Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2016 8:58:56 AM EDT
Has anyone requested fingerprint cards from the Atf? If so how long did it take from request date to delivery. I was shocked they did not charge me for the cards.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I've ordered a couple times and it only took ~1 week.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Cards are free, usually a week no longer than 2.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered a few entire Form 1 packets (forms and fingerprint cards) and like the others have mentioned, about a week or so.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to bad.. I'll waite it out rather then traveling to the sheriff office. Local police have the wrong cards
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
No need for LEO to take fingerprints.  You can do it @ home.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I had no idea I  could do this. Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Has anyone requested fingerprint cards from the Atf? If so how long did it take from request date to delivery. I was shocked they did not charge me for the cards.
View Quote

What's the best way to request the fingerprint cards?  Call them?  or is there an online order form?  Disregard, can be ordered through the ATF site.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Took less than a week for mine
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure about that...  

The page on the ATF about finger print cards is generic, so maybe it doesn't apply to NFA paperwork, but I doubt it.  They clearly state "The fingerprint cards must be completed by your local law enforcement authority."

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/how-do-i-get-my-fingerprints-taken

I wish we could do them at home.  it would save a lot of hassle...
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And if you'd simply read the address of the link you posted, you'd realize that applies to explosives...which have their own unique set of rules and don't even use the same ORI. You'd order FD-258EX cards for explosives instead of the FD-258LE cards we use for NFA applications.

The NFA regulations say nothing more than the person should be properly equipped to take them, which is the same wording you'll see on the F1/F4.

ETA: there was an article on TFB that was posted almost two months ago that posted the same link you did, and it spread over a lot of forums...it has since been corrected here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure about that...  

The page on the ATF about finger print cards is generic, so maybe it doesn't apply to NFA paperwork, but I doubt it.  They clearly state "The fingerprint cards must be completed by your local law enforcement authority."

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/how-do-i-get-my-fingerprints-taken

I wish we could do them at home.  it would save a lot of hassle...

And if you'd simply read the address of the link you posted, you'd realize that applies to explosives...which have their own unique set of rules and don't even use the same ORI. You'd order FD-258EX cards for explosives instead of the FD-258LE cards we use for NFA applications.

The NFA regulations say nothing more than the person should be properly equipped to take them, which is the same wording you'll see on the F1/F4.

ETA: there was an article on TFB that was posted almost two months ago that posted the same link you did, and it spread over a lot of forums...it has since been corrected here.

Sorry... It was a direct link from the online forum where I ordered the fingerprint cards...
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got my Form 1s and fingerprint cards in like 3-4 days.  I was surprised!
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#13]
i usually receive them in a day or two , but where they're mailed out of is only a couple of miles from me.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I have submitted almost 2 dozen sets of fingerprint cards for myself that I did at home with an ink pad I bought at Staples. I've also done probably 100 or more sets for others when I worked for an FFL using the same ink pad. Not once has NFA Branch kicked them back because they were done by non-LE. IIRC, I did get one set kicked back because a print was smudged a bit too much.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I requested 20,000 and they only sent me 100. bastards!
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]
That was super fast. Took only 3 days to get them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

dod gammit i spent 3 hours traveling and an hour getting fingerprinted at the state police..  Wish I saw this earlier.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Heck, I'm lucky to live in an area where its no big deal. I went 10 days ago and my local PD did it for me in just a few minutes. Then  I filed two more form 4's and went back and they just reprinted them for me. Small city but its cool they have the clean high tech machine. Place your fingers on the glass plate and boom your done. They supply the cards for you.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Heck, I'm lucky to live in an area where its no big deal. I went 10 days ago and my local PD did it for me in just a few minutes. Then  I filed two more form 4's and went back and they just reprinted them for me. Small city but its cool they have the clean high tech machine. Place your fingers on the glass plate and boom your done. They supply the cards for you.
View Quote

Yeaa these guys had a new machine for fingerprinting and didn't know how to use it.  After trying to figure it out for an hour they gave up and just did the ink prints.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice good to know for next suppressor
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Do I need to use particular fingerprint cards?
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They need the correct ORI on them. They're FD-258LE cards. Assuming not all PDs use those cards, I'd have to assume you could use other types (both ink & digital) and add the ORI and other info to the cards.

They're free from the ATF, arrive within a week or two, so no real good reason not to use the proper ones to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They need the correct ORI on them. They're FD-258LE cards. Assuming not all PDs use those cards, I'd have to assume you could use other types (both ink & digital) and add the ORI and other info to the cards.

They're free from the ATF, arrive within a week or two, so no real good reason not to use the proper ones to begin with.

Thanks.  I'll see what my options are at the local PD.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not ordering online is very easy and had less than a week turn around. I'm headed to Staples to pick up an ink pad to roll my own
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Thanks for posting a direct link to the right place to go, order placed!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I just want to clarify this. Are you able to fingerprint your own cards with out Leo?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I just want to clarify this. Are you able to fingerprint your own cards with out Leo?
View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And for anybody ordering them, make sure to choose the FD-258LE cards from the dropdown for NFA applications.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for posting a direct link to the right place to go, order placed!

And for anybody ordering them, make sure to choose the FD-258LE cards from the dropdown for NFA applications.

I just got my fingerprints done today at CCBI in Raleigh. I was just concerned with the cards being FD-258, not with the LE suffix. I hope I didn't get the wrong ones done.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Source?

The back of the cards would disagree.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Source?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I just want to clarify this. Are you able to fingerprint your own cards with out Leo?

Yes.  

Source?

41f.  I'm not digging through all 87 pages for you.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:19:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Yep, that's all ATF's regs state, "properly equipped to take them". I'm LE; they didn't grant me any special fingerprint taker certificate after being trained to do it. Anyone can do it. You can print off a scan of a great quality completed card from your home printer also. At 500dpi or higher, they won't be able to tell the difference between what an AFIS machine outputs. That's all FBI CJIS specs call for: 500dpi resolution. Most home printers (and scanners) can easily do 600dpi. FD-258 cards were last revised 9/9/2013, but they will accept older versions. We still use the 3/1/2010 revision at my agency, and that's what I received from ATF Distribution Center earlier this year. The correct ORI for NFA applications is:

WVATF0800
ATF-NATL TRA CTR

MARTINSBURG, WV

If you print a PDF scan, use 'actual size' 8x8" when you feed the cards in. You'll have to edit out what's pre-printed on the cards, unless you can obtain "Live Scan" cards, which are completely blank. They ship them free to agencies, but only in a 2,000 count box. If anybody wants to pay the postage, I'll send you some.

The ones from ATF ship free to your door, of course. They only use the LE suffix as a designation in their Distribution Center website's drop-down order form to distinguish which ORI is pre-printed on the FD-258. They don't have "LE" printed on them anywhere.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Source?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Source?

I have submitted about 2 dozen sets I've done for myself, as well as hundreds I've done for customers when I was in the business. Only once has BATFE rejected a set, and that was just because one print was smudged.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#36]
What kind of ink pads are you guys using?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#37]
How do you request fingerprint cards?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top