Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2016 11:39:58 PM EDT
Hello All,

My AR-15 7.5 pistol was approved for SBR few months ago in 556 cal. Since I own five 556 cal AR-15 rifles, I would like to convert one them to 300 blackout with 10.5" barrel.

Can I legally own another short barrel (10.5") AR-15 upper in 300 blackout cal to use with my approved SBR lower?

Thanks,

Cal

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello All,

My AR-15 7.5 pistol was approved few month ago in 556 cal. Since I own five 556 cal AR-15 rifles, I would like to convert one them to 300 blackout with 10.5" barrel.
Can I legally own another short barrel (10.5") AR-15 upper in 300 blackout cal?

Thanks,
Cal
View Quote

Your pistol was approved? Do you mean your SBR was approved?

You can own all the additional short uppers you want, but they have to be for the stamped lower. You can't convert one of the other lowers to have a 10.5" upper unless you get that lower stamped first.

I think you're on the right track, and hopefully it's just the way you worded that question that is throwing me off.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello All,

My AR-15 7.5 pistol was approved few month ago in 556 cal. Since I own five 556 cal AR-15 rifles, I would like to convert one them to 300 blackout with 10.5" barrel.
Can I legally own another short barrel (10.5") AR-15 upper in 300 blackout cal?

Thanks,
Cal
View Quote

Yes, you can...assuming you have the potential for a legal configuration and don't put an SBR upper on a regular lower, unless that lower is a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
This always confuses me
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a registered SBR lower, you can have an infinite number of uppers for it. This question must be answered at least once per day in the 'armory' subforums. Presuming your state doesn't have some BS law that prevents it, you're good to go. Just never attach any of your sub-16" uppers on any of your other lowers (unless they are pistol lowers).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This always confuses me
View Quote

This is an easy one. If you have a legally configured lower (pistol or registered SBR), there is no limit to the number of uppers you can have for that lower.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is an easy one. If you have a legally configured lower (pistol or registered SBR), there is no limit to the number of uppers you can have for that lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This always confuses me

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
"With what you have (your SBR), you can have as many of those (uppers) as you want."  

It's important to note that the configuration on the Form 1 does not limit anything about other uses of an SBR AR lower.  Any caliber, and any barrel length are completely legal.  I have several different uppers in different calibers for my SBRs.  It's also much cheaper than "marrying" a single upper to a particular SBR lower...  That should go without saying.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
what about vertical fore-grips on extra uppers in safe? Does this change anything? Pardon my ignorance
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

what about vertical fore-grips on extra uppers in safe? Does this change anything? Pardon my ignorance
View Quote

Perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]
As was mentioned earlier, as long as there's a legal application for it, anything in your safe is perfectly legal.  

Some people like to have an "extra" pistol lower sitting around for "insurance purposes," since you can put any length upper on a pistol lower.  BUT, an upper with a vertical grip would be an Any Other Weapon if you put it on that pistol lower, so that tactic isn't particularly useful sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As was mentioned earlier, as long as there's a legal application for it, anything in your safe is perfectly legal.  

Some people like to have an "extra" pistol lower sitting around for "insurance purposes," since you can put any length upper on a pistol lower.  BUT, an upper with a vertical grip would be an Any Other Weapon if you put it on that pistol lower, so that tactic isn't particularly useful sometimes.
View Quote

Thanks for the response. I am overthinking this.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
What you don't want is to have a rifle lower (i.e. non-pistol or SBR registered), without a rifle length upper to go along with it.

Such as, you don't want 1 complete rifle AR, 1 rifle lower only, a SBR lower, and 2 shorty uppers.  There's not a way to configure the rifle lower only, in a legal manner, as you don't have a rifle length upper for that one.

It's not that defenable a postion to say the rifle lower only is a spare for your complete rifle AR, and that you're not putting one of the two shorty uppers on it.

What's the chances of this ever happening?  Very low, until it does.  LIke you're being investigated or seached for something else, the cops find this, and it's an easy case for them instead of whatever else they were looking for.

So, for AR rifle lowers, have a 16+ inch barrel upper for each of them, to say that's what is being used on those rifle lowers.  Then if you have a pistol or SBR lower, you can buy as many shorty uppers as you want.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What you don't want is to have a rifle lower (i.e. non-pistol or SBR registered), without a rifle length upper to go along with it.

Such as, you don't want 1 complete rifle AR, 1 rifle lower only, a SBR lower, and 2 shorty uppers.  There's not a way to configure the rifle lower only, in a legal manner, as you don't have a rifle length upper for that one.

