Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2017 1:22:29 AM EDT
I'd like to shorten my M&P 15-22, but wondering if I would be better off with a dedicated 22LR upper for a Form 1 lower I already have. If so, which dedicated upper and/or conversion kit should I be looking at?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:49:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If you already have a taxed lower, no f'n way I'd SBR the 15-22. Not even close to the same thing and a waste of time waiting and money. My favorite to shoot is my dedicated 4.5 suppressed.

Edit to add I have 3 kits from Spikes. I put the uppers together with 2 custom barrels, and don't recall what brand the third is. SBR 4.5 barrel was turned from a guy on here but I don't recall his name. I think he was out of Wa. state about 4 years ago. All 3 have been reliable and I'm very pleased with accuracy using American Eagle ammo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Ost. Am considering the same.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't want to spend the money to SBR multiple lowers, so I went with a dedicated upper.  I have no regrets.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
SBR the 15-22. It will not disappoint.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Be a true Arfcom member .... do both.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be a true Arfcom member .... do both.
View Quote

We need a like button.

I really like my 15-22 and will SBR it at some point.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You're right, both is probably the best answer.

So CMMG and/or TACCOM parts for a dedicated upper?

And what options do I have for a shorter handguard on an M&P 15-22 Sport? Or do I just shorten the barrel to say 11-12" and keep it factory? I shoot mostly CCI Standard Velocity anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
No way I'd SBR a 15-22.... and I own one.  It is nice and light.... but I still see it is as a throw-away gun, long term.

SBR a regular lower, then do what you want on top.... with a reliable system like Nordic or CMMG.  You can add or change things as you want, without regard to being stuck to one manufacturers platform or even caliber.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No way I'd SBR a 15-22.... and I own one.  It is nice and light.... but I still see it is as a throw-away gun, long term.

SBR a regular lower, then do what you want on top.... with a reliable system like Nordic or CMMG.  You can add or change things as you want, without regard to being stuck to one manufacturers platform or even caliber.
View Quote

That's how I view it but I don't own one. I'm all about dedicated lowers/uppers (spare uppers are for poor people ) but the ability to use a centerfire upper on the lower appeals to me
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I heard good things about this upper... https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-22rb-upper/
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
SBR your mP22.

I had a dedicated upper, and got really tired of it.

I have SBR'd 22s that I love, and I would do an MP-22 if I had one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
SBR your mP22.

View Quote
can you help me understand how an M&P22 would be less boring than a dedicated upper
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
can you help me understand how an M&P22 would be less boring than a dedicated upper
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SBR your mP22.

I had an upper I built with taccom bolt and barrel. I made a really nice one with the specific intent of it being suppressed 100% of the time. It worked great and it was fun, but I rarely shot it. I used an adapter for my magwell to use Mp 15-22 mags. I hated switching the upper and adapter out just to shoot 22, and I figured that even if I didn't have to take the mag adapter out, I still wouldn't like it.

Its the same reason why I don't build a whole bunch of uppers to switch out on a lower. Every time I put an upper together, I soon realize that I will just get a lower for it and make a new rifle.

I don't really like having a loose upper, I guess. I am compelled to build a new rifle.

So now if I want to build a new .22 upper, I will just SBR a lower for it so I can just have a dedicated rifle.

Mo guns, mo betta.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had an upper I built with taccom bolt and barrel. I made a really nice one with the specific intent of it being suppressed 100% of the time. It worked great and it was fun, but I rarely shot it. I used an adapter for my magwell to use Mp 15-22 mags. I hated switching the upper and adapter out just to shoot 22, and I figured that even if I didn't have to take the mag adapter out, I still wouldn't like it.

Its the same reason why I don't build a whole bunch of uppers to switch out on a lower. Every time I put an upper together, I soon realize that I will just get a lower for it and make a new rifle.

I don't really like having a loose upper, I guess. I am compelled to build a new rifle.

So now if I want to build a new .22 upper, I will just SBR a lower for it so I can just have a dedicated rifle.

Mo guns, mo betta.
View Quote

My (Gen 1) Nordic takes S&W mags without any adapter.    Snap/bang.  I wonder if others do too... because it is designed around black dog mags, but S&W mags snap in and work 100%.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My (Gen 1) Nordic takes S&W mags without any adapter.    Snap/bang.  I wonder if others do too... because it is designed around black dog mags, but S&W mags snap in and work 100%.
View Quote

The adapter was mostly for LRBHO
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#17]
So yeah, if I did a 22LR "dedicated upper" it would likely live on a "dedicated" Form 1 AR lower.

