Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2016 4:45:43 PM EDT
With the halt of eforms coming up, do you think approvals will be happening more frequently at a higher volume? It would make sense but then again, it is the government.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Doubt it.  Is e forms going away?   Damn I need to eke one more before tomorrow at 2400.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I seriously doubt it
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely.

The number of submissions in the weeks/months after 7/13 is certain to be less than in the weeks/months before.

But a year from now it will be more.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It may after 6 or 7 months from now.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
They really should batch approve.  But I doubt they will.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Reduction of forms will be offset by time to do the paperwork (determine who is "responsible person", process prints and photos, deal with flood of errors, no more eforms)
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL . . . ROFL . . .

I really doubt things will go any faster for the forseeable future.  Sure, there's been a massive rush to beat the deadline, but I expect there will be another surge in applications from individuals once the rules change. Plus, as more and more people get the NFA bug, application volume will increase. Add in the idea that it's rare that a government agency becomes more effecient, especially when there's additional trustees and responsible persons to check, record, and whatever else, well . . .it looks like a pipe dream to me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Lulz, not a chance.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#10]
They need some proof readers to kick out the rejects before they get a month or 2 in....that would help.  You know, like abbreviations and no dotted i's or crossed t's.

Is there a timeline to rejection?  Would sux to wait 8 months, then get disapproved.  I would rather get kicked out in a month and re-file.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This

Quoted:
Don't forget all of the folks who couldn't file as individuals (because of CLEOs who would not sign-off) but didn't want to go the trust/corp. route.  

I bet that there are a significant number of first-time filers sitting on GO just waiting for the law change.  But I could be wrong.

I keep hearing this. Do you know of any? I don't.
Anecdotes and all
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anecdotes and all
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't forget all of the folks who couldn't file as individuals (because of CLEOs who would not sign-off) but didn't want to go the trust/corp. route.  

I bet that there are a significant number of first-time filers sitting on GO just waiting for the law change.  But I could be wrong.

Anecdotes and all

I have at least a dozen waiting to buy on July 13th.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it possible the ATF would devote their attention to get through all the efiles since there will be no more submissions on there?  Seems smart... but who knows.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I recall seeing a release by the ATF that said how much time an agent spends per approval, anyone have that?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I recall seeing a release by the ATF that said how much time an agent spends per approval, anyone have that?
View Quote

My guess....17 seconds

Its the Gov though, so... a week?

Not sure we wanna know....

Something tells me, the rush on silencers hasnt even started.

Finger prints and photos, isnt the end of the world. Im sure they have most of ours anyway. No CLEO sign off is Im sure is a big deal to alot of people.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:47:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anecdotes and all

That's very interesting to me
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Do the form 1's go to a different division than form 4's, if so wouldn't the form 1's be approved faster because there would be a slow down from form 1's?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My guess....17 seconds

Finger prints and photos, isnt the end of the world. Im sure they have most of ours anyway. No CLEO sign off is Im sure is a big deal to alot of people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess....17 seconds

can you read a 20+ page trust in 17 seconds?

IIRC I think it averaged closer to 4 mins
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Not at all. All those fingerprints have to go to FBI for processing...
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I fear we may go back to 10-12 month wait times again soon. My first purchase in 2011 took something like 10 months from sent forms to pickup. I did most of my NFA purchasing last summer when individual wait times were at their lowest. Glad I did as I have an MG and enough SBR/suppressors to play with for a while. Im planning on about 2-3 more form 1s this year.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anecdotes and all

Same , Ive got a stack of SBR form 1's to mail out this week. Thanks to our shitty awb laws in ct, unless you originally registered a rifle to your trust , you could not transfer it into one after the new laws went into effect. So my trust is all fine and dandy for buying suppressors, but not SBR's unless you purchased a preban but im not paying that much for a beat to shit receiver when I have plenty of modern ones.You could still apply as an individual , but fuck that, its a kick in the balls enough to pay the tax for a right, never mind having to ask the local top cop for permission to exercise a right. So now that its passed , off the form 1's go!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Thinking of SBRing that scratched Colt FilthyPhil?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#27]
After they catch up from the backlog and the new forms make it to the examiners I don't see the process going any faster. Their will be a learning curve and it is more complicated on their side as well. More cards, things to check .... I don't see it all going well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:26:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just making sure you filled those out in the new forms and haven't had them waiting for weeks/months.

The older forms are now obsolete and will not be accepted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same , Ive got a stack of SBR form 1's to mail out this week.

Just making sure you filled those out in the new forms and haven't had them waiting for weeks/months.

The older forms are now obsolete and will not be accepted.

