Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2016 12:43:56 AM EDT
Much has been said about whether to engrave a form 1 receiver, and resale value.

I just read this in the ATF Handbook:
-----
The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver
of the weapon.96 The
marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.
-----
So, that means if the receiver already has a serial #, you can engrave the other info on the barrel, and have a receiver that will have no other markings. Then, a new owner can xfer the gun, and change out the barrel.

I think that would be a legal flow.

This has probably been covered at some point before, but I was always under the assumption the engraving HAD to be on the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 1:52:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:This has probably been covered at some point before, but I was always under the assumption the engraving HAD to be on the receiver.
View Quote

Yeah. extensively.

But now you know.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for the dupe of already discussed stuff.  The main point I did not get over very well was I always thought the engraving of the name or trust had to be done on the same piece of metal as the serial #. Now I see that is not the case.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Still best to engrave the lower though.. Unless you want to engrave every upper for the lower with Trust/name and city state.  Makes selling them off if you dont want it more difficult.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think best is the proper word. I've never swapped an upper. I simply build another lower.

Although, I'd probably sell an upper before I ever sold a lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still best to engrave the lower though.. Unless you want to engrave every upper for the lower with Trust/name and city state.  Makes selling them off if you dont want it more difficult.

I don't think best is the proper word. I've never swapped an upper. I simply build another lower.

I agree that "best" is a relative term. I personally don't see the problem with engraving your trust name on the receiver. It's a ~$100 part and after paying a $200 tax stamp, who sells them? Maybe if it's some uber rare lower before you SBR'ed it but I personally wouldn't SBR a lower like that for that very reason. If you are really that worried about resale, then I would get a factory SBR so none of that will be an issue.

The one I do have an issue with is the caliber marking. A lot of us get lowers with no specific caliber marking for a reason. That's where I think engraving the upper or barrel makes sense and really, the engraving requirement is for when the SBR is first built so who's to say that 1 week after you built your complaint SBR (with caliber engraved on the barrel) you didn't replace that barrel or upper with an unmarked one?

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree that "best" is a relative term. I personally don't see the problem with engraving your trust name on the receiver. It's a ~$100 part and after paying a $200 tax stamp, who sells them? Maybe if it's some uber rare lower before you SBR'ed it but I personally wouldn't SBR a lower like that for that very reason. If you are really that worried about resale, then I would get a factory SBR so none of that will be an issue.

The one I do have an issue with is the caliber marking. A lot of us get lowers with no specific caliber marking for a reason. That's were It think engraving the upper or barrel makes sense and really, the engraving requirement is for when the SBR is first built so who's to say that 1 week after you built your complaint SBR (with caliber engraved on the barrel) you didn't replace that barrel or upper with an unmarked one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I do have an issue with is the caliber marking. A lot of us get lowers with no specific caliber marking for a reason. That's were It think engraving the upper or barrel makes sense and really, the engraving requirement is for when the SBR is first built so who's to say that 1 week after you built your complaint SBR (with caliber engraved on the barrel) you didn't replace that barrel or upper with an unmarked one?

I would not want to be the test case for the ATF if caught with an SBR with no caliber engraved on it.

Also, what is the legality of building say, a 5.56 SBR, with caliber on the barrel, then using it with a 300 BLK barrel later? You DID specify 5.56 on the ATF form 1! Does the lower ALWAYS have to carry a 5.56 barrel?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This gets thrown around all the time and is simply not true.

Engraving is required at the time of making. After the SBR is made and engraved, the changes can be made with no engraving required.

If a new SBR is not made (no new F1 required) no engraving is required.

The engraving requirement is on the original maker.

