Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2016 5:01:31 PM EDT
Been looking at various MP5 clones for SBR   I saw the omega SD that Atlantic just got and has me thinking go SD but then I like the K too  

TPM outfitters is right down the road and their stuff looks good   so here is the question  

If you were going to do a SBR MP5 what would you do?  Which manufacture and which model?  Only requirement is I want to keep it 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
My first will hopefully be a RS with an A3 stock
2nd would be a K with a B&T folder identical to GP's.
An SD upper would be cool
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
MP5 full-size first: buy your MP5 mags, get a navy threaded barrel 1/2x28. Most pistol cans will fit, or 3-lug if that's an option.
Then a true K:  Same story here with the barrel, and you wont need mags. Would definitely SBR it though. The AOW thing is not worth it, after starting with a pistol, and finally being allowed to add a stock in WA.
then the SD: Could save $$$ here if you already have full-size MP5, as you can swap trigger group, BCG and stocks.

Right now, Atlantics deal, + $500 for a can, and $400 for 2 stamps is pretty hard to beat. Then add the lower of your choice and you're set. Problem is with the SD, you either have to make faux can so you can shoot unsupressed, and block off the ported barrel, or be like me and wait 12mo for your SD can to be approved.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought an MKE K-PDW first, then a TPM SD. Next is a TPM full size.

I think they're all badass in different ways. I love how compact the K is, and how quiet the SD is with the cheapest ammo. The full size isn't as specialized as the other two, so I'm saving it for last. I think it's a little bit on the long side with a silencer compared to the others.

From where I stand right now, I would say get a TPM SD and as many magazines as you can afford as your first because it's the least common of the three and suppresses the best. If you already have a can for the K, maybe get a K first instead.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a reverse stretch K and a full size.

Go full size.  A Zenith Z5-RS is what I have and would recommend.  Full size is a much better shooter.  More ergonomic, better sights, even softer recoil.

An SD intrigues me but the cleaning schedule would irritate.  I also dislike domestic made clones.  I and my friends have had much better luck wirh MKE and POF produced MP-5s.  I would worry about a budget SD clone, like the omega, being finicky with ammo etc.  

If you're set on an SD, I would wait for the MKE offering to come out.  I plan on buying one as soon as they are out.

My Atlantic Reverse Stretch is much less reliable than my full size Zenith.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:42:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a full size first (MKE). I put in my Form 1 as soon as I test fired it to make sure it worked. Shooting doesn't get much more fun than a full size MP5 with a can and subsonic ammo.

I have a K (also MKE) that I'm waiting for the stamp on, and a TPM SD that I'm waiting for both stamps on.

I will say that they suck to shoot as pistols, so the wait is terrible, but worth it!

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 2:06:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also dislike domestic made clones.  I and my friends have had much better luck wirh MKE and POF produced MP-5s.  I would worry about a budget SD clone, like the omega, being finicky with ammo etc.  

If you're set on an SD, I would wait for the MKE offering to come out.  I plan on buying one as soon as they are out.

View Quote

U.S. made HKs come in two flavors: Budget swill and small batch delicious. I trust TPM (Elijah Craig 12 Year if we're keeping the analogy going) over my MKE (Jack Daniels) any day of the week, and I love my MKE. Bobcat, Cohaire, SW, etc. (Rot-gut moonshine) are a different story. It should be said that "U.S. made clones" aren't all the same, and some are better than what the Germans are peddling. All of this is only my opinion, of course.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

U.S. made HKs come in two flavors: Budget swill and small batch delicious. I trust TPM (Elijah Craig 12 Year if we're keeping the analogy going) over my MKE (Jack Daniels) any day of the week, and I love my MKE. Bobcat, Cohaire, SW, etc. (Rot-gut moonshine) are a different story. It should be said that "U.S. made clones" aren't all the same, and some are better than what the Germans are peddling. All of this is only my opinion, of course.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I also dislike domestic made clones.  I and my friends have had much better luck wirh MKE and POF produced MP-5s.  I would worry about a budget SD clone, like the omega, being finicky with ammo etc.  

Now that an HK German made roller lock is on the market I would never buy a High end US-made clone.   The high-end ones certainly are nice.  But you have to be crazy to pay over 3K for one right now when you can get a real German SP5K for 2200.

German roller locks won't be available forever.   With a likely Hillary Clinton presidency they may go away sooner than HK plans.  OP if you're gonna spend the big bucks get an SP5K and send it to TSC Machine for a conversion to an MP5K PDW.