Yep got them from the link in your new guide
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:27:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Didn't individual submissions take up to 1 year before 41F because of all the background checks?  I  think we will see the process taking that much time now for all submissions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:34:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Didn't individual submissions take up to 1 year before 41F because of all the background checks?  I  think we will see the process taking that much time now for all submissions.
View Quote

ATF already estimated wait time would double, with all the new background checks being processed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This

Anecdotes and all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Quoted:

Anecdotes and all

A friend of my dads tried to file a few years ago and our sheriff won't sign. He set up a new trust and never used it, didn't know about e-forms. A couple days after 41f he sent me a text saying he was going to file for an sbr and wanted to know if I could walk him through it as an individual..... My internal reaction was why the hell didn't you file a week ago with your trust?!?! I told him I wasn't 100% up on all the new procedures so he went to a dealer for help. It does seem backwards but people doing this are out there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Nope....not a chance....
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#33]
hahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

ATF already estimated wait time would double, with all the new background checks being processed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this. Pre-41F Trust submissions made things very easy for ATF. Post-41F, some people are going to submit photos/prints/data for a bunch of co-trustees and all that useless crap will be more work for ATF. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the wait times doubled. I imagine there will be a lull after the big rush to beat the rule change, but that won't last long.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

this. Pre-41F Trust submissions made things very easy for ATF. Post-41F, some people are going to submit photos/prints/data for a bunch of co-trustees and all that useless crap will be more work for ATF. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the wait times doubled. I imagine there will be a lull after the big rush to beat the rule change, but that won't last long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually, when the trend starts to show a lull in wait times, that is when everyone buys again, and there goes your short wait times. NFA is very cyclical. ATF gets backlogged, then catches up, then backlogged again, and round and round.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#36]
"caught up"? Maybe in relative terms, but until we see consistent sub-1 week approvals I'll continue believe that they are perpetually behind!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:00:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Best thing that could happen is if they started batch approvals on the Eform submissions.  Probably won't happen now, but I had 6 approved this way a year ago.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm really bummed I won't get mine back until October, if that.

Form 4 suppressor submitted on 4/29 and a Form 1 SBR submitted on 5/23.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Best thing that could happen is if they started batch approvals on the Eform submissions.  Probably won't happen now, but I had 6 approved this way a year ago.
View Quote

I have no idea why they ever stopped that...unless they just like making our lives miserable and inconvenient. Most of my currently pending forms are from June, but I have some from april/may as well. A batch approval might get me all my stuff in 2016. As it is, I'll probably be collecting social security before I get them all (I'm 41 now)....
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess....17 seconds

I seriously doubt they read an entire trust and if they did, they wouldn't understand half of the wording in it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have no idea why they ever stopped that...unless they just like making our lives miserable and inconvenient. Most of my currently pending forms are from June, but I have some from april/may as well. A batch approval might get me all my stuff in 2016. As it is, I'll probably be collecting social security before I get them all (I'm 41 now)....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might be able to answer my own question here:

ATF UPDATE: 41P, NFA BACKLOG, AND THE E-FORMS SYSTEM
Written by ASA on November 4, 2014

During our conversation, ATF also addressed their efforts to decrease the backlog of NFA forms. Since January, the NFA Branch has hired 9 additional examiners, bringing their total number to 25. Moreover, they have given the examiners the opportunity to work seven days a week with unlimited overtime.

So, you can bust your ass for 8 hours per day and live pretty good in Martinsville, WV, or you can just "do your job" at the minimum speed required and either live like a king or retire super young by working a shit ton of OT. Not a tough call. I'd take 2 hour power naps in the closet and go back to work if I had completely free reign to work as much as I want. It's not like it's long-haul truck driving or air traffic control or being a cop....this is pretty chillax work I would think. Retiring at 45 or 50 would be nice.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So, you can bust your ass for 8 hours per day and live pretty good in Martinsville, WV, or you can just "do your job" at the minimum speed required and either live like a king or retire super young by working a shit ton of OT. Not a tough call. I'd take 2 hour power naps in the closet and go back to work if I had completely free reign to work as much as I want. It's not like it's long-haul truck driving or air traffic control or being a cop....this is pretty chillax work I would think. Retiring at 45 or 50 would be nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During our conversation, ATF also addressed their efforts to decrease the backlog of NFA forms. Since January, the NFA Branch has hired 9 additional examiners, bringing their total number to 25. Moreover, they have given the examiners the opportunity to work seven days a week with unlimited overtime.

Do they work from home? I know people have reported some odd approval times on eForms. Ted Clutter seems to work 24 hours a day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Do they work from home? I know people have reported some odd approval times on eForms. Ted Clutter seems to work 24 hours a day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think they would be allowed to work from home. All you really need is a laptop and a VPN.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#45]
That is what I was thinking too.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:43:32 AM EDT
[#46]
omg, if I could do that job and work from home? I'd never NOT work!

edited...gif removed

Mom, bedpan!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I tend to think they are working from home or they are working a ton of OT - I have had my last form one approved on a Saturday and my last Form 4 (July 24th) - a Sunday.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I tend to think they are working from home or they are working a ton of OT - I have had my last form one approved on a Saturday and my last Form 4 (July 24th) - a Sunday.
View Quote

I would assume OT. I've had an approval on a Sunday
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top