Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2016 12:33:12 PM EDT
I think I'm going to contact QC10, but wanted some opinions here as well.

Original Config
Hardware
QC10 9mm Glock lower
Lone Wolf Glock Cut bolt
3.5" barrel
AAC ECO-9 suppressor
H2 Buffer and quarters
Carbine Spring

This config, shooting 147 gr freedom reloads and 135 gr critical defense - functioned great with glock mags, except on one of the last mags of critical defense, broke the bolt catch.
Emailed QC10 for a new bolt catch spring, and they told me I should be running somewhere around an 8 oz buffer. So I bought an 8 oz 9mm buffer from KAK and ran that, but now I am getting FTE issues using my latest batch of Freedom Munitions ammo (ran some older FM ammo fine on a previous range trip). Thinking maybe this batch of ammo has a little less umph, but that is purely speculative. I want my rifle to run everything, even weaker loads. Still locks bolt back though.
My ejector does wiggle, but I think it is supposed to.

What should I try?:
try a wolf extra power spring with KAK 8oz buffer (if my thought process is right, this would be the opposite way to go, but I do have one)
chop a little off of my current carbine spring
run the H2 Buffer again with the wolf spring and more quarters (would probably work somewhere in middle of original H2/carbine and 8.0oz buffer/carbine. Also have a seekins bolt catch that is supposedly stronger than normal bolt catches)
or ??

Would rather have a rifle that beats itself up a little and functions 100% over one that has less recoil but may not eject rounds properly.

I am also going to check out where the ejector sits tonight - I have read about people bending theirs inwards until it is almost touching the bolt, I don't know where mine is currently sitting.

And is there a different subforum that I should be posting in or is this the right one for this question?

Edit: So I have bent my ejector to make better contact with the brass, per QC10s recommendation. However, I noticed now that my bolt has a very thin wall appears to be eroding. Could this cause my FTEs or problems down the road?

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Not uncommon to break bolt catches.
I broke 2 on a .40 cal suppressed using QC10 GSF lower. Rudy at Macon Armory loaded my buffer up with more lead.

If I were you I'd ask this question in the Pistol Cal Carbine section. Rudy is always on there and will fix you up right.

On my .40 I upgraded to a tool steel bolt catch as well. The heavier buffer slowed the action down witch seems to be helping on breakage. So far 200 rounds and no issues.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
So I'm already running a heavy buffer, but now getting FTEs...
I'd rather chance breaking a bolt catch over malfunctions that make the weapon inoperable.
Glad you're running well!

Thanks for the heads up, I posted over in that subforum as well. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
As stated, install a tool steel bolt catch.  Common problem in 9mm ar's
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
He walked me through a modification using a feeler gauge to keep the POS wiggly ejector from moving. It worked like a champ.
I had the same issues you are having.

What weight is your buffer?
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Who is he?
Yeah I think it needs to be bent inwards toward center and upwards. I will attach pictures tonight. Don't know how bending upwards would work out with the ejector still on the lower, seems like it would be very possible to break something.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Rudy at Macon Armory

No bending required
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have some barrel shims I could cut up and then solder in place.
I am running an 8 oz buffer
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
So looking at everything and talking to QC10 support, it seems that the cut in the lone wolf bolt was a little wider than the cut that QC10 puts in them, so the ejector was able to move to where it just barely made contact with the outer edge of the brass. My options were to shim or bend the ejector. Due to the extremely small gap for a shim, I ended up just bending the extractor (off the lower) up and inwards where it just barely makes contact with the bolt cut out. It is not possible to sit or move anywhere but right on the notch when it makes contact with the brass.

Fingers crossed it shoots well when I get to the range this weekend.

Will post pics when I remember at home.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
See pics/update in OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top