Go and look at what SP89s cost now...   Nobody's clone increases in value.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will add post-sale customer service to your comments as well. One of the reasons I am such a fan of Jeff Walters / Parabellum Combay Systems is that he stands behind his work. You can call him any time, M-F 9-5 and if he doesnt answer he will call you back ASAP and its like talking to a buddy on the phone. I have bugged him with all kinds of questions over the years and he loves to talk and explain in detail what I am trying to understand. I have only had 1 issue in 4 builds from him, and it was my fault, not his. He repaired he gun and didnt even want to charge me, other than return shipping.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#9]
MP5 thread

The answer is yes.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#11]
After months of looking around last year, I bought an MKE Z-5RS through Atlantic and SBR'd it.  It is fantastic!  It has been 100% reliable.

I chose the Z-5RS because I prefer the classic full size MP5 look and feel to the K versions.  

I am curious about the proposed MKE SD model being talked about.  If it is released at around $2000, I will likely get one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a Z-5P that I have stamp for, and it's..OK. I'm a bit underwhelmed. I had some jams, bought an ejector lever and cleaned it and it shot well today so I'm hopeful.

My remaining gripe assuming it stops jamming is you have to be fucking Herc-a-les to charge the thing. And I'm a big dude.  I think something a bit out of spec somewhere, maybe it will break in.

If I could go back in time I would have waited for the SP5K even though between the price of the gun and barreling with 3-lug barrel it would be like $1000+ more.

I can't help but think the HK would be built better, my USP 45 is a work of art, I love that thing.

I kind of want a full size MP5, but I'm not going to get one unless HK puts out some sort of "SP5" non-K version or something, which I'm not holding my breath on.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got a Z-5P that I have stamp for, and it's..OK. I'm a bit underwhelmed. I had some jams, bought an ejector lever and cleaned it and it shot well today so I'm hopeful.

My remaining gripe assuming it stops jamming is you have to be fucking Herc-a-les to charge the thing. And I'm a big dude.  I think something a bit out of spec somewhere, maybe it will break in.

If I could go back in time I would have waited for the SP5K even though between the price of the gun and barreling with 3-lug barrel it would be like $1000+ more.

I can't help but think the HK would be built better, my USP 45 is a work of art, I love that thing.

I kind of want a full size MP5, but I'm not going to get one unless HK puts out some sort of "SP5" non-K version or something, which I'm not holding my breath on.
View Quote

Talk to Jeff @ Parabellum Combat Systems. Or send it back to Zenith. Something isnt right. Im a big guy too, but my MP5 Jeff built charges like a hot knife through butter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Talk to Jeff @ Parabellum Combat Systems. Or send it back to Zenith. Something isnt right. Im a big guy too, but my MP5 Jeff built charges like a hot knife through butter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto on Jeff. He built me an MP5 on an SW receiver and then I had him roll me an MP5K-N. Both are SBRs. The K has got an Aimpoint micro and a TiRant and I just grin every time I take it to the range. About to send him a flat and parts for a -53 build.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know the RS is different but my RS has no issues. It's now sitting in the safe waiting for the F1 to come back.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Jeff AKA Ghilliebear is the man! I have an HK 53 and HK 33k built by Jeff. He is very knowledgeable with HK systems.  I would not hesitate to send off for an MP5 Full size or RS build from PCS.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy one, I love mine. I just ordered a K model to go along with my full size model
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, MP5 is the right answer.

K vs SD: tough one, SD shoots glorified 32ACP rounds, K gives you more options.  Read article below, made the choice easy for me.  That being said theres a better chance that I'll be struck by lightening while being sworn in as the president of Zimbabwe than the chance of me firing my MP5 in anger.

SD vs. K
TL;DR- SD was great back in the day when 147gr wasn't prolific; however, 115gr - 20% velocity = 32ACP.  Suppression- K w/ can vs SD are within a few decibels.

I went K with pistol can.  Very happy but its a matter of time before I get long dicked by the sexy sound of an SD and decide I can't live without one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been contemplating this as well except I'm torn between an MP5k ( already have a supressor ) or get an AKSU. I already have a AR15 SBR in the works ( about 4 months in the wait ) and I already have a Steyr AUG in 9mm that will accept a supressor. It's hard making decisions when the only correct answer is get both but you don't have enough money
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've been contemplating this as well except I'm torn between an MP5k ( already have a supressor ) or get an AKSU. I already have a AR15 SBR in the works ( about 4 months in the wait ) and I already have a Steyr AUG in 9mm that will accept a supressor. It's hard making decisions when the only correct answer is get both but you don't have enough money
View Quote
I have both and you should get both.  Between the MP5k and AKSU I prefer the AK.  But my full size MP5A5 is more fun than my AKSU

