Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like they just screwed up the finish on the receiver. If thats the case just go over it with alumiblack and it'll look like new. If it is jacked up, I live close to THSF and they done an excellent job on my lower.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good example of why its best to engrave before submitting paperwork.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey everyone, Florida Laser Engravers did this. DO NOT take anything there...

What do you think? Legal? Fixable? How royally screwed am I?

http://s21.postimg.org/wauu2tphz/SBRDestroyed.png
http://postimg.org/image/qmojbxl5f/

Thanks for your terrible news ahead of time...
View Quote

thats the anodizing finish flaking off the receiver, isn't it??  I'd cover it with aluminum black and just keep going..
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd hit it with Aluma-Black and call it a day.  If you want to go the Ceracote route I can recommend TGI in Melbourne.   I haven't been able to find anyone in Brevard to do engraving and use either Charles Smyder (CS223 here on ARFCOM) or send it out of state to IDENT or THSF.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Fricken Double Tap.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry about the shoddy work OP, I'd be pissed. This is why I engrave before sending in the Form 1.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, why send it out to FL? There's some good engravers closer to you.
Whoever did that needs to be ashamed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like complete shit
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe the OP is in FL at least the engraver he used and the Trust are.  :)  
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah I see. Makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are there any engravers / nfa lawyers on here which can comment on the fix-ability of this as well as the legality of now converting to a SBR?
View Quote

The simplest and cheapest fix is to re-engrave somewhere else on receiver.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#12]
JB weld, fill it, sand it, cerakote it and have it engraved somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I bet THSF can "fix" it. They'd use a laser to remove a rectangle including the letters, then you'd have a recessed area for the new engraving.

How deep are the letters?

...or, just leave it as is and you'll always have a story to tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
know any real professionals who can refinish and redo this? what kind of cost am i looking at?

I bet THSF can "fix" it. They'd use a laser to remove a rectangle including the letters, then you'd have a recessed area for the new engraving.

How deep are the letters?

...or, just leave it as is and you'll always have a story to tell.

I may be wrong and this may not be what bigwaylon is talking about but you may be able to make a recessed square similar to the way some lowers are (like the 2A lowers) and just redo it inside and it may look natural.

It looks pretty deep though. In my opinion it isn't as bad as people are saying is there is a way to get rid of the white (its pretty bad... but still legible/legal in my opinion only obviously)

I've reached the point where I could care less about pretty.. Ya I want a nice gun, but I am not in it for the showpiece anymore, its about perfecting functionality not appearance

ETA: Like RenegadeX said, proper engraving is BARELY noticeable, if you're questioning legalities just get it done at THSF. The minimum depth/size are way smaller than you would think

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#14]
1) Someone mentioned it was wise to get the engraving done before filing the form, "just in case anything goes wrong", so that is what I did.

2) I got mine laser engraved. The BATFE specifies the size and depth of the letters, but not the width of the line. It's barely noticeable.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#15]
How thin is the wall on a receiver from manufacturing originally? Then you want to remove some more material from that wall thickness, and re-engrave on that even thinner wall? Sounds like you are asking to make a very weak point on your registered lower. I would not go that route.

Blacken it up and see how it looks. If it looks bad, get it engraved somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks a lot like some lowers we once had test engraved (as a favor) by a small company. They used a CNC machine. Results were craptastic. Fuzzy chipping all around the lettering.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone with a CNC milling machine can do a clean job. I feel for you. Personally, I'd make the so-called engraver buy me another lower and pay for another stamp.

Here are a few that were done in my friend's garage on a Tormach CNC milling machine. He's done several for me and they all came out absolutely perfect.

I've spoken with the ATF agent who was involved in designing the tool they had built to measure engraving depth. I decided to play it safe and went an extra .002" deeper than required. The engraving still looks great.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FWIW...they don't specify size, except for serial number. So, unless you're doing something like a Form 1 suppressor or an 80% lower, where you have to assign an SN, there's no minimum size in the regulations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The BATFE specifies the size and depth of the letters, but not the width of the line. It's barely noticeable.

FWIW...they don't specify size, except for serial number. So, unless you're doing something like a Form 1 suppressor or an 80% lower, where you have to assign an SN, there's no minimum size in the regulations.