It's not that defenable a postion to say the rifle lower only is a spare for your complete rifle AR, and that you're not putting one of the two shorty uppers on it.

What's the chances of this ever happening?  Very low, until it does.  LIke you're being investigated or seached for something else, the cops find this, and it's an easy case for them instead of whatever else they were looking for.

So, for AR rifle lowers, have a 16+ inch barrel upper for each of them, to say that's what is being used on those rifle lowers.  Then if you have a pistol or SBR lower, you can buy as many shorty uppers as you want.
View Quote

They're gonna have a hell of a time getting you with constructive possession in the situation you're describing, unless you can provide cases where this has happened of course.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I do have multiple complete rifle lowers sitting in safe. (I am waiting for good deals on uppers). I am not an attorney, but I think it would be a bad idea to have an SBR, multiple short uppers not attached to a lower and a bunch of complete rifle lowers in the safe. Until I have all of the completed rifle lowers outfitted with uppers, I am going to have all the short uppers on pistol or SBR'd lowers. Better safe than sorry
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They're gonna have a hell of a time getting you with constructive possession in the situation you're describing, unless you can provide cases where this has happened of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually they would pop two pins out and have an assembled, illegal SBR, which you would have to defend as to why that's not illegal.

You're then left with the struggle of explaiing what you do with the rifle lower than has no matching rifle upper.  Say it's a spare lower for your other rifle upper?  Maybe, do you want to risk 12 chumps on the jury believing that, or that you use your rifle lower with one of the free floating around shorty upper?

Now if every rifle lower has a matching rifle upper, it's plan as day what those are for, then you can easily explain what the extra shorty uppers are for - your SBR lower, that costs $200 bucks to make so you only have one of those instead of one for each shorty upper.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I do have multiple complete rifle lowers sitting in safe. (I am waiting for good deals on uppers). I am not an attorney, but I think it would be a bad idea to have an SBR, multiple short uppers not attached to a lower and a bunch of complete rifle lowers in the safe. Until I have all of the completed rifle lowers outfitted with uppers, I am going to have all the short uppers on pistol or SBR'd lowers. Better safe than sorry
View Quote

I simply wouldnt worry. You have a registered lower.  Dont assemble illegal rifles and dont ask stupid questions on the internet.  The atf doesnt do random checks of peoples safes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I simply wouldnt worry. You have a registered lower.  Dont assemble illegal rifles and dont ask stupid questions on the internet.  The atf doesnt do random checks of peoples safes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't call it a stupid question, but thank you for your input
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent...
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#19]
All of this doesn't matter anymore, I had a horrible boating accident and lost all my firearms, ammo, and accessories this morning
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

All of this doesn't matter anymore, I had a horrible boating accident and lost all my firearms, ammo, and accessories this morning
View Quote
OMG you too?

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"With what you have (your SBR), you can have as many of those (uppers) as you want."  

It's important to note that the configuration on the Form 1 does not limit anything about other uses of an SBR AR lower.  Any caliber, and any barrel length are completely legal.  I have several different uppers in different calibers for my SBRs.  It's also much cheaper than "marrying" a single upper to a particular SBR lower...  That should go without saying.
View Quote

This is COMPLETELY untrue. If you get caught with a 7.5" upper on a lower that was registered for a 10.5" barrel, your ass is grass. You can have another 10.5" or longer, but not a shorter upper. The Form 1 not only limits the barrel length, but also the overall length of the weapon you register.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This is COMPLETELY untrue. If you get caught with a 7.5" upper on a lower that was registered for a 10.5" barrel, your ass is grass. You can have another 10.5" or longer, but not a shorter upper. The Form 1 not only limits the barrel length, but also the overall length of the weapon you register.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have been misinformed.

ETA:

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Actually they would pop two pins out and have an assembled, illegal SBR, which you would have to defend as to why that's not illegal.

You're then left with the struggle of explaiing what you do with the rifle lower than has no matching rifle upper.  Say it's a spare lower for your other rifle upper?  Maybe, do you want to risk 12 chumps on the jury believing that, or that you use your rifle lower with one of the free floating around shorty upper?

Now if every rifle lower has a matching rifle upper, it's plan as day what those are for, then you can easily explain what the extra shorty uppers are for - your SBR lower, that costs $200 bucks to make so you only have one of those instead of one for each shorty upper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They could just as easily take a short upper off a registered lower and put it on a standard lower, OR they could take a 16"+ upper off of a rifle and install a short upper on a regular receiver to do the exact same thing if they're trying to get you on something. Of course, it would then be them that is violating the NFA, not you. A competent lawyer would make this a non issue and possibly make the F-troop boys pucker a bit in front of that jury.

