Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Going to order an SLR ion lite tomorrow unless someone has something better.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If you've decided to go Mlok on the handguard, I'd go URX4 Mlok in 10.75 for the 11.5" barrel....
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you've decided to go Mlok on the handguard, I'd go URX4 Mlok in 10.75 for the 11.5" barrel....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost did that myself but the problem with the URX4 is, it won't work if you have a pinned on gas block (which is the only way I roll). unless you want to cut/drill a hole in the side of it.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I almost did that myself but the problem with the URX4 is, it won't work if you have a pinned on gas block (which is the only way I roll). unless you want to cut/drill a hole in the side of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad I saw this, my gb is pinned.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a Heat shield in it like the URXii?

I had issues with my gas block (not pinned) not fitting with the bottom rail. I took a little off of the gas block and got it to fit. No issues yet. I figure I'll go a few hundred rounds or run it hard one day and then take it apart to make sure all is well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had issues with my gas block (not pinned) not fitting with the bottom rail. I took a little off of the gas block and got it to fit. No issues yet. I figure I'll go a few hundred rounds or run it hard one day and then take it apart to make sure all is well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not an issue with fitting or heat shields. The problem is the way the URX4 installs, you have to installed the gas block after the rail itself is installed but once the rail is installed, you can't drive in the pin(s) that hold on the gas block. If they made a 7" version I would have loved it for my 9mm build that has no gas block.

ETA - I image if you really wanted to do it, you could probably fit the rail/shims but before tightening it down, align it so you can install the gas block and drive in the pin(s) through the M-Lok slots but that would probably be a royal PITA and even worse with the keymod version.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Its not an issue with fitting or heat shields. The problem is the way the URX4 installs, you have to installed the gas block after the rail itself is installed but once the rail is installed, you can't drive in the pin(s) that hold on the gas block. If they made a 7" version I would have loved it for my 9mm build that has no gas block.

ETA - I image if you really wanted to do it, you could probably fit the rail/shims but before tightening it down, align it so you can install the gas block and drive in the pin(s) through the M-Lok slots but that would probably be a royal PITA and even worse with the keymod version.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you installing the gas block after the rail?  That's the beauty of the URX. You can assemble the barrel/gas block/gas tube and then install the barrel nut and torque it down even with the gas tube already run through the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why are you installing the gas block after the rail?  That's the beauty of the URX. You can assemble the barrel/gas block/gas tube and then install the barrel nut and torque it down even with the gas tube already run through the receiver.
View Quote

I only have Experience with the URXii, but I think the URX4 will not work like this. There is no separate barrel nut to torque like the URXii and 3. Looks like the rail/ barrel nut are one piece.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think we are talking about the same rail? I was referring to the URX 4 and here is the install instructions for it... URX 4 Installation & History of the Rail System - Knight's Armament  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't think we are talking about the same rail? I was referring to the URX 4 and here is the install instructions for it... URX 4 Installation & History of the Rail System - Knight's Armament  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ... I watched the same video after your last reply then had to go back and look for pictures of the back end.

Personally, I just wouldnt pin the gas block, but I understand people have their way of doing things and what they prefer, so to each his own.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This ... I watched the same video after your last reply then had to go back and look for pictures of the back end.

Personally, I just wouldnt pin the gas block, but I understand people have their way of doing things and what they prefer, so to each his own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disregard.  I'm a retread.  I guess that make it reason number 385328 why I prefer the URX2/3/3.1 over the 4...  The URX 2 & 3's are much easier to install.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Disregard.  I'm a retread.  I guess that make it reason number 385328 why I prefer the URX2/3/3.1 over the 4...  The URX 2 & 3's are much easier to install.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reason # 87 - That dirty Keymod...
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw a urx 4 on the EE I was thinking about getting, but I don't think I like the way it installs or the way it looks as much as the 3.1. Y'all know who has a 3.1 10.75 in stock for a decent price?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I ordered the 10.75" SLR Ion lite in M-lok.

I wanted a KAC URX 3 but I got tired of looking for them at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I had been looking at 10.5-10.75" rails to replace one on my 11.5" SBR.  I think I've settled on the 10.7 SLR Ion Lite too.  

The URX 3.1 is dead sexy but I can't really think of any practical reason not to go with the SLR rail.  $100 extra for the tool and might end up with a gap between the rail and upper.    I like KAC stuff though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had been looking at 10.5-10.75" rails to replace one on my 11.5" SBR.  I think I've settled on the 10.7 SLR Ion Lite too.  

The URX 3.1 is dead sexy but I can't really think of any practical reason not to go with the SLR rail.  $100 extra for the tool and might end up with a gap between the rail and upper.    I like KAC stuff though.
View Quote

Someone might let you borrow a wrench and who cares about a gap?

KAC bruh.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
slr makes some nice rails , you can't really go wrong with either really.  

kac urx rails can be timed to the receiver if you don't want a gap.  it's a little more work but pretty easy to do.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

kac urx rails can be timed to the receiver if you don't want a gap.  it's a little more work but pretty easy to do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_1651_zps1f68c7dd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_1650_zps50b39bb2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_1654_zps2a2685aa.jpg    
View Quote
I could see myself doing that.  I plan to paint it anyway.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much did you pucker when you did that? Looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if your going to paint it just hit it with some alumablack first and you should be gtg , most of the area is hidden by the receiver anyways.  i usually cover the area with norrell's socom black.  it matches the factory anno pretty good.
the first one i did was just for cosmetics to get rid of the gap.  now when i time a urx rail i make sure to remove just enough material to make it "tight" when it's clocked correctly.  i've never seen a urx rail come loose but this way it takes half the chance out of the equation by only being able to turn one way.  the tool steel barrel nuts for urx rails by d. wilson are also very nice compared to the aluminum kac barrel nuts.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

timing a urx isn't bad at all , you ALMOST can't f it up.  if you take a little to much material off you can always come back counter clockwise and prob still end up with a smaller gap than there was.  although if you take more material off to go around again to tighten up the gap in another try the rail spacing will be off.  this will only matter if you plan to "bridge" the gap with a mount that uses at least 2 crossbolts though.
i did have a "pucker" moment filing down the selector stop on my kac lower so i could use a franklin armory bfs trigger pack in it.  it's funny how the "little" jobs make you pucker up

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
timing a urx isn't bad at all , you ALMOST can't f it up.  if you take a little to much material off you can always come back counter clockwise and prob still end up with a smaller gap than there was.  although if you take more material off to go around again to tighten up the gap in another try the rail spacing will be off.  this will only matter if you plan to "bridge" the gap with a mount that uses at least 2 crossbolts though.

i did have a "pucker" moment filing down the selector stop on my kac lower so i could use a franklin armory bfs trigger pack in it.  it's funny how the "little" jobs make you pucker up

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to take a look at mine when I get home... You might be getting an IM tonight
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I received my SLR Ion lite 10.75 today.
All I can say is , I picked up a BCM KMR today also and they feel very similar for anyone on the fence about them. I think that the SLR looks better than the KMR and I really like the mounting system.

The only real complaint that I have, is that the nuts that are used for mounting are a little sharp on the edges and while they obviously aren't going to cut you or anything, it can be uncomfortable if you grab it a certain way.

Other than that I think its perfect.

Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:45:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you get lucky like with one upper I assembled for a friend on a spikes receiver. Timed perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All I can say is , I picked up a BCM KMR today also and they feel very similar for anyone on the fence about them. I think that the SLR looks better than the KMR and I really like the mounting system.

The only real complaint that I have, is that the nuts that are used for mounting are a little sharp on the edges and while they obviously aren't going to cut you or anything, it can be uncomfortable if you grab it a certain way.

Highly recommended.
View Quote

I'm just waiting on SLR to make the rail I'm waiting on, so this is very good to hear. I like the kmr's but wanted to them and something different. Really looking forward to getting my 11" ion ultra now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm just waiting on SLR to make the rail I'm waiting on, so this is very good to hear. I like the kmr's but wanted to them and something different. Really looking forward to getting my 11" ion ultra now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highly recommended.

You guys are going to like them.  Todd at SLR is a class act. I dropped in one day and he gave me a tour of the shop and was extremely accommodating.  Excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I just ran in to and solved my problem by purchasing a SLR Rifle Works ION Lite M-LOK 6.7" I am building an AR 9MM with a 7.5" barrel. Any of SLR's rails that are X.7" long are specifically made for barrels that are X.5" inches long. It should be in my possession in 2-3 days.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top