Do you suppose if you had a factory SBR where the manf engraved a barrel, and you put a different upper on it, that you would be required to get the engraving redone on the new upper?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you suppose if you had a factory SBR where the manf engraved a barrel, and you put a different upper on it, that you would be required to get the engraving redone on the new upper?
View Quote

Uh, yes you would be required to do that. Because unlike Title 1 firearms, it is a felony to remove required markings from a Title 2 firearm.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would not want to be the test case for the ATF if caught with an SBR with no caliber engraved on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

While I somewhat agree, that seems like a pretty far fetched possibility but you are right in that, I would not want to be the test case for that theory.

Quoted:
Also, what is the legality of building say, a 5.56 SBR, with caliber on the barrel, then using it with a 300 BLK barrel later? You DID specify 5.56 on the ATF form 1! Does the lower ALWAYS have to carry a 5.56 barrel?

That is perfectly legal and goes to my point above. Once the form1 has been approved and the rifle is built as stated in the paper work, it is perfectly legal to change it into any other config that you want without having it re-engraved, or having to resubmit anything. You don't even have to inform the BATF.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Engraving is required at the time of making. After the SBR is made and engraved, the changes can be made with no engraving required.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know if you buy an SBR, then no ingraving is required.. Its already registered as such with the factory maker and S number on the lower.  And the upper can be changed with no actions required.
BUT if you make a SBR from parts, once you register it, and engrave with your Trust name and city state on the upper reciever, youre saying that you can switch the upper and not have the manufactures (you) trust/name and City, State any longer?  Thats ok?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#13]
...and I'm still unclear as to why adding a little engraving to a lower is so undesirable.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...and I'm still unclear as to why adding a little engraving to a lower is so undesirable.....
View Quote

Same here. It already has the title 1 manufacturers info and logo on it. What is the big deal with adding a little more.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Uh, yes you would be required to do that. Because unlike Title 1 firearms, it is a felony to remove required markings from a Title 2 firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that was just serial #, and other restrictions just for licensed entities?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought that was just serial #, and other restrictions just for licensed entities?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the information, not just serial number, is required on a Title 2 firearm, which includes the maker's name and city/state.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#17]

So, if I'm understanding you gentlemen correctly, (and interpreting the statute quoted above), one should be good to go with having the maker's name and city/state engraved on a lower that is marked by the manufacturer as multi-caliber....as long as the caliber is marked on the upper/barrel currently attached to the registered lower?

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, if I'm understanding you gentlemen correctly, (and interpreting the statute quoted above), one should be good to go with having the maker's name and city/state engraved on a lower that is marked by the manufacturer as multi-caliber....as long as the caliber is marked on the upper/barrel currently attached to the registered lower?

View Quote

I believe you are correct.  

The engraving depth requirements are specific to the serial number, so I believe that laser engraving of the caliber on a barrel is OK.  I hope/expect that if this has been found to be false, that I'll be corrected shortly.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope.

All required engraving has the same .003" minimum depth requirement...which isn't much more than a standard sheet of paper. The SN has the additional requirement of 1/16" minimum height.

But you're right in that engraving of everything except the SN is allowable on the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The engraving depth requirements are specific to the serial number, so I believe that laser engraving of the caliber on a barrel is OK.  I hope/expect that if this has been found to be false, that I'll be corrected shortly.  

Nope.

All required engraving has the same .003" minimum depth requirement...which isn't much more than a standard sheet of paper. The SN has the additional requirement of 1/16" minimum height.

But you're right in that engraving of everything except the SN is allowable on the barrel.

Well there you go.  And the (which I just looked up) ATF Guidebook includes the depth requirement for all the information, making this subject much less confusing.

The only thing I don't like about the Guidebook is that there is no version number or effective date.  The contents could change and it wouldn't be possible to tell without reading the whole thing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Engraving the maker's name (your Trust or individual name) and state soley on the barrel of a SBR and then switching out uppers is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Assuming you didn't have the original (as approved) upper in close proximity, you'd have a complete SBR with no proof that you are in compliance with BATFE regulations. Of course (as many do), you could keep a PDF copy of your approved Form 1 on your phone, but you still would be digging yourself out of a situation in order to prove innocence if an agent ever decided to take a "closer look".