Personally, I don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have to agree, there is only one classification of an sbr and that is having a barrel less than 16". If your form 1 says 10.5" barrel it doesn't mean you can't run a 7.5" barrel on it. I have all my rifle calibers registered as 7.5" just in case I want to have one that short, even though the shortest I have is 8". The atf wants you to notify them of any permanent changes to an sbr, but that's hard to do when nothing is permanent when you just have to pull two pins to make a change.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would have to agree, there is only one classification of an sbr and that is having a barrel less than 16". If your form 1 says 10.5" barrel it doesn't mean you can't run a 7.5" barrel on it. I have all my rifle calibers registered as 7.5" just in case I want to have one that short, even though the shortest I have is 8". The atf wants you to notify them of any permanent changes to an sbr, but that's hard to do when nothing is permanent when you just have to pull two pins to make a change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already have an NFA binder...think I'll add the letter to it for range trips.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#27]
It is "recommended" that you notify them of any permanent change. It's not a requirement. There is no point in sending a letter for temporary changes.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n33/blocksender/nfadeterminationletter.jpg

I see nothing in that letter giving permission to use a shorter barrel than the lower is registered for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I see nothing in that letter giving permission to use a shorter barrel than the lower is registered for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Can't you read?  

"Temporarily installing other barrel lenghts or calibers on your rifle would not constitute a violation"

What part of that is other than crystal clear?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

Can you provide a law or official ruling that states your position that shorter barrels are not permitted?

The letter I posted states "Temporarily installing other barrel lengths...would not constitute a violation."  There is no stated limitation on going shorter or longer or otherwise.  "other barrel lengths" means, in plain English, any length other than what is on the form.

If you have anything official that states otherwise, I'd love to see it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

ANY length barrel can be used on a registered SBR.  The initial configuration is just that: the initial setup.  The Form 1 requires some specific caliber and some specific barrel length.  That's all.  Once a lower has its stamp, it is an SBR whenever it wears an upper with a barrel of less than 16" in length, and it's legal.  Period.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Good God, what a shitshow....just please, no one write the ATF for further clarification. The JBT-o-meter hasn't been breaking our way lately.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Meh, they're extremely unlikely to reverse their stance on this particular topic. It just might take away from some form processing time. Or JBT time?? Idk.

Anyone considering if this might be unlawful should just not register any additional NFA items. They may not have given you express permission in a law somewhere. It could be risky.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Meh, they're extremely unlikely to reverse their stance on this particular topic. It just might take away from some form processing time. Or JBT time?? Idk.

Anyone considering if this might be unlawful should just not register any additional NFA items. They may not have given you express permission in a law somewhere. It could be risky.

View Quote

<Like>

(That's the ARF like button)
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Can you provide a law or official ruling that states your position that shorter barrels are not permitted?

The letter I posted states "Temporarily installing other barrel lengths...would not constitute a violation."  There is no stated limitation on going shorter or longer or otherwise.  "other barrel lengths" means, in plain English, any length other than what is on the form.

Can you, IN PLAIN ENGLISH, provide a law or official ruling that states your position that shorter barrels ARE permitted?

Where I come from, in plain English of course, OTHER barrel length doesn't hold the same significance as ANY barrel length.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Can you, IN PLAIN ENGLISH, provide a law or official ruling that states your position that shorter barrels ARE permitted?

I give up
View Quote

D_Man posted the ATF letter on page 1 of this thread...it's the official ATF stance on the exact argument you have, and it states the exact opposite of your position.

This reminds me of arguing with my communist sister on Facebook.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

D_Man posted the ATF letter on page 1 of this thread...it's the official ATF stance on the exact argument you have, and it states the exact opposite of your position.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I give up

Apparently you are both fuck ups
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I give up

You're not going to have your ARF account long with that attitude. As for me, you're going on ignore. You clearly have nothing to add...
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Where I come from, in plain English of course, OTHER barrel length doesn't hold the same significance as ANY barrel length.
View Quote

So you have no proof to back your claim?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure he doesn't because it doesn't exist to my knowledge, but I find this thread much more pleasant while he's on ignore so I won't be able to find out.

I'd better hide my dogs for when the ATF comes around with a ruler though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#42]
See above
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top