Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2016 3:57:03 PM EDT
I'm thinking about building an 8.5" 300blk upper for shooting subsonic rounds with my F1 suppressor. My question is do you ever feel like this setup is just a novelty? Do you ever wish you would have done something different? I just don't want to build it, shoot it some, then go "well that was fun" and not shoot it much after that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#1]
do it
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do it
View Quote

Your a man who gets to straight to the point
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
do it

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Do it.  Pick up some Barnes 110gr supers for killing things mo better.
The 200gr REAPR expanding subs seem to do a good job if you want to stay subsonic but they still fly (drop) like a sub.

Other than that, if you're not reloading, pick up a case of Gemtech or S&B subs when they're on sale for plinking.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Just do it. I built mine mainly for an effective HD rnd that wouldn't cause myself or family to go deaf, plus it's a shitload of fun to shoot so I'd say no I don't see it as a novelty item.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
300 BLK suppressed from an SBR is greatness.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 200gr REAPR expanding subs seem to do a good job if you want to stay subsonic but they still fly (drop) like a sub.

Other than that, if you're not reloading, pick up a case of Gemtech or S&B subs when they're on sale for plinking.

http://youtu.be/tHVTnehkZLc
View Quote

Sorry for possible thread derailment, but what kind of competition is that where you leave a hot rifle on a barrel and then move forward?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sorry for possible thread derailment, but what kind of competition is that where you leave a hot rifle on a barrel and then move forward?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like they had a mat on top so it wouldn't melt the barrel
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think by hot he meant loaded with one in the pipe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an 8" franken build and a 10.5" Noveske build. The 8" is super compact and light and the 10.5" feels more like a full size rifle.

Suppressed they're both fun as hell

I say do it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Get one for sure, that's all I take hog hunting now. 110 black tips for super's and 205 Gorilla silverback all copper subs have no problems taking out hogs. Plan to try it out on some whitetail doe and cull bucks in a few months.

If you want a little more velocity, Bison armory has some 1:7 twist 6.8spc barrels from 8"-16" that will stabilize their 200 grain bullets at subsonic velocity. I have an 11.5" from them I'm working on now. I don't think I'll ever use it for subs, but it's nice to have that option.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#12]
My super rig is used more than my Sub rig. The Sub upper basically just hangs around for when I need a giggle. But always get both.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#13]
My 8.5" suppressed is my favorite rig.
I added a Governator  sub/off/super 3-position gas block.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is true!

JPK
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, looks like I'm going to try and do 300blk before everything disappears. I reload and will cast bullets for sub sonic use.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, looks like I'm going to try and do 300blk before everything disappears. I reload and will cast bullets for sub sonic use.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#18]
The downside of the BLK is keeping it stocked with ammo.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pointed at the left berm in safe and the pistol path goes right, but your right, in any formal match there would be barrels.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#20]
My 8" Blackout upper is a lot of fun to shoot.  It's not a novelty - I can do things with 300 Blackout that I can't with a pistol caliber upper.  So it's NOT a fad or novelty to me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#21]
SBR with a can, no more fun thats legal,do it. Only bad thing is if you do not relaod is the cost to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone go with a 6" 300bo? I've seen a few of these around and while I love my 10.3, I've been lusting for an even shorter barreled version as well
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess the best way to put it would be if you love reloading its 1000% worth it, nothing more fun/quiet to shoot suppressed.

My problem is I love the SBR as-is (8-10" barrel) almost as much, if not more, and if I weren't shooting suppressed I would never shoot 300s

If I didn't live in Florida and reload in my garage I would love reloading more
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a 8.5" 300 SBR that I run with a suppressor and it's one of my favorite guns to shoot. Wife loves it too. I have a ni-bx bcg and buffer tube and a jp silent spring system in it as well. Smooth as buttah!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#25]
300 blk is awesome especially if you reload and cast. Subs are quiet and with correct bullet you can hunt within 100 yards. If you want to reach out farther you can go with supers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#26]
9" SBR subsonic suppressed is where the 300blk shines. You are doing it right. Proceed with confidence.

If there is anything to hesitate about it is the cost of ammo and there are few 308 bullets that expand at subsonic velocities and they are expensive. I have been hoping for a while now that someone would catch on and manufacture a expanding 300 blk bullet that is cheap using the principles that since it is subsonic it doesn't need a heavy super accurate jacket like other 308 bullets and the max range is very limited anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
9" SBR subsonic suppressed is where the 300blk shines. You are doing it right. Proceed with confidence.

If there is anything to hesitate about it is the cost of ammo and there are few 308 bullets that expand at subsonic velocities and they are expensive. I have been hoping for a while now that someone would catch on and manufacture a expanding 300 blk bullet that is cheap using the principles that since it is subsonic it doesn't need a heavy super accurate jacket like other 308 bullets and the max range is very limited anyway.
View Quote

Thin expanding jackets have been done by FatMcNasty. Unfortunately as I understand it, his jacket supplier shut down production and to make jackets himself drives the cost up too high.

I used one last season to effectively take a white tail. Shot placement is critical when hunting with any subsonic bullet.

Here is the FatMcNasty on the right:

As far as the OP's question, go for it. It is not the best cartridge in the world (whatever that is) but it does let you send 245 grains of cast lead downrange at a 1,000 fps... quietly.