Engraving the lower affords SBR owners with the most flexibly in how they choose to set it up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Engraving the maker's name (your Trust or individual name) and state soley on the barrel of a SBR and then switching out uppers is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Assuming you didn't have the original (as approved) upper in close proximity, you'd have a complete SBR with no proof that you are in compliance with BATFE regulations. Of course (as many do), you could keep a PDF copy of your approved Form 1 on your phone, but you still would be digging yourself out of a situation in order to prove innocence if an agent ever decided to take a "closer look".

Engraving the lower affords SBR owners with the most flexibly in how they choose to set it up.
View Quote

Legal to engrave the barrel, just have to engrave every SBR upper's  barrel that you want to use on that lower. How I did it on my HK 416 clone, but that's the only upper that I am ever going to put on it, and I specifically didn't want to engrave the lower.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Legal to engrave the barrel, just have to engrave every SBR upper's  barrel that you want to use on that lower. How I did it on my HK 416 clone, but that's the only upper that I am ever going to put on it, and I specifically didn't want to engrave the lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, and I would probably do the same in your shoes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

My point in asking the question about engraving only the caliber on the upper was to find out if having the Maker/City,State on the lower - and the caliber on the barrel allowing would allow one to change uppers (calibers) and still be legal.

The assembled SBR would have all the required information per statute. Maker, City/State and caliber.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My point in asking the question about engraving only the caliber on the upper was to find out if having the Maker/City,State on the lower - and the caliber on the barrel allowing would allow one to change uppers (calibers) and still be legal.

The assembled SBR would have all the required information per statute. Maker, City/State and caliber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as ALL of the required information is there, you can change uppers whenever you want.  Once that lower has a stamp, you can use ANY upper on it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#28]
There are a number if things I don't do in life.

1. I don't fill out trip tickets.
2. I don't get dog licenses.
3. I don't engrave form 1's.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I would not want to be the test case
for the ATF if caught with an SBR with no caliber engraved on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not want to be the test case
for the ATF if caught with an SBR with no caliber engraved on it.

I also don't want to get struck by lightning but guess who goes out when it looks like rain.

The number of deaths by lightning strike per year are an order of magnitude greater then engraving violations, 922r, etc.

Lighting is the real issue most of you guys need to worry about.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also has to be visible, so having a 4" barrel within a 5" rail, doesn't really help to have the caliber markings on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It also has to be visible, so having a 4" barrel within a 5" rail, doesn't really help to have the caliber markings on the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is engraved in-line with vent holes in the handguard, so it can be seen through the handguard. Technically, it's engraved. I really could care less.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course, I've never seen an AR-15 barrel that doesn't have the caliber stamped on it... They may exist, but I've never seen one...

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Probably more of a case of losing markings when cutting down a barrel. That's the only time it happened to me...cutting a 16" Bison 6.8 to 12" and lost the markings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course, I've never seen an AR-15 barrel that doesn't have the caliber stamped on it... They may exist, but I've never seen one...

Probably more of a case of losing markings when cutting down a barrel. That's the only time it happened to me...cutting a 16" Bison 6.8 to 12" and lost the markings.

Some barrels' markings are more useful than others.  For example, RRA's old system had the caliber, chamber, rifling twist and barrel material marked on the barrel.  ---  Over the chamber.  ---  In a 3-character code.  

Mine said "N 9 A", which stands for "NATO Chamber" (obviously 5.56mm NATO), 1:9 twist, alloy (versus stainless or chrome lined) barrel.  So there are barrels out there that are "marked," but not in a way that's clear, obvious, and unambiguous.  

And as I implied earlier, a LOT of new barrels are laser etched, not stamped, with the usual information.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I think the funniest for me was realizing that my CMMG MK9 9mm lower doesn't have any caliber markings. Like I could use it for anything else...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top