Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 10:32:49 AM EDT
Im planning a road trip this summer. Texas to Oregon. I want to bring my SBR & Suppressor.
What ATF form for traveling with the SBR? I do not need additional papers for my silencer?

How long is it taking to receive the travel form and how long are they good for?

TX,NM,AZ,NV,UT,OR

This will be my first time to travel with NFA.

Thanks

Bishop3

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll need a separate one for each state. They're good for up to a year. Anything from 1/1-12/31, or something random like 5/26/16-5/25/17.
View Quote

Just to verify, I need them for my destination state and not states I drive through correct?  I live in GA and my parents live in LA who are on my trust, I want to bring my SBR with me this winter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That should be the case. The Safe Passage portion of FOPA covers the trip itself.  However, it generally is only used as a defense, so you may or may not trust it going through IL, NY, etc. Can't imagine an issue traveling from GA to LA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll need a separate one for each state. They're good for up to a year. Anything from 1/1-12/31, or something random like 5/26/16-5/25/17.

Just to verify, I need them for my destination state and not states I drive through correct?  I live in GA and my parents live in LA who are on my trust, I want to bring my SBR with me this winter.

That should be the case. The Safe Passage portion of FOPA covers the trip itself.  However, it generally is only used as a defense, so you may or may not trust it going through IL, NY, etc. Can't imagine an issue traveling from GA to LA.
Ok,  on the Form do put my trust name and address and if so do I need to provide a copy of the Trust? Or is it easier to just use my name?

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I will be filing out multiple forms one for each state I'm traveling through.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I may need a little more assistance filing out this form. I don't have a specific transporting to address. This will be a road trip vacation I may decide camp out, sleep in my truck or stay in a hotel? Reason is for recreational use. Then the date, I could write a date up to a year of time? I know silly questions. But I just want to hit the road and see places I've never seen and have the freedom to bring, use my SBR on public land etc.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
This is why I like the idea of having a pistol lower ready to go.

For trips, just slap my sbr upper on there and go.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is why I like the idea of having a pistol lower ready to go.

For trips, just slap my sbr upper on there and go.
View Quote

But then you don't have a stock and it's cumbersome to shoot in that configuration.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
One option is to travel with two firearms

1) The Pistol that you keep the short upper on.
2) The SBR that you keep the 16" or greater barrel on while traveling.

File one 5320.20 for your destination address.

While traveling leave the long barrel on the SBR, once you get there, swap it with the Pistol.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One option is to travel with two firearms

1) The Pistol that you keep the short upper on.
2) The SBR that you keep the 16" or greater barrel on while traveling.

File one 5320.20 for your destination address.

While traveling leave the long barrel on the SBR, once you get there, swap it with the Pistol.
View Quote

Or just fill out multiple forms with gun range in that state that you will be near. It only cost paper and a stamp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top