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Tavor with the ratworks suppressor in 9mm,  Have a couple krinks, ps90, AR with 9mm upper (as well as other cals)   even have a VZ-61 skorpion SBR    UMP and Micro Galil SBR in jail right now  

I'm leaning towards the K as it's A) shorter and B) a 1 stamp gun vs 2 stamp for the SD (since I already have cans)   But then I'm also thinking about a 11" FAL, and other toys  So many wants and so little money  

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have both and you should get both.  Between the MP5k and AKSU I prefer the AK.  But my full size MP5A5 is more fun than my AKSU  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I have both and prefer my mp5s.  I have both k and now 2 full size and I prefer the full size mp5 as well.  The k really isn't that much smaller and lighter than full size and full size is smoother to shoot.  That being said any of the options between mp5k, mp5 or AK are good decisions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Very interesting read on MP5SD.

https://loadoutroom.com/998/hk-mp-5-the-uber-gun-of-the-1980s/

The MP-5 SD (SD = Schalldämpfer, German for “sound suppressor”) is quiet with a CDI (Chicks Dig It) factor off the scale. There is, however, an ugly secret. In 1989, you could find these low signature babies in the arms rooms of every elite unit in America.

On December 20th, 1989, all of that changed.

During the early hours of Operation Just Cause in Panama, some of these units shot PEOPLE with these guns. You see, the barrel on the MP-5 SD is short and it has holes in it. It takes most 9mm rounds below the speed of sound. This is why it is quiet. This is why it is non-lethal. Shooting paper, it makes terrifying rips and tears.

After shooting people with poor results, the M-4 became America’s sweetheart and the MP-5 became the retro gun favored by people who don’t understand physics.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The MP-5 SD (SD = Schalldämpfer, German for “sound suppressor”) is quiet with a CDI (Chicks Dig It) factor off the scale. There is, however, an ugly secret. In 1989, you could find these low signature babies in the arms rooms of every elite unit in America.

On December 20th, 1989, all of that changed.

During the early hours of Operation Just Cause in Panama, some of these units shot PEOPLE with these guns. You see, the barrel on the MP-5 SD is short and it has holes in it. It takes most 9mm rounds below the speed of sound. This is why it is quiet. This is why it is non-lethal. Shooting paper, it makes terrifying rips and tears.

After shooting people with poor results, the M-4 became America’s sweetheart and the MP-5 became the retro gun favored by people who don’t understand physics.

Awesome article
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I went with a Atlantic Arms built MP5K

Its a blast

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Its a blast

https://youtu.be/o11UKCP6xLk
View Quote

What can are you running
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What can are you running
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a blast

https://youtu.be/o11UKCP6xLk

What can are you running

AAC Tirant 45
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Neat video, but it creeps me out to see anyone shooting without eye protection.  I've had too much junk bounce off my glasses to ever want to shoot without them, plus a few seperated cases that said hi.

Your eyes of course, but we need all the gun shooters we have in good shape and ready to roll.  Consider throwing on some eye protection.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Atlantic MP5K-PDW and a Zenith MP5.  Both are awesome.  I use the full-size more than the "K", but both are lots of fun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I dont think you can beat a standard MP5. The K and SD are like backup dancers to the full-size.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought a POF, standard model.

SBR'ed it.

Immediately wished I had got the K.

BUT!  Mine has been more reliable than my buddy's k version.  My longer barrel has been kinder on my underpowered and subsonic rounds than his.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Do it OP

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's fucked up.
View All Quotes

Its hilarious
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Its hilarious
View All Quotes

Agreed
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#37]
My one and only is a reverse stretch K made by DJGetz.  It is so much fun to shoot with the AAC Ti-Rant 9 attached.

One of these days I will get a full size stock or a folding stock.  This stock looks awesome but is less comfortable to shoot.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I started out on mine (z-5p) with mixed feelings as it was jamming. It was one (or both) of the ejector or the Korean magazines I was using.

I got the HK ejector and only use the MKE magazines in it, and I now love it.  Shoots soft, no jams, crazy accurate.  Kley-Zion mount is perfect for co-witness.

It's slowly entering my circle of trust for my guns I am sure are extremely reliable, which currently only has my USP 45 and SGL-21 in it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#39]
OP, not sure if you've bought one or not yet.  I'm in DFW, and hopefully I'll have my stamp back in two more weeks for my Zenith/MKE Z-5P (MP5KN) if you want to check it out or shoot it.  It'll have the shorter B&T stock and I've got an Octane 45 HD I'll be running on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top