Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/19/2016 9:33:58 AM EDT
I am debating if I should follow your footsteps to see how deep this rabbit hole is. :-) I am stuck between a hard place of getting a decent MP5 clone and a rock, a Daniel Defense M4. Given I am already married to a Colt AR-15, a shiner new wife would probably create more tension than more joy.

A MP5 clone, on the other hand, would feel like seducing my boss' daughter, difficult (all the legal hoops), treacherous (ridiculous NFA rules) and yet exciting.

So why did you do it? Is it worth it? Is a pistol caliber carbine worth to get?

By the way, my girl just told me that she never heard of that shorter is better.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The cool factor of the MP5 is off the charts. Chicks dig cool guns............but I have 3 SBR 12'' AR's and I'm quite happy with them.

I would like a sub gun SBR, and I'm waiting on the LWRC SMG 45 cal sub gun.
They told me at the NRAAM in Louisville it will come to market as a civilian legal semi-auto, and they were hoping for a late 4th quarter release.

SMG 45 Link

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The cool factor of the MP5 is off the charts. Chicks dig cool guns............but I have 3 SBR 12'' AR's and I'm quite happy with them.

I would like a sub gun SBR, and I'm waiting on the LWRC SMG 45 cal sub gun.
They told me at the NRAAM in Louisville it will come to market as a civilian legal semi-auto, and they were hoping for a late 4th quarter release.

SMG 45 Link

View Quote

Personally, I have never met a girl who even knows what a MP5 is. I think it's a homoerotic thing but it's OK with me. LOL
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
This damn website...9 stamps later and 10 grand lighter here I am
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#4]
300 Blackout has no business being shot from a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Always wanted them, but they were banned in my state for nearly all of my adult life. WA finally lifted the ban in 2014. Once the ATF of done fiddling around I'll have about 10 of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a wormhole alright.

SBR's lead to suppressors which lead to machine guns.

Choose wisely it gets expensive very quickly.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
After SBRing my HK94 and AR I rarely use the 16" ARs anymore. It's totally work the time and trouble. But it will lead to more SBRs and cans to go with them. If you can try out someone else's SBR and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#8]
It starts with suppressors, .22LR cans being the NFA gateway drug, then on to SBRs and eventually MGs.
You will always want "one more thing" and always be broke.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I did a Zenith Z5P and Z5RS. CZ Scorpiom, (2) 300BO, (1) 556, and (1) 762x39 lowers and 2 SBSs this year. Do it!
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Because MP5 "pistols" suck, even if you cobble some type of Sig Brace onto them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Because pistol form guns don't look "right"
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It starts with suppressors, .22LR cans being the NFA gateway drug, then on to SBRs and eventually MGs.
You will always want "one more thing" and always be broke.
View Quote

I went SBR first, followed but three cans
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am debating if I should follow your footsteps to see how deep this rabbit hole is. :-) I am stuck between a hard place of getting a decent MP5 clone and a rock, a Daniel Defense M4. Given I am already married to a Colt AR-15, a shiner new wife would probably create more tension than more joy.

A MP5 clone, on the other hand, would feel like seducing my boss' daughter, difficult (all the legal hoops), treacherous (ridiculous NFA rules) and yet exciting.

View Quote

It's just $200 and a little bit of paperwork...you're overthinking this.

SBRs are the way most guns are meant to be without our stupid fucking laws.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you SBR your guns, you're actually doing them a favor, by letting them live how God intended. So just think of that when you're filling out forms and getting printed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I wanted some SBRs for a long time but 41F made me get off my butt and do it. Just waiting now for approval on  my first 2.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wanted some SBRs for a long time but 41F made me get off my butt and do it. Just waiting now for approval on  my first 2.
View Quote

Care to elaborate why you want it a little?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Some anti-gun libtards said I shouldn't be allowed to exercise my freedom and own scary black babykilling assault magclipazine suppressed carbine rifles.

So I did. Just to piss them off.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#18]
SBR'S are addicting. Started with a 607, then an MP5 Clone. Next up a Draco and finally another 10.5 modern go to AR. You've been warned.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I fell in love with the MK18.  I had a lawyer do a trust and it was so damn easy.  I fell in love with my brothers 7.5" 5.56 SBR and decided to justify that SBR with a 300blkout upper as well 9mo later.  

Then I got a 5.56 suppressor to go with the 1st SBR (10.3" poor mans MK18 clone).  Then bought a .30cal for the 300blkout and then built a next and built a 18" .308.

So the SBR was a gateway to Suppressors and the 1 suppressor was a gateway to a .308.  I then built a pinned and welded 16" .308 as well.  Almost SBR'd that one, but wanted to be able to travel with that .308 at the drop of a hat without worrying about filing out the paperwork.