I have spent a lot of time working up loads for the 300 in my 8" SBR and continue to enjoy it's versatility.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Kinda wish I had gone 6.5, but the 300 should be more fun if/when my F1 suppressor gets approved
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Kinda wish I had gone 6.5, but the 300 should be more fun if/when my F1 suppressor gets approved
View Quote

Totally different applications IMHO

I have an 8.5" 300blk and I'm trying to get into a 18" or 20" faxon 6.5 group buy to try my hand at 1000yd
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#30]
300blk sounds like a lot of fun, especially since I enjoy hand loading.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Not intended as a thread hijack as my question directly pertains to the focus of this thread, but let's say for someone with 1) no intention to reload, and 2) who would only shoot subsonics, is there any reason to get into 300blk?

I keep getting tempted by the round as I have an Omega in jail currently, but for the price of subsonic ammo I've seen out there (admittedly, I've not done a ton of looking), I don't think I'd ever shoot it due to the cost of each trigger press.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not intended as a thread hijack as my question directly pertains to the focus of this thread, but let's say for someone with 1) no intention to reload, and 2) who would only shoot subsonics, is there any reason to get into 300blk?

I keep getting tempted by the round as I have an Omega in jail currently, but for the price of subsonic ammo I've seen out there (admittedly, I've not done a ton of looking), I don't think I'd ever shoot it due to the cost of each trigger press.
View Quote

You can find deals on Gemtech and S&B subs every now and then, buy by the case
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#33]
The cost of any 300BLK ammo and the absence of reasonably priced expanding subsonic ammo or bullets were the reasons I sold my 10.5" 300BLK barrel. But I miss my BLK. I have been thinking of buying or building another +/- 10" 300BLK upper just because it is so much fun to shoot, and about as quiet suppressed as a semi auto 22lr suppressed.

I really hope Hawk or another bullet maker comes up with a cheap expanding bullet, I would load for the 300BLK for that, and I really don't like reloading.

JPK
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#34]
How much do the expanding subsonic loads run per round?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

~$2, it's not something to plink with.  You can find non-expanding subs for ~$0.55 from Gemtech and S&B

https://store.ar15.com/product.html?cat=10&pr=745

http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/300-aac-blackout-whisper-194gr-subsonic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Short answer personally is not really. I would do 9mm suppressed subsonic instead since it can be used on more steel targets.

With that said the ruger American 300blk bolt is a great deal and is fun to plink with subsonic. Best I have found is 17/box of 20 for sig 220 and silencerco 220.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

~$2, it's not something to plink with.  You can find non-expanding subs for ~$0.55 from Gemtech and S&B

http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/300-aac-blackout-whisper-194gr-subsonic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely not something to mag dump with lol. I would probably stick to super loads for hunting just because I want the extra knock down of a full power load.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...you can get Remington 220gr OTFB for $0.75/rd, Armcorp 220gr HPBT at $0.85, the Blackgun Sierra 220gr HPBT at $0.92, and even Cor-Bon 240gr JHP at $1.40.  None of it's cheap, but it ain't $2/bang.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The cost of any 300BLK ammo and the absence of reasonably priced expanding subsonic ammo or bullets were the reasons I sold my 10.5" 300BLK barrel. But I miss my BLK. I have been thinking of buying or building another +/- 10" 300BLK upper just because it is so much fun to shoot, and about as quiet suppressed as a semi auto 22lr suppressed.

I really hope Hawk or another bullet maker comes up with a cheap expanding bullet, I would load for the 300BLK for that, and I really don't like reloading.

JPK
View Quote

Curiosity drove me to look at the Hawk Bullets website since I knew some guys with 300BLK's were approaching Hawk to try to get them to offer a heavy .308" expanding bullet, and apparently Hawk listened. They offer a 200gr .308" round nose with a .25" jacket, which is the same jacket thickness they use for revolver and pistol bullets.

Hmm, might have to get moving on the 300BLK upper.

JPK
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hmmm...you can get Remington 220gr OTFB for $0.75/rd, Armcorp 220gr HPBT at $0.85, the Blackgun Sierra 220gr HPBT at $0.92, and even Cor-Bon 240gr JHP at $1.40.  None of it's cheap, but it ain't $2/bang.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope I am wrong, but it is my understanding that none of the OTM or HPBT's will open at BLK velocities.

I found Oitlaw State Bullets which makes various weight .308" bullets designed to open at subsonic velocities. Prices ran from about $0.85 to $1.00/bullet.

JPK

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And none of those projectiles expand at subsonic velocities, which was his question...
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

"No intention to reload" is a pretty strong statement.  A hardware setup to load a single caliber can cost on the order of $150, but that gives you ALL the flexibility you need to make rounds do what you want, and it's somewhere around the cost of 6-10 boxes of (reasonably priced) commercial Blackout ammunition.  I think that's a decent reason to at least consider loading your own rounds to capitalize on the Omega.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

My super rig is used more than my Sub rig. The Sub upper basically just hangs around for when I need a giggle. But always get both.
View Quote

What's the difference between your setups?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The downside of the BLK is keeping it stocked with ammo.
View Quote

Not if you reload, and buy a Harbor Freight cut-off saw for $29.95.

.223 brass is cheap and readily available.  So are .308" diameter bullets.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
truth

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Get a JP silent captured spring too for extra quiet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I really want to do 300blk now, just don't know if the ol' wallet can handle it at this time
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Take a look at the 8.3" 300 AAC from Ballistic Advantage;

BA Hanson AR Barrels
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top