Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2016 8:47:20 PM EDT
Any advice, thinking about a 10.5 to 12.5 in upper. Will get a suppressor for it eventually. So an advice is more than welcome..

I also currently have a SWR warlock 22 can, and am thinking about doing a SBR on a ruger 10/22. Has anyone ever did a SBR on a 10/22 and if so what barrel length, I am thinking 8in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Consider 4-5 inches. Bulk pack ammo will stay subsonic from a 4.5 but a 8 won't.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Consider 4-5 inches. Bulk pack ammo will stay subsonic from a 4.5 but a 8 won't.
View Quote

This

My advice is to SBR 2-3 AR lowers to start
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#3]
...what kind of advice are you looking for, exactly? How to fill out the forms? How to comply with the law? Parts recommendations?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...what kind of advice are you looking for, exactly? How to fill out the forms? How to comply with the law? Parts recommendations?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Ya that was pretty vague, sorry about that.  Just looking for advice on uppers mainly.  I don't think I have any on the forms the threads on those are great so I don't think I will have any problems there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#5]
My advice is to do it ASAP. Get the form 1's going, sooner you send the, sooner they will be back.

Ruger 10/22's are a lot of fun SBR'd. Mines 4.5 inches to keep bulk pack subsonic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My advice is to do it ASAP. Get the form 1's going, sooner you send the, sooner they will be back.

Ruger 10/22's are a lot of fun SBR'd. Mines 4.5 inches to keep bulk pack subsonic.
View Quote

I get prints and pics next week, waiting for the form 1's to come in, I am filing individual no trust
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Shorty ARs are fun, but LOUD!  5.56 out of a short barrel is concussive. My advice is to wear plugs & muffs until you get the suppressor.

The only reason I'm a fan of short rifles is so they are more manageable with a 6-8" suppressor hanging off the end!  All my SBRs are suppressed.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 10.5" and a 12.5" AR.  I really like both, but I would say the 10.5" is more fun...  I view a 12" AR as a perfect all around AR.  I have a 1-4 scope on mine.  I also have a dedicated 7.5" .22lr upper.  As said above, bulk pack 22 will be supersonic and will not be quiet with a suppressor.  However, mine will cycle subsonics and CCI Standard velocity ammo.  It is really fun to shoot, and very quiet even for a semi auto.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#9]
SBR 1 or 2 AR lowers.

First build should be 10.5" 5.56, lightweight barrel.  Perfect suppressor host, anything longer/heavier is just not fun IMO.  Maybe even save a few ounces on your mount (direct thread).
12.5", I'm sure its good all around, but I would go ahead and get a 16" 5.56 as second upper so you can take your gun across state lines w/o paperwork in title 1 form.

For your 22lr.  Get yourself a 22lr dedicated upper so you dont have to SBR the 10/22.  The advantage is you can play with barrel lengths for your 22lr as well.  You'll find advantages and disadvantages to all lengths of 22lr:

4.5" = dedicated 22lr suppressor host, endless fun, too bad you'll go through so many roundsyou'll be cleaning the can every other range trip.  Keeps bulk pack subsonic but requires super short handguards, or a short 7" handguard with always-on suppressor underneath handguard

7" = same as 4.5", but doesnt require a can for a 7" handguard, may not keep bulk pack subsonic though so not as quiet or you'll need to pay more for subsonic 22lr.

10.5" = looks and handles just like your 10.5" .223.  Normal length handguards

16" = good for interstate, "normal" ballistics, add a scope and it does everything your 10/22 can do.  In fact, after your first few outings with a good-functioning 22lr AR, you'll ditch the 10/22 as redundant.

Then of course you'll want your 9mm, .300blk (you can conceivably do all of these with 2 lowers, conveniently.  Maybe keep a 3rd pistol lower.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
SBR 1 or 2 AR lowers.

First build should be 10.5" 5.56, lightweight barrel.  Perfect suppressor host, anything longer/heavier is just not fun IMO.  Maybe even save a few ounces on your mount (direct thread).
12.5", I'm sure its good all around, but I would go ahead and get a 16" 5.56 as second upper so you can take your gun across state lines w/o paperwork in title 1 form.

For your 22lr.  Get yourself a 22lr dedicated upper so you dont have to SBR the 10/22.  The advantage is you can play with barrel lengths for your 22lr as well.  You'll find advantages and disadvantages to all lengths of 22lr:

4.5" = dedicated 22lr suppressor host, endless fun, too bad you'll go through so many roundsyou'll be cleaning the can every other range trip.  Keeps bulk pack subsonic but requires super short handguards, or a short 7" handguard with always-on suppressor underneath handguard

7" = same as 4.5", but doesnt require a can for a 7" handguard, may not keep bulk pack subsonic though so not as quiet or you'll need to pay more for subsonic 22lr.

10.5" = looks and handles just like your 10.5" .223.  Normal length handguards

16" = good for interstate, "normal" ballistics, add a scope and it does everything your 10/22 can do.  In fact, after your first few outings with a good-functioning 22lr AR, you'll ditch the 10/22 as redundant.

Then of course you'll want your 9mm, .300blk (you can conceivably do all of these with 2 lowers, conveniently.  Maybe keep a 3rd pistol lower.
View Quote

Almost right. A 11.5" 22 is about the same as a 10.3 223. The bolt sets farther back on a 22 upper. You'll need to add 1.25-1.5 inches to the 22 barrel to make it equal to a 5.56 for training purposes. My 16 inch CMMG 22 upper is almost exactly the same length as my pinned 14.7 PSA upper.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#11]
My advice is to put an SLR or Syrac adjustable gas block on any AR you SBR you intend to shoot suppressed.

JPK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top