Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2016 10:44:33 PM EDT
I'm a bit confused on the ATFs definition of a SBR... Let's say I cut an MCX down to 14.5" and pin the FH to make the barrel 16". I have effectively changed the OAL of the rifle. With the stock folder it would measure a hair over 25" folded. Is the ATF's definition of 26" OAL mean this rifle is subject to the NFA because it's folded length is less than 26" or is this measurement taken from the unfolded position?  The rifle can be fired from the folded position plus the stock could be completely removed and the rifle still functions.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
From my understanding if the over all barrel length is 16" then it isn't and SBR depending on that and the fully extended length of the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two bits of info straight from the Form 1:

Definition (1)(c):
Firearm. The term “firearm” means: (1) a shotgun having a barrelor barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in 18 U.S.C. 5845(e); (6) a machinegun; (7) a muffler or a silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition; and (8) a destructive device.

Instruction (2)(j):
Description of Firearm and Markings. (1) Item 4a. If you are modifying an existing firearm, enter the name and location of the original manufacturer. If you are creating the firearm, enter your name, city and state. (2) Item 4b. The types of NFAfirearms are listed in instruction1c. (3) Item 4c. Specify one caliber or gauge. If there is another designation, indicate the designation in item 4h. (4) Item 4d. Show the model designation (if known). (5) Items 4e and 4f. Specify one barrel length and overall length in items 4e and 4f as applicable. Note: if the firearm has a folding or collapsible stock, the overall measurement is to be made with the stock extended. (6) Item 4g. Do not alter or modify the serial number of an existing firearm. Enter the existing serial number in item 4g. to register the firearm. (7) Markings: The maker is required to mark the firearm with his name, city and state. All markings are to be in compliance with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102.
View Quote

Word. Thanks for this. Wish I'd seen it before posting. I just measured my Polish AKMS and it's only 25" with the FH installed so I figured I'd be good. My MCX is my only non SBRd rifle I own and want to keep it that way for travel purposes but get it as compact as possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top