Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 8:31:45 AM EDT
So i remember reading somewhere here that someone makes an application every year for the approval of transferring their NFA items for the next year, that way when they decide to go about they have prior approval.

questions
1) Can you have overlapping destination/timelines, or multiple locations for the next year? i.e. can i request Pennsylvania for 2017 and Florida for 2017?  

2) when you put the destination, it asks for a specific house number etc.  Is that required, or if i'm intending to hunt on public land there or whatever can I just put "XXX park" or just leave it as a state to allow me to roam about?

3) For places in between origin and destination, it is my understanding that you're not permitted to use the item on the way, and that its just permitting passage through.  is that true?

i'm planning for a very far in future trip and application, so i dont have any specific plans right now, just trying to get my ducks in a row.  

also I'm aware that local laws have to be followed (can't bring SBR into state where SBR isn't allowed etc)

many thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Following.....

I would like to know as well
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Following.....

I would like to know as well
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The 5320.20 is the form you'd be using.  The ATF won't approve one that spans over a year.  I've heard of people that send in the same packet of forms every year for a complete year time span.  Many people will pick a location in a state (hotel, campground, etc) and put that as the destination in block 7 along with the words "and other locations within the state".  So in short, yes, you can have overlapping destinations and timelines and multiple locations for a given year.  The approved form allows you to transport across state lines.  It doesn't dictate that you can only use the gun in certain places for certain activities.

Box 5:  whatever your purpose is + "and all other lawful reasons".
Box 6: your home/registered address
Box 7:  Address + "and other locations within the state"
Box 8: Personal vehicle and commercial transportation as needed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So i remember reading somewhere here that someone makes an application every year for the approval of transferring their NFA items for the next year, that way when they decide to go about they have prior approval.

questions
1) Can you have overlapping destination/timelines, or multiple locations for the next year? i.e. can i request Pennsylvania for 2017 and Florida for 2017?  Yes you can have multiple destinations during the same year.

2) when you put the destination, it asks for a specific house number etc.  Is that required, or if i'm intending to hunt on public land there or whatever can I just put "XXX park" or just leave it as a state to allow me to roam about? I normally put the location where I and the gun will sleep for he night.

3) For places in between origin and destination, it is my understanding that you're not permitted to use the item on the way, and that its just permitting passage through.  is that true? Not Sure.

i'm planning for a very far in future trip and application, so i dont have any specific plans right now, just trying to get my ducks in a row.  

also I'm aware that local laws have to be followed (can't bring SBR into state where SBR isn't allowed etc)

many thanks for all the help.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
On a different note, I just got my first one back for my 10.5" Noveske BLK rifle to go deer hunting in WI next month.

It was pretty easy to do and came back in ~3 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can definitely have overlapping dates...I sent this stack in to cover 10 states for all of 2017 (11 firearms per state):

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/38C963E5-1DCD-419B-A249-0F321A58CD7A_zps0xvtmpj8.jpg

They've recently been requiring an actual address. They use to accept GPS Coordinates, street intersections, etc. I usually just pick a gun range in the state and submit that address.

The Safe Passage portion of FOPA covers you for normal travel, including stops for fuel and food. Not sightseeing treks or overnight stays, and not for use of the firearm.
View Quote

Can you confirm something for me? Say I am driving from Kansas to Indiana. Takes me through MO AND IL, only one of which is a state where SBR's (and freedoms in general) are illegal.
Do I need to apply for IL papers?
Can I go through IL at ALL?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can definitely have overlapping dates...I sent this stack in to cover 10 states for all of 2017 (11 firearms per state):

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/38C963E5-1DCD-419B-A249-0F321A58CD7A_zps0xvtmpj8.jpg

They've recently been requiring an actual address. They use to accept GPS Coordinates, street intersections, etc. I usually just pick a gun range in the state and submit that address.

The Safe Passage portion of FOPA covers you for normal travel, including stops for fuel and food. Not sightseeing treks or overnight stays, and not for use of the firearm.
View Quote

NFA examiners hate him with this one easy trick.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can you confirm something for me? Say I am driving from Kansas to Indiana. Takes me through MO AND IL, only one of which is a state where SBR's (and freedoms in general) are illegal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do not need a 5023.20 to transport through a state, only for states in which your travel "ends" and you engage in non-travel activities (even if you resume travel thereafter -- i.e. you can't stop at a range on the way through MO and proceed on).

The FOPA will protect you transporting guns that illegal under state law. It would be good to read, understand, and print this as it's brief and could potentially help you avoid trouble.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

FOPA will not protect your magazines or ammunition from state or local level restrictions, however, so be aware and avoid violating state and local laws. Magazines and ammunition are easily shipped.

Also keep in mind that none of this will 100% prevent you from being hassled, delayed, or even arrested by a overzealous and underinformed officer or trooper. As they say, you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride. Best outcome is to avoid being stopped, and failing that, being in a situation where the police have cause to search your trunk.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top