Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2016 3:22:42 PM EDT
I submitted a form 1 to SBR a Spikes Tactical lower. My form 1 was disapproved because I did not include the alpha prefix for the serial number. My fault. I should have asked before submitting. I called the ATF I and was told that I needed to resubmit and start all over again. Is there possibly someone I can contact at the ATF to fix this issue. I have read about other members calling or emailing an individual at the ATF and getting problems fixed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope. That's a practice (fast-tracking resubmissions) that has apparently ended in the last week.

At least two examples in this thread and another one (for a Spikes lower) here.
View Quote

Thanks BW, I haven't been keeping up to date on this stuff lately. Been busy with other things. Not that big of a deal as long as I resubmit before the new trust changes go into affect.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I came to post this exact thread. My spikes also got disapproved today. It sucks that it took a month to get a dissaproval but I am glad it is still before 41F. It's too bad they can't make that clear on their page somewhere. On the plus side, I resubmitted my form in about 1/10th the time this time around.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#4]
They are trying to "batch" disapprove them for folks so they still have time to resubmit.  They are looking for obvious errors that would result in an eventual disapproval, and just doing it right now to actually help us out when we have made basic errors.  I'm glad to see that they are at least interested in helping us out and not just waiting till later to disapprove and screw us over.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Same thing happened to me on a Spikes lower for forgetting the prefix...Chalk it up as a rookie mistake. I spoke to someone there and they told me they can't fast track it due to all the volume in submissions leading up to 41f. He did say that my new submission looked good and that it would likely be approved whenever it's time for it to be reviewed, *sigh*

At least I have my pinned 14.5 to show some love to for the another 3, or however many months it may be.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nope. That's a practice (fast-tracking resubmissions) that has apparently ended in the last week.

View Quote

Ive had to use the fast track twice now.. I am going to check my pending forms to make sure they're in line now. That SUCKS that they aren't doing it anymore
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That sucks but can't say I can blame them. Most of the disapproved issues seem to be stuff people fuck up when they shouldn't. I've got 7 form 1's pending so hopefully I didn't fuck them all up.

Eta: And maybe that will speed the line up. Do you think people that reapply should continue to try and email Ted Clutter?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#9]
i did this EXACT same thing and it was disapproved moday.  my question is do you also include the dash in the serial# like sbr-XXXXX  or do it sbrXXXXX without the dash???
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've always input it exactly as described, and upload a pic of the engraving that shows model and SN.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i did this EXACT same thing and it was disapproved moday.  my question is do you also include the dash in the serial# like sbr-XXXXX  or do it sbrXXXXX without the dash???

I've always input it exactly as described, and upload a pic of the engraving that shows model and SN.

thanks, i will do that.  i just got approval on my supressor, but this got disapproved. its a little frustrating but im learning lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I called about mine, I asked about the dash. The lady said put down exactly what is on the receiver so if there is a dash, put it on the form. I resubmitted mine with the dash so we shall see.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When I called about mine, I asked about the dash. The lady said put down exactly what is on the receiver so if there is a dash, put it on the form. I resubmitted mine with the dash so we shall see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i actually just taked to them and they confirmed that same thing   thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why are you putting SBR in front of your serial number? Or am I misunderstanding?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why are you putting SBR in front of your serial number? Or am I misunderstanding?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is the first 3 letters in the serial number onf my stripped lower
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great idea. I have an AK that I'm worried about it being disapproved. The model number on the receiver is marked SLR 107UR with no dash which is how I listed it on the form 1. Now I'm seeing people have been approved with adding dashes that aren't even on the receiver eg; SLR-107UR or with no space eg; SLR107UR

Do you think I should add a photo? It's in in process/pending status.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Spikes uses some dumb 3 letter prefix in their serial numbers... some peoples start with SBR... some NSL... etc. Its some sort of identifier for their lower. My Spikes is a NSLxxxxx and I believe it stands for "Non Spider Logo" as it has a Punisher skull logo and not one of their typical spider logos.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh gotcha. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, if there is a dash factory engraved on your receiver then that is what you put on your form1.  For both serial number and model you should always put EXACTLY what appears on that receiver.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#20]
mine was disapproved monday for the same damn thing. spikes lower. i emailed the examiner and she told me to resubmit it real quick and she would approve it. 45 minutes after i resubmitted she approved the new form. guess i lucked out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
mine was disapproved monday for the same damn thing. spikes lower. i emailed the examiner and she told me to resubmit it real quick and she would approve it. 45 minutes after i resubmitted she approved the new form. guess i lucked out.
View Quote

