Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2016 11:34:04 PM EDT
Looking for testimony.

I'm a lefty.

I own all right hand rifles, including an 10.5 AR SBR.

Considering getting a suppressor. Concerned about gassing my face.

Considering a Stag left hand upper SBR.

Do you have a lefty? Run suppressed?

Worth getting that upper vs a standard righty? Meaning: Are you happy you went lefty?

Thanks.

ETA: Or is the issue not as bad as I imagine?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about getting a left handed rifle/upper if you haven't already. All mine are right handed, I've put a ambi safety on one rifle, the rest are standard.

Get a way to tame the gas, whether it's an adjustable gas block or an adjustable carrier. i use both on different rifles, including an 11.5" bcm and trek. Just don't forget your glasses.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a lefty and I have a can on my 10.5" SBR. I don't know what left/right handed guns have to do with gas in the face.

Your best bet is to RTV the charging handle and use an adjustable gas block to limit how much gas cycles in the rifle.

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-charging-handle
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes it's worth it, but only for supressor use. The only ar I have that is a stag is my sbr I run my can on. Most of the blowback is from the ejection port. When I give it to my right handed friends they finally understand what I was talking about with the blowback. For the record, I also tried a lwrc and it wasn't any better. Other tricks that help are the rtv sealant and an adjustable gas block. I'm currently running both on my stag and I get no gas to the face. My buddies still get some, but it's definately better with the adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the RTV tip.  

I knew about the gas buster CH's, but I was thinking most of it would come out the ejection port right across my face as opposed to being on the other side.

Thanks for confirming.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a lefty build and shoot lefty--stag upper, 18" rifle length gas barrel.. Shooting with a specwar 762 I get minimal gassy face.  Still some when shooting fast, though so you may need to look into the gemtech BCG or an adjustable key.  I can only assume a SBR would be worse than this 18" 556.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top