture of a 4.5" CMMG, 7" MWI Gen 2 rail, and Spectre2 Silencer.  I don't think your Spectre will stick out of the 9" rail.  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71524/IMG-0154-125282.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71524/IMG-0153-125283.JPG
View Quote

Thanks to both of you!

Based on that last pic, looks like my Spectre will be an inch short. Your Spectre end cap looks different than mine?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you mean the lighter finish, it has been "dipped" a few times and tumbled a few more. Here is a picture next to a new one.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you mean the lighter finish, it has been "dipped" a few times and tumbled a few more. Here is a picture next to a new one.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71524/IMG-0286-125305.JPG
View Quote

Got it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok. I found out where I screwed up. I uploaded the picture when I was using my Sparrow.  Here are the pictures with the Spectre2.  It sticks out 1.5" past the 7" rail.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok. Thanks for the clarity. Still looks like the Spectre will be a little short. I don't think I want that can terminating under the HG. Very helpful. I appreciate the time in posting the pics and info!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Just looking at the DD MFR rail and it can be cut 1"-1.5" from the end and avoid mount holes. That may work out just fine. I'll need to find a way to make a good cut and clean it up.
ETA it would be a 7.5" rail based on best location for the cut/ top rail section.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi All,

I came here to ask a similar question and was excited to see someone is already focusing on this topic.

I am considering buying cmmg's 4.5" barrel and using a SWR specter which is 6". I assumed a 10" forearm would allow .5" sticking out the front, but this thread has me thinking I am over looking something. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, for those of you that have the cmmg 4.5" barrel, how does it run? Any issues? Would you buy the barrel and set up again if you had to do over?

Over the years I have been led to believe that dedicated .22 uppers have some issues and I am nervous about building one. Any further thoughts you all could pitch in is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hi All,

I came here to ask a similar question and was excited to see someone is already focusing on this topic.

I am considering buying cmmg's 4.5" barrel and using a SWR specter which is 6". I assumed a 10" forearm would allow .5" sticking out the front, but this thread has me thinking I am over looking something. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, for those of you that have the cmmg 4.5" barrel, how does it run? Any issues? Would you buy the barrel and set up again if you had to do over?

Over the years I have been led to believe that dedicated .22 uppers have some issues and I am nervous about building one. Any further thoughts you all could pitch in is greatly appreciated.
View Quote

The math is different with .22lr barrels
A 16" .22lr barrel will be almost identical to a 14.5" 556 so basically you just need to subtract 1.5" from your equation
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hi All,

View Quote

You need to check actual specs on your handguard because many measure longer than their stated size.  My 7" MWI actually measures closer to 7.5". You can see from the picture, your 10" will be too long.

I have three CMMG factory barrels.  Two 4.5" and one 16" chopped to 4.5" by Adco. All three run great. When I started with 22lr SBR a few years back, I was having erratic ignition problems using a Timney 3 pound trigger. After adding the Taccom pressure plug and changing to 4.5 pound POF triggers, it has been smooth sailing.  All of mine shoot CCI or Gemtech standard velocity without issue.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Might look at the the taccom barrels, I have the 4" UW and it was way cheaper to buy a new barrel and sell off a longer barrel than it was to thread the one I had. I'd worry a 6" means bulk pack tends towards supersonic. Spectre, vtac alpha 7" rail, taccom 4" ULW, cmmg kit inside, with boogie packer better mag adapter has worked great.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I run a taccom 4" barrel and spectreII with a 7inch rail. Pretty sure you're 9" rail is going to be too long.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#15]
This is a Tacom 4.5" under a KAC 7" carbine rail. Can is a Liberty Regulator which is a little longer than most .22 cans. I think the 4.5 under a 7" rail is the best combo.

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#16]
This is my Spectre II and a SLR 8.5" rail. I feel like a 9" rail would have the can juuust covered up and make it hard to unscrew for maintenance.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top