i wish i had that oppertunity
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Her title at the bottom of her email was "Legal Instruments Examiner". Originally sent it to a atf.gov address then all her returning emails came from usdoj.gov address. she was super nice and told me its happening to alot of spikes lowers be submitted.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Her title at the bottom of her email was "Legal Instruments Examiner". Originally sent it to a atf.gov address then all her returning emails came from usdoj.gov address. she was super nice and told me its happening to alot of spikes lowers be submitted.
View Quote

well i am guessing i did not get her? lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#24]
One of my Spikes lowers has a THUGxxxxx serial number. I form 1'd it anyway. One of my other sbr's has FOxxxxxxx as the serial.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure the answer is "nothing ATF does is consistent"....but why do they demand SBR be included in the s/n but then turn around and don't require the "MOD" in the model name to be included? Is it just because Spikes includes the SBR in the s/n when they manufacture the lower or is ATF just being silly, as usual?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I would imagine with only 5 numerical digits for serial numbers, the prefix offers them the ability to not stress over using the same number.

I am sure there are lowers out there with the same numerical numbers but one may say SBR- and another SCR-... but I could be way off with that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That question gets asked, and I'm not sure why.

SBR-1234 is the SN
MOD is the label for the Model (ST15 in my pic) , just like CAL is the label for the caliber (Multi in this case).

There wouldn't be a label of "SBR" for anything.

Evidently they run all the common engraving at once, and then go back and add the series of SNs. The different font causes some of the confusion, and the fact they chose SBR (for Spikes Battle Rifle) causes additional confusion to some, including examiners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure the answer is "nothing ATF does is consistent"....but why do they demand SBR be included in the s/n but then turn around and don't require the "MOD" in the model name to be included? Is it just because Spikes includes the SBR in the s/n when they manufacture the lower or is ATF just being silly, as usual?

That question gets asked, and I'm not sure why.

SBR-1234 is the SN
MOD is the label for the Model (ST15 in my pic) , just like CAL is the label for the caliber (Multi in this case).

There wouldn't be a label of "SBR" for anything.

Evidently they run all the common engraving at once, and then go back and add the series of SNs. The different font causes some of the confusion, and the fact they chose SBR (for Spikes Battle Rifle) causes additional confusion to some, including examiners.

So ATF wouldn't allow a company to use the letters "MOD" at the beginning of an official model name? The formatting is just weird and clearly causes MUCH confusion for their customers. Not sure why they don't just go to all numbers to make life easier for everyone. To each their own though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I would imagine with only 5 numerical digits for serial numbers, the prefix offers them the ability to not stress over using the same number.

I am sure there are lowers out there with the same numerical numbers but one may say SBR- and another SCR-... but I could be way off with that.
View Quote

You are.  

In the case of the Spikes lowers, the 3 letter prefix is tied to the lower type. The "SBR" in this case stands for "Spikes Battle Rifle" and is their normal, dueling dicks spider logo'd lower prefix.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You are.  

In the case of the Spikes lowers, the 3 letter prefix is tied to the lower type. The "SBR" in this case stands for "Spikes Battle Rifle" and is their normal, dueling dicks spider logo'd lower prefix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are.  

meh, it was a thought. Mine has the SCR prefix and is the same dueling dicks spider.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
meh, it was a thought. Mine has the SCR prefix and is the same dueling dicks spider.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are.  

Interesting.  I've seen a couple in person and they both said "SBR", and when I heard the "Spikes Battle Rifle" was the reasoning, that seemed to fit.

Although, it is certainly sensible, once they made over 9999 units with the "SBR" prefix, they would have to change it.  

So if you have an "SCR", I stand corrected.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I submitted a form 1 to SBR a Spikes Tactical lower. My form 1 was disapproved because I did not include the alpha prefix for the serial number. My fault. I should have asked before submitting. I called the ATF I and was told that I needed to resubmit and start all over again. Is there possibly someone I can contact at the ATF to fix this issue. I have read about other members calling or emailing an individual at the ATF and getting problems fixed.
View Quote

Same exact thing happened to me. Email, resubmit. Got it back in less time it took to get it engraved.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:51:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Same exact thing happened to me. Email, resubmit. Got it back in less time it took to get it engraved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're telling people to get back in line now apparently and not fast tracking resubmitted forms. Focusing their efforts on reviewing as many forms for errors as possible before the 41F deadline.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top