Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2016 12:02:08 AM EDT

My 11.5" SBR short strokes occasionally with .223 AE, and sometimes won't lock back.

My go-to ammo is XM855, and it gets a solid lock back on that stuff.

It runs everything, even the anemic steel cased stuff, with the can on.

Is this a problem, or just live with it? I have a feeling it will be way over gassed with the XM855 with the can if I get it running on the weaker stuff.

Standard buffer, 11.5" bcm barrel, MilSpec BCG.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Can does increase backpressure and help weaker ammo cycle. Will make hot ammo cycle harder, though, as you fear.

Might be able to open the port and add a heavier buffer and get it to function reliably in all regimes - guess it's up to you, and what ammo you plan to shoot most.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:14:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I think that's perfect. If it cycles everything with the can on, and military stuff even without the can, that's the ideal amount of gas pressure. I haven't tried my 10.5" with 0.049" port without the can, but I'm pretty sure it would short stroke. That's why the can doesn't come off.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#3]
You may be able to get it to run just right with everything with an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that's perfect.....snip
View Quote

Agree.  If you don't want to mess with port sizes or adj gas blocks, this is a pretty good situation - run milspec with no can, or anything with the can.

Only beaten by by a Govnah set up with "extra gas" plates allowing for all ammo use and cycling while dirty suppressed and suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:08:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I am going to have a 14.5" barrel cut down to 10.5", I am wondering if I should ask to leave the gas port as is or enlarge it?  If as is, will it operate as the same as the Ops?  Is this a good thing?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Had that happen to me. Had to go to a larger gas port. Especially when I put a piston conversion kit on it.  Up until I enlarged the port it short stroked on me big time. Adjustible gas block also helps alot with a suppressor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top