The 15-22 is a great little rifle, I guess maybe I just have some heartburn with a $200 stamp for a rifle I saw on sale today for $329.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So yeah, if I did a 22LR "dedicated upper" it would likely live on a "dedicated" Form 1 AR lower.

The 15-22 is a great little rifle, I guess maybe I just have some heartburn with a $200 stamp for a rifle I saw on sale today for $329.
View Quote

Don't even think about the stamp cost. Its a whole new gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I did 15 22 because it is so light weight.  Not sure why it is considered a throw away gun. My daughter and wife love to shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Waiting for my eForm MP5-22 to come back. SBR 22s are the shit!
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the 15-22 Sport. The overlapping M-Lok rows do not provide an ideal place to make a cut. Any shame (other than needing subsonic ammo) in leaving the handguard intact and cutting the barrel to maybe 12-inches?

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the same version of the 15-22. My plan is to cut the barrel to a length that will allow 1-2" of SiCo Spectre 2 to extend out the end of the handguard.

I don't mind having to use subsonic ammo if the barrel length is too long for standard ammo to stay subsonic.

JPK
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I have never had nothing but problems with .22 uppers.

I sold mine and bought a new M&P 15-22 and it has been flawless. I am about to form 1 the lower on it and cut the barrel down to 4.5".
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Is this a pic thread yet?

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

15-22. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Probably my least shot SBR, but I can confidently say M&P 15-22, it is 10000% flawless and its feather light
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#29]
15-22. Really happy with how mine turned out and glad I didn't just get a dedicated upper.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a 15-22 but sold it as I didn't like the plastic feel and I didn't want to be "stuck" with it. I chose to do a dedicated build using one of my SBR'd lowers using a Better Mag adapter to run the 15-22 mags. I couldn't be happier and still have the flexibility to change out parts as I like.

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had a 15-22 but sold it as I didn't like the plastic feel and I didn't want to be "stuck" with it. I chose to do a dedicated build using one of my SBR'd lowers using a Better Mag adapter to run the 15-22 mags. I couldn't be happier and still have the flexibility to change out parts as I like.
View Quote

To the OP, its totally personal preference I guess, I love the "plastic" weight, its feather light, and 22lr will never break the m&p. Then again I also love Glocks which I assume Outrider isn't a fan of

My first AR many many moons ago was a Carbon-15, also a poly lower, which many considered crap and maybe it was, but I shot the helllll out of that thing as a kid and it functioned flawlessly. Running 3-gun I could only dream of having something that light, but everyone says the poly mold was "crap", which would also say a Glock is crap. I agree with this if I had multiple tanks running it over and maybe if this happened I would say "wish I brought my 1911 today so it would survive this unrealistic situation" but I don't plan on that happening
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

To the OP, its totally personal preference I guess, I love the "plastic" weight, its feather light, and 22lr will never break the m&p. Then again I also love Glocks which I assume Outrider isn't a fan of

My first AR many many moons ago was a Carbon-15, also a poly lower, which many considered crap and maybe it was, but I shot the helllll out of that thing as a kid and it functioned flawlessly. Running 3-gun I could only dream of having something that light, but everyone says the poly mold was "crap", which would also say a Glock is crap. I agree with this if I had multiple tanks running it over and maybe if this happened I would say "wish I brought my 1911 today so it would survive this unrealistic situation" but I don't plan on that happening
View Quote

Nah I like Glocks. But I also like 1911s. I'm so heavily invested in the AR platform that I wanted to take advantage of receivers and accessories. I just change things too often on my builds.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nah I like Glocks. But I also like 1911s. I'm so heavily invested in the AR platform that I wanted to take advantage of receivers and accessories. I just change things too often on my builds.
View Quote

I hear ya hah. I started into the collectables market this year, and am hoping it doesn't go anything like my other gun obsessions , there's some pretty cool stuff out there that Browning started off with in the early 1900s that aren't that expensive.

Btw congrats on the win, that game was a thing of beauty!
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#34]
SBR the 15-22 lovin' mine and may sbr another one to have as it's always the gun everyone at the range want to shoot.  This thing is a steel plate ringing beast.  I love that it runs smooth and is not finicky with 22lr ammo.