I am a bit all over the place.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Because I could and can, that's why.

I actually wanted a really short rifle to use for home defense and as a car buddy on long trips. Easy to use and maneuvering with while make egress from cars and doorways way too simple.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#21]
My daughter... We did a father/daughter build (2 actually, matching) when it came time for uppers I asked her to look at pictures and see what she liked. Well she stumbled upon pictures of mk18's and said she wanted it like that. I tried to put it off as I have heard how stamp collecting is worse than BRD. I finally gave in and submitted the paper work. 5 stamps later I want a suppressor or 2 or maybe 4. Best decision ever though. I have a standard DD mk18 upper and hers is a 10.3 barrel with a larue rail.

ETA: plus it makes liberals cry more than a 16 inch rifle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#22]
1. Trying to clear a 60yo school with a 16" carbine during Active Shooter training.

2. I fired my first Mk18.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#23]
For me it started with an AR pistol. That led quickly to an SBR lower, then a second SBR lower. That led to two suppressors. What's next...
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Because of Die Hard and a bunch of other action movies growing up. They helped fuel the fire for my interest in guns in the first place and all of them are military type firearms, like SBRs, MGs, etc.

Yes, worth it... but not for bullpups.

Yes, but only you plan to run suppressed and you can't afford .300 blackout. Otherwise, just get a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#25]
41F was actually a good thing for me since it forced me to finally get off my ass and into the NFA game.  I started with a couple of commercial Form 4 cans then submitted Form 1 applications for a SBR followed by four more cans.  Since then I have been collecting parts, bought a new gun safe, a pistol host and an old South Bend lathe which I am currently restoring.  Altogether I have spent about $10k on gun stuff this year and most of it was the result of 41F.  Better late than never I guess.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Go for it

4 AR lowers: 11.5", 12.5", 12.5" IDF retro, 8.5" 300blk. Next will be a 10.3" then a 4.5"
Scorpion Evo
M85 PAP
Wasr 63 12.5"
Rem 870 12"
Need to do my 10/22, 4.5"
MP5 is on my grail list. K and reverse stretch
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's a wormhole alright.

SBR's lead to suppressors which lead to machine guns.

Choose wisely it gets expensive very quickly.

View Quote

For me it was suppressors which lead to SBR's. Add a suppressor to a 16" AR and Dauuum that thing is long. Add a suppressor to a 10.5 rifle and it is about the same length as a 16" carbine.

JPK
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#28]
When MKE released their Z-5 series pistols at a reasonable price (and they were getting positive reviews), my long simmering desire for an MP5 proved overwhelming.  But I refused to get it and leave it as a pistol.  So, I finally got a trust and jumped into the NFA pool.

That was last year.  Since then I've submitted forms for a suppressor and another SBR.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I want a real stock and a vertical grip on my AR pistol. That's why I'll be doing it soon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spent almost $7000 this year on gun stuff already. I was going to get a PS90 and an AK pistol to convert, but I decided to focus on AR15s.

Also, I don't want to have too many rifles in the registry in case HRC get elected and they start looking to confiscate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#31]
For me, it was Obama. I sent off two Form 1's two Form 4's and applied for my ccw within a couple days of the 2008 election. I was the first person in my town to have Class III stuff. I had to sit down with the Chief to give him a history lesson and explain C3 laws.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I wanted to use a supressor but didn't want 36 inches of rifle barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Spent almost $7000 this year on gun stuff already. I was going to get a PS90 and an AK pistol to convert, but I decided to focus on AR15s.

Also, I don't want to have too many rifles in the registry in case HRC get elected and they start looking to confiscate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's time to bury them, it's time to use them. You're letting them win
That's all I'll say in the tech forum
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#34]
ARFcom picture threads and Gun Trusts are the Debil.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#35]
My AR pistol was stolen and recovered at a pawn shop but had been illegally modified as an SBR, so while waiting for the red tape to get it back, the ATF agent working my case suggested i send in my Form 1 and he'd see if maybe he could get it fast tracked and they could just give it back to me as it was recovered, in a week or two. That wasn't the case after he contacted the NFA branch, but he just had to remove the "offending part" so they literally just yanked the stock off and gave it back to me. Still waiting on my stamp though!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I started with an SBR AR

Then I wanted Uzi that didn't look stupid

Then "Gemtax" made me get a 9mm can

Found a deal on a 223 can

What the hell, I NEEDED that MAC and can

41f? Shit, time to get serious!

3 more AR lowers, Remington 870, MP5, Draco, Scorpion Evo, GSG5 PK and a 45 can

What the hell, my friend is willing to sell me his M16 for a steal!

