Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2016 1:17:28 AM EDT
I have had a local lawyer set up a  trust for me but I have a few technical -not legal- questions I am hoping you folks can help with.

I'm building a 9mm pistol for now.  Once I get my stamp approved this will become an SBR.

1) I'm considering an 8" barrel.  What will be the overall length?  

2) Will any pistol buffer tube work for a 9mm build?

3) I know a specialized 9mm buffer spring/buffer are required.  Any recommendations on who makes parts that work reliably?

3) I'm considering just building the upper from parts since it seems so hard to find complete uppers especially with M-LOC hand-guards. Will I need to headspace this or do  the pistol parts just match?  I've watched some videos on 9mm builds and they didn't mention head spacing.

4) If building requires headspacing or is just too hard for the non-professional, can you recommend a complete upper (with bolt, etc) that works well?

Edit to add #5

5) Do you recommend using a Glock mag setup, or Colt mag?  Why?

Not trying to be pushy as I know I'm new here, but I need the length question asap as I need to get the forms filed as soon as I can.

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to give.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have had a local lawyer set up a  trust for me but I have a few technical -not legal- questions I am hoping you folks can help with.

I'm building a 9mm pistol for now.  Once I get my stamp approved this will become an SBR.

1) I'm considering an 8" barrel.  What will be the overall length?  General rule of thumb for OAL is 19" plus barrel length. 19" is common length of upper receiver with collapsible butt stock in fully extended position. So for your form1 you would use 27" for OAL with an 8" barrel. You can also determine this by measuring if you want to make sure-just be sure to have whatever butt stock you are using fully extended.

2) Will any pistol buffer tube work for a 9mm build? If you are going to SBR it you would want to use a rifle buffer tube, spring, and buffer. While you are waiting for your stamp you can use any pistol buffer tube assembly if you want to be able to shoot it while you wait for your stamp comes in. And any one should work for you.

3) I know a specialized 9mm buffer spring/buffer are required.  Any recommendations on who makes parts that work reliably? If you buy a pistol buffer assembly, it comes with the spring and buffer. You can use any pistol buffer assembly that you choose. I have used ones from Ace, Phase 5, and radical firearms.

3) I'm considering just building the upper from parts since it seems so hard to find complete uppers especially with M-LOC hand-guards. Will I need to headspace this or do  the pistol parts just match?  I've watched some videos on 9mm builds and they didn't mention head spacing. Usually headspacing is not required if you buy a 9mm bolt. The bolt is designed to lock up with the barrel and is ramped (has cut along bottom) to work properly in the upper. Depending on what lower you use, you may have to change out your hammer for a 9mm hammer to work with it.

4) If building requires headspacing or is just too hard for the non-professional, can you recommend a complete upper (with bolt, etc) that works well? I built mine using a spike's upper, 4.5" 1/2x28 threaded barrel from ADCO, and a ramped 9mm bolt from CMMG, but there are many companies that build complete uppers like Rock river, and PSA. Depends on what lower you decide to go with which is your question #5.

Edit to add #5

5) Do you recommend using a Glock mag setup, or Colt mag?  Why? Really depends on what you want to go with. If you have a lot of glock mags, then you can go with a dedicated lower for glock mags like the one from lone wolf, and there are others. PSA has a glock lower now as well. If you go with colt or uzi mags, then you will need to get a 9mm magwell block for the mags to work with a standard lower and you may also have to change out the bolt catch to a 9mm catch. With this setup you can always convert the lower back to a 556 lower if you decide you no longer want to shoot 9mm through it.

Not trying to be pushy as I know I'm new here, but I need the length question asap as I need to get the forms filed as soon as I can.

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to give.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
in addition to the excellent answers from Mav3rick... if you want a last round bolt hold open, the Colt/Uzi style mags are designed to operate an AR style catch... the Glock mags are designed to work with a pistol slide stop and typically need specifically designed upper to work with them, at additional expense... my New Frontier Armory complete lower was around $280.... the buffer/spring assembly matched well with their modular bolt... good ejection patter without and screwing with it... I built mine for USPSA pistol caliber carbine so has a 16" barrel
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
in addition to the excellent answers from Mav3rick... if you want a last round bolt hold open, the Colt/Uzi style mags are designed to operate an AR style catch... the Glock mags are designed to work with a pistol slide stop and typically need specifically designed upper to work with them, at additional expense... my New Frontier Armory complete lower was around $280.... the buffer/spring assembly matched well with their modular bolt... good ejection patter without and screwing with it... I built mine for USPSA pistol caliber carbine so has a 16" barrel
View Quote

Thanks lasnyder. OP's questions were a lot of mine when I first set out to build my 9mm AR. I got a lot of help from the community here so I always strive to return the favor.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice, info I was looking for.

Just to add one more Q

Mav you said rifle buffer for the 9mm build, does that mean a1/a2 length or will the carbine tubes still be gtg with a 9mm buffer?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Most will use a standard carbine spring and a heavy 9mm specific (longer) buffer such as the one from spikes. You do NOT use a rifle length buffer/spring

Slash heavy buffers is another option however much more expensive.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice, info I was looking for.

Just to add one more Q

... the carbine tubes still be gtg with a 9mm buffer?
View Quote

Correct. I meant to say carbine.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#7]
The length of a 9mm barrel is about .5" shorter than stated typically.  An 8" barrel will come out to about 7.5" from the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The length of a 9mm barrel is about .5" shorter than stated typically.  An 8" barrel will come out to about 7.5" from the receiver.
View Quote

+1
The 9mm barrel stick further in to the receiver compared to 5.56.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top