Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2016 9:13:24 AM EDT
I was considering taking on a sbr project and am trying to find a good host. I was looking for a smaller pistol cal 9mm, 40, 45.
I have always loved and wanted the Mp5's from growing up watching old Segal, Schwarzenegger type war movies. I've never actually shot one before and with such a heavy price tag I never thought I be able to own one until I came across the pof mp5.
I was going to settle with the evo mainly because the price. I really like the sig MPX but I can't justify the $1500 price tag and the parts for it seem to be well above average.
Do any one have experience with the Pakistani pof mp5 clone? I know there are a few different clones out there but most of the reviews aren't very good and the ones I found were approaching $1500.

What I'm looking for is doing a sbr in a pistol cal with a suppressor. Mainly just for a range toy and home defense.  
Are there any other platforms I should consider? Any options or opinions are welcome.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with an MP5 clone, I was not very impressed by the new CZ Scorpion or Sig MPX. I think the Mp5 is still the best SMG on the market.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it depends on what will make you smile the most.

The MP5 is a classic pattern, and if that look is what will make you smile, I don't think you will be happy with something else. I was able to get some range time with the Zenith MP5 clone, and it's a great choice. It will run you about $1500 - but it is well made and functions very well.

I've only held the SIG. I was not crazy about the AR style charging handle on something as small as a SMG, but if you really like the feel of the AR platform, it's a good option.

I went with the CZ. Things that made it right for me...

Simplicity - You can field strip it in just seconds without tools.
Cost - Under $800 out the door. Factory mags are under $20
Aftermarket support - Probably because it is more affordable, there is a bunch of aftermarket support for it, and more jumping in all the time.
Ergonomics - All of the controls just work for me, and I like the fact it has a bolt hold open after the last round (unlike the HK pattern).

So - pick the things that make you smile - if you can, try them out on the range before you buy.

Good luck,
Bob S.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want the mp5 clone I would go with the zenith line (I'm thinking of picking one up myself). I already have a tricked out EVO, and by time you start adding accessories you'll be close in price. I'm also working on a AR9 that will be close in price also. So IMO when you get everything you want, in the end there's not going to be that big of a price gap as you think.

Always factor your magazines into the price also, that makes a huge difference( I like to have 10 minimum per gun).
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a MP-5 clone and a Scorpion on the way, and although I like the Scorpion, the MP-5 is still my favorite
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I am still hot on the debate between an MP5K and chopping an MPX down to 5". Either will be a host for an Omega 9K.
I've flipped more coins and made more pros/con charts than I can count.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Get all 3

I have a MP5 and the CZ sbr'd and the 'mechanics' are very similar making it easy to switch between the two.

The MP5 is a classic and I don't think you could go wrong choosing it for that reason alone. Both are fun to shoot and cheap to feed.

Have fun with whatever gun you choose and get out and shoot it!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
It all depends on what you are after. I don't have the CZ, but can chime in on the MP5 vs MPX debate.

I have a TPM made MP5-SD and I LOVE it. I also have an SBR'd Gen 2 MPX. I can honestly say that the MPX is a better firearm in every measurable way.

However, the MP5-SD get more "attention" when I take friends shooting. There is just something nostalgic about shooting an MP5 that get everyone all warm and fuzzy inside.      

If this is a range toy only, I'd go MP5. If this is something that you plan to use more for self-defense/hunting or training with then I would look at either the MPX or CZ.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It all depends on what you are after. I don't have the CZ, but can chime in on the MP5 vs MPX debate.

I have a TPM made MP5-SD and I LOVE it. I also have an SBR'd Gen 2 MPX. I can honestly say that the MPX is a better firearm in every measurable way.

However, the MP5-SD get more "attention" when I take friends shooting. There is just something nostalgic about shooting an MP5 that get everyone all warm and fuzzy inside.      

If this is a range toy only, I'd go MP5. If this is something that you plan to use more for self-defense/hunting or training with then I would look at either the MPX or CZ.
View Quote

Ok but since when is a well built MP5 not a better choice for a self/home defense gun than a CZ Scorpion? That's not a world I think I want to live in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Friend bought a scorpion, it shoots fine but I'm not a fan of the plastic feel. I picked up a gen 2 MPX, if you watch gunbroker you can find some good deals