Nah, you should be fine. It's not a gateway gun at all

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I wanted to please my Government overlord masters so I can shoot an KAC SBR. Once these MFers got my 200 bucks they granted me permission to exercise my RIGHTS.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#39]
All the videos back in the early 2000's of Obama Bin Laden in the cave, a Krink with a 40Rd bakelite hanging out of it.  

Stargate  P90 is awesome

Capt America winter soldier   Skorpion became cool

and of course

MadMax   that short sxs kicks ass

Then between the hive and cool Krout, Izzy, and commie shit I just kept goin
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#40]
For me it was MN legalizing suppressors for the serfs last year, under a D governor no less--That led to an Omega & a Warlock II immediately, consecutive serial Noveske Gen 2 lowers that were both filed into SBR's that are now a 10.5" 5.56 build and a 10.5" .300 BLK build (both all Noveske parts, just finished the .300 BLK).

Before 41F went into effect, I was able to swing 20 stamps in total I'm closing this trust out from adding new items, adding my wife and brother to it and am going to start a new trust for the new items I'll most likely want in the future under the new rules. For now though, I'm in the middle of so many suppressor and SBR builds that I'll be busy for at least the next year, possibly two depending on ATF wait times.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I wanted something on the AR platform so that I have that wide selection of options available, but I wanted to punch a bigger hole and I'm just not into the 5.56 round.  I wanted those AR platform options because I'm the kind of person that likes to be intimate with the tools I'm using so I really wanted to build my firearm myself.  I'm quite pleased.  I do want to get a different upper receiver, I saved a bit of money on that part, a different grip also and would like the trigger to not be so heavy, it is a CMMG lower parts kit, I'm hoping that break in will lighten it up a little bit otherwise I may have to shop around for a replacement.  Other than that, I'm happy with the looks and how it performs.

I also didn't really want a long barrel, I'm not into having to carry very heavy objects.  I'm also thinking about silencers.

I also don't ever expect to have to use it beyond my own doorway and a longer barrel isn't as maneuverable indoors.

I also can't really see well enough to target something beyond the range of a supersonic Blackout round.  I can see well enough, just not likely to be able to hit something beyond that range without a scope.  Looking down the street that runs perpendicular to my residence, that road is shorter than the effective range of a supersonic Blackout round(about 70 yards shorter) and that is about my personal effective range if I had to go that distance.

The AR pistol buffer tube also looks like a prolapsed rectum.  The first thing I thought of when building my lower after attaching the pistol buffer tube was a runt kitten we had when I was a kid.  She was born in our garage to a stray and had a prolapsed rectum.  We adopted mom and her kittens and named the runt Spooky and I named my AR pistol after her because of that thought.

I also think SBRs are sexy looking and it just doesn't look right at all without a shoulder stock.  I can't wait till I get my stamp.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For me it was MN legalizing suppressors for the serfs last year, under a D governor no less--That led to an Omega & a Warlock II immediately, consecutive serial Noveske Gen 2 lowers that were both filed into SBR's that are now a 10.5" 5.56 build and a 10.5" .300 BLK build (both all Noveske parts, just finished the .300 BLK).

Before 41F went into effect, I was able to swing 20 stamps in total I'm closing this trust out from adding new items, adding my wife and brother to it and am going to start a new trust for the new items I'll most likely want in the future under the new rules. For now though, I'm in the middle of so many suppressor and SBR builds that I'll be busy for at least the next year, possibly two depending on ATF wait times.
View Quote

Sweet shit that's a lot of stamps in one year. Hell, that's a lot of stamps.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks I only have about half in hand with the rest in jail still but hopefully everything will be approved by early 2017.--The NFA bug bit me HARD.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks I only have about half in hand with the rest in jail still but hopefully everything will be approved by early 2017.--The NFA bug bit me HARD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bug hit me really hard too. I did eleven form 4s and ten form 1s. 21 stamps since 4/27/16 when I set up my trust
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The bug hit me really hard too. I did eleven form 4s and ten form 1s. 21 stamps since 4/27/16 when I set up my trust
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeebus man, I spaced mine out over a year. You went hog wild from the gate

This shit gets super expensive, real quick.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I really wish I would have started earlier. It makes my stomach ache thinking about how much I spent in those 3 short months. I cannot wait to get these stamps back
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

<snip>

Yea, I really wish I would have started earlier. It makes my stomach ache thinking about how much I spent in those 3 short months. I cannot wait to get these stamps back
View Quote

It'll be worth it when the stamps start rolling in. That whole 3 month period will be like Christmas! Too bad it's probably 8-10 months away unless the ATF hires an army of examiners.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It'll be worth it when the stamps start rolling in. That whole 3 month period will be like Christmas! Too bad it's probably 8-10 months away unless the ATF hires an army of examiners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Yea time to sit back and relax
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:29:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wanted to use a supressor but didn't want 36 inches of rifle barrel.
View Quote

This.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top