Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2017 12:44:31 PM EDT
Back in November, my wife and I saw the movie "Allied".  She saw all the allied sub-machine guns in it and asked me what gun it was.  I told her it was a STEN Mk. II and that I could build one for under $500.  She said "I like it.  Build one."

So the journey began December 5th with the arrival of the parts kit from Apex Gun Parts.  Since the firearm is historic, I purchased "The Sten Machine Carbine" by Peter Laidler.  This book has the most complete information available for the STEN sub-machine gun family.  The parts in my kit were produced prior to April of 1942 in southern England and assembled into a complete firearm by the Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield.

Parts List:

STEN MK2 SMG Parts Set w/skeleton stock from Apex Gun Parts - $174.95
Semi-auto receiver tube from Indianapolis Ordnance - $75.00
Semi-auto "Build kit" from Indianapolis Ordnance - $285.00
8" STEN Mk II SMG barrel from Indianapolis Ordnance - $95.00
Miscellaneous 922r Compliance Parts - $160.00

Grand Total:$789.95 (Oops, a little over $500)

Other "extra" items not included in the price are a dummy barrel, pistol grip, reproduction RAF paratrooper leg bag, 4 magazines, a mag loader, and a sling.

All "machining" of my semi-auto receiver tube was done with hand tools.  Hand tools include Dremel tool, cutting wheels, cordless drill, various hand files, a hammer, punch set, O-clamps, and a piece of angle iron.

The parts kit

Cleaned up the trigger housing by removing all traces of the original receiver

The assembled trigger housing

The assembled trigger housing.  Note the screws holding the dust cover in place - they indicate that the original parts were manufactured prior to April, 1942

Trunion, ejector, and front site removed from original SMG receiver scrap

The semi-auto receiver tube from Indianapolis Ordnance

Finished cocking handle channel in the semi-auto receiver tube

The start of the sear pocket and disconnector slot in the semi-auto receiver tube

The completed sear pocket and disconnector slot in the semi-auto receiver tube

Finished recoil spring retainer slot

Initial test fit of the receiver tube

Magazine well, front site dove-tail, and ejection port now completed.  Semi-auto receiver reassembled to check fit

Close-up of the front site dove-tail

Test fit of the surplus magazine and semi-auto bolt carrier assembly

Another close-up of the front site dove-tail

The reproduction, period-correct RAF paratrooper leg bag for the STEN SMG

Final assembly with TIG welding

The complete semi-auto STEN Mk. II with dummy barrel from Desert Fox Sales.

Test-fired it today.  Out of 25 rounds, only one failed to feed from the magazine, otherwise it worked flawlessly.  I guessed on the spring lengths for both the striker and recoil springs based on how it felt when you cocked it.  Guess I got it right!

Form 1 submitted.  Now the 8 month wait begins...
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for later reading
Looks super cool
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a good women.
Skills you got'em
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent post! Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice work. Amazing how simple the gun is.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've wanted to do this, or just buy one, for a while but no skill at welding myself and the Valk doesn't fill me with confidence for it's price...

Mostly due to Return to Castle Wolfenstein from years ago, if it can stop nazi zombies it deserve a chance!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the period correct Hello Kitty ammo boxes

Looks great! I am envious of your skills.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice build OP.  When Connecticut accidentally legalized STENs, I cut down some mags down to 10 rounds & mailed the remains to someone working on one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Indy Ord makes some good stuff.

I've built a MKII, MKIII, FBP, and Swedish K with their semi parts, and I'm just getting ready to park and finish a MKV rifle.

noticed in you last pic you are "cocked and locked". Be careful with that. That semi-auto setup is nowhere near drop-safe.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:30:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Sweet.

That's really impressive work. And it goes to show the simplicity and forgiving nature of the Sten that you can pull that off with basic tools. A Sten SMG is only 8x the price you know.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]
awesome, thats quite impressive!
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#11]
You, sir are my hero and inspiration. I just today got my stamp for my MkIII SBR build. Waited 200 days for it. Now, you've got me pumped!
What parts did you have to get besides the IO closed bolt kit and tube for 922r compliance?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm also curious how you spent $160 on 922r parts? You dont really need any.

The Sten has 12 parts that apply to 922r, and with only a USA receiver and barrel, you have already met the requirements for 922r. Add in the bolt and a USA made trunnion, and you have more than enough.

Basically it's hard to build the gun without meeting it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Did it for good measure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top