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
SBR the 15-22 lovin' mine and may sbr another one to have as it's always the gun everyone at the range want to shoot.  This thing is a steel plate ringing beast.  I love that it runs smooth and is not finicky with 22lr ammo.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah183/volfan25/Mobile%20Uploads/0110171714_zps7k4xxazh.jpg
View Quote

So you left your Sport handguard at full length? What is your barrel cut to? Any concern about bulk ammo not staying subsonic? Not being critical, just facing the same questions - the Sport 2 just doesn't have a great place to make a cut.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#36]
It's cut to 8.5" so I had 8" cut off and I'm 6'2" with long arms so I didn't want a micro pistol just something to mimic my BCM 11.5 AR and it turned out great.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's cut to 8.5" so I had 8" cut off and I'm 6'2" with long arms so I didn't want a micro pistol just something to mimic my BCM 11.5 AR and it turned out great.
View Quote

You have done exactly what I want to do with mine, which is to mimic my 10.5"-11.5" SBRs. Looks great!

What suppressor is mounted?

Who cut and threaded your barrel? I have a local shop that can do it properly, but thinking maybe Adco, which is often recommended.

For JohnLWare, Remington Golden Bullet bulk ammo shot out of my factory length 15-22 and 16.1" 10/22 is subsonic 60% of the time or so, so I'm thinking that out out of an 8-10" barrel it would be subsonic 100% of the time. A plus for the Golden Bullet ammo for plinking is that the plating or wash isn't lubed, so it doesn't gum up semi pistols or rifles like lubed lead bullet ammo does. Fwiw, I am shooting not much above sea level.

JPK
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You have done exactly what I want to do with mine, which is to mimic my 10.5"-11.5" SBRs. Looks great!

What suppressor is mounted?

Who cut and threaded your barrel? I have a local shop that can do it properly, but thinking maybe Adco, which is often recommended.

JPK
View Quote

Thanks!  The suppressor is a Dead Air Mask and I had Morgan at Class 3 firearms cut and thread it for me.  He's done great work on the stuff I've sent him so far and his pricing is reasonable.
The rifle feels really balanced and handles great.  It is lighter than a standard AR but that's the biggest difference and with the ALG trigger/JPS springs it's the smoothest 22AR I've shot.

Also, I shoot mainly CCI Standard ammo through it and never had any problems with them going super even when the barrel was 16" (it's closer to 16.5 once you take it off an measure it).
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the info.

Right now I'm using a GM-22 on my 15-22 because of the short length and light weight of the GM-22, and the combo is great. But when I go SBR I think I'll switch to a Spectre II because of the reduced length and weight of the cut barrel. With the 16"+ barrel and the Spectre the carbine is a bit muzzle heavy balance wise. (Interestingly, my son and I both like the extra weight of the Spectre on end of the 10/22, but not the 15-22.)

For whatever reason, around here I can't walk into a big box sports store or my LGS and not find the Golden Bullet bulk boxes, but I can only find CCI by the 50rnd box and never in a 10x50rnd box brick, so I stick with the Golden Bullet. As you would expect, the Golden Bullet is subsonic out of my pistols. If I want to stay subsonic with the carbines I use Norma subsonic hollow points, which shoots very well.

I need to pick something up near my favorite local SOT shop today, and if they have the SS kiosk up and running for Form 1s I think I'll file a Form 1 today!

I use Geissele triggers in my ARs, and the trigger in my 15-22 could use some improvement, but it isn't horrible.

JPK
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Will do. Thanks.

I dropped by my favorite local SOT which is a SS authorized and kiosk equipped shop (which also holds a manufacturers' FFL.) No go on Form 1's, though Form 4 SBRs are doable via SS and the kiosk. The pita of 41FU is coming home... Need to spend a morning driving around... crap.

JPK
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:22:49 AM EDT
[#42]
A couple years ago, I made the decision to run a Spikes 22 upper on a regular lower SBR'd.  I got one of the last conversions they made.  They stopped selling them because they were tired of people tinkering them and returning them for repair.

I do understand the M&P guns are more reliable and the mags are easy to use.  However, the Spikes has worked great for me and no issue with BDM mags.  

The Spikes upper was very expensive, I could have bought an M&P and tax for the same price.  However, the M&P lower is not nearly as multi purpose as a regular lower.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah183/volfan25/Mobile%20Uploads/0110171714_zps7k4xxazh.jpg
View Quote

how do you take the rail off to get the barrel out?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#44]
The S&W 15-22 has a proprietary barrel nut that holds the rail to the upper receiver.  You have to buy (around $15 for the wrench) or make a tool out of pipe to remove the rail.  Then the barrel slides out through the back of the upper receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top