Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2016 10:15:15 PM EDT
For those of you who have ventured into a 308 sbr, what has been the best shooting ammo for your build?

I have built a rainier arms upper and lower with a rainier 12.5 ultramatch barrel 1/10 twist and matching rainier bolt and carrier. I am having poor luck finding a load it likes.
It shoots surplus well, 1.5 - 2 inch groups at 100 yds, but not so good with match ammo. I've tried lake city otm, hornady 168 gr match, federal gold medal match 175 grain  (not the 168 grain yet)

more info - slr adjustable gas block, wilson combat handguard, silencerco saker flash hider (Shot it with and without the saker - no big change in groups), cmc flat bow single stage trigger, slash car buffer and spring, ubr stock, ior valdada 1-10 scope with aadland mount.

Pretty sure the bulk of the problem is my shooting skills, but i can shoot other rifles better than this one....

Only pic I have right now, too lazy to take another - its the top one....

[/URL]" />
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Two different loads actually. The11" OSW FAL loves the 130 grain range, the AR10 loves 190 sierras. The AR10 isn't a sbr though. 16 in. It shoots the 178,175 pretty good, but the 190's will shoot the same 2500 fps. Might as well shoot the biggest thing it can out of it. The 190 lets it go to 1000 even at that low speed. Put the 130 grain load in it and it goes from sub MOA to 3 MOA. With 135 sierras it's even worse.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had good luck with Barns 150g ttsx and the 150g Fedetal fusion MSR loafs,  the ttsx will shoot just under an inch with the fusion just over.  Was shot out of a 16" gun though.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the replies so far. I'm still hoping to hear from someone with a similar build to mine.

At any rate, heading to the range tomorrow to try a few new loads. got some hornady 155 gr amax, federal premium 165 gr sierra gameking, and 150 gr nosler partition.

We'll see. I also took the upper apart and confirmed the torque on the barrel nut was at 60 ft lbs. I'm also going to try a different scope on the rifle though I doubt thats the problem
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]

In case anyone was interested in the outcome of my story.

I changed the scope, pulled one off a different rifle that groups well. I also bought a caldwell lead sled with a nice 50 lb or so weight to hold it steady. Went to the range and shot 10 five shot groups with 10 different types of .308 ammo. I tried to allow the rest to do all the work, meaning I touched the rifle as little as possible when pulling the trigger. I realize that this changes poi, but as long as I'm consistent shot to shot I dont care about accuracy at this point, I want precision...

I tried hornady match in 2 bullet weights, federal gmm in two bullet weights, Silver state armory match, Lake city otm, aussie surplus, Sellier and Bellot surplus, federal fusion, prvi partizan match, winchester ballistic silvertip150 gr. I also used a timer. No less than 60 seconds between shots. I could post pics but why?

Still no groups better than 2 inches.

SO, I called Rainier Arms to talk. My intention was to get their advice on how to proceed. I asked them which ammo they've used. We talked about sending them my upper so they could shoot and or inspect it.

After describing my build and what I had done at the range, the Rainier customer service person offered to just replace my barrel and bolt even though it had been nearly 9 months since I had purchased it. As I have said, it was never my intent to ask for a new barrel. I'm still thinking its me. Either poor shooting skills or poor build skills.

Regardless, I have a new barrel and bolt combo en route. I'll get it put together and see what happens.

Big Big kudos to Rainier Arms for customer service over and above what is expected or even necessary. Works out well for me that I have a big pile of match ammo to work with. I've loved their gear and customer service for a long time. Even more so now.

I'll post some info and pics when I shoot the new build

Hoping its the barrel and not me, but not too optimistic....

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#5]
In on this thread, I have a SBR'ed 308 that should be approved by next week hopefully.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In on this thread, I have a SBR'ed 308 that should be approved by next week hopefully.
View Quote

Curious what your pending date is
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4/4, I see March 31st approvals already.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#8]
new rainier barrel recieved and installed. Range report forthcoming...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top