What's the min size for a serial number?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The BATFE specifies the size and depth of the letters, but not the width of the line. It's barely noticeable.

3 thou I believe
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/16" letters to a depth of .003"
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep.

Everything has the .003" minimum depth, but only the SN has the 1/16" height. The SN is limited to frame or receiver, while the other info can also be on barrel or pistol slide (if applicable).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/16" letters to a depth of .003"

Yep.

Everything has the .003" minimum depth, but only the SN has the 1/16" height. The SN is limited to frame or receiver, while the other info can also be on barrel or pistol slide (if applicable).

For some reason I thought it was 3/16ths.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One of the sources: 27 CFR 479.102
View Quote

Yeah I had found it already, but for some reason I thought it was 3/16ths for the serial number though. I wonder what the rule was before '02? I can't read the bigger letters so 1/16 is going to be damn near invisible.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd be mad if I paid someone to do work for me and they did substandard work or ruined my property in the process.

With that said, is there a secondary market for Form 1 SBR lowers built by Joe Bob's Trust in Grand Prairie, ID that would make the firearm worth more if it were professionally engraved vs hand engraved?  I can't imagine myself buying someone else's home built SBR when I can just make my own.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I can see the OP's point...  After spending money AND time, you want what you want AND half-@ssing it, isn't going to cut it...  I get it since I don't care for anything that has that phucked-up "Billy-Bob" look to it myself.

If they promised steak AND you paid a steak "price," but instead, all you got was a bag of beef flavored ramen noodles... BE pissed!!  I would be pissed too!!

The engraving doesn't look too deep and should be an easy fix by several methods.  I would see if a refinisher can use a "filler" like the one offered by duracoat THEN refinish it with a a Cerakote product.

Since this is an older posting, whatever happened AND are you now happy??  

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I am glad I sent mine to http://www.graylaser.com/ in San Antonio to do mine!

I sent it out on Priority Mail and 3 days later it was back in my possession and the work is top notch.

I hope you got it Cerakoted and fixed to your standards.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good example of why its best to engrave before submitting paperwork.

X2.

Sent mine off before the paperwork.  I can eat the cost of a lower if I am not tied to it by a $200 stamp and 8 month wait.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I learned the hard way. Dremeled my first 2 lowers and lived with it for a few years. All mine after that were professionally done by THSF and the dremeled lowers really started to bother me. I finally nutted up sent them to THSF to be lasered off. Then I had them cerakoted to a parkerized/anodized color. Expensive lesson but I'm now happy.

Receiver redemption.

And this meme made me LOL the other day.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks a lot like some lowers we once had test engraved (as a favor) by a small company. They used a CNC machine. Results were craptastic. Fuzzy chipping all around the lettering.
View Quote

CNC can look great. I just did this with a Micro100 carbide engraving tool, it came out really clean.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:10:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I couldn't see any of the pics at first. From the comments I expected far worse that what it is. It's certainly legible and looks more than deep enough

I wouldn't be thrilled but at most I'd hit it with alumahyde and move on

It's a suppressed 300 blackout, that area will be covered with black residue and sludge in no time

Eta: looks like I fell victim to a necropost
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

CNC can look great. I just did this with a Micro100 carbide engraving tool, it came out really clean.
View Quote

You obviously employed some skill and care to the job.  Neither were used in our test run.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#34]
This is what happens when someone uses a 60 deg center-drill at like 3500 rpm instead of a using a proper engraving tool at high spindle speeds. The anodizing "chips" off surrounding the engraving and you do not get a clean cut. We do a bunch of quick engraving at work on retrofitted CNC knee mills since it's easy to setup and our parts are not that picky. We have seen this happen before with hardcoat anodized parts versus standard Type II.

Make sure whoever is engraving your parts uses the correct tool and has a spindle fast enough to cut well.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Think roughly $75-$100 to have it cerokoted
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
know any real professionals who can refinish and redo this? what kind of cost am i looking at?

Think roughly $75-$100 to have it cerokoted

This. Cerakote will at least give it a level of uniform appearance.  If it still bugs you,  just make it your truck gun that you don't care about other than a tool. You went even notice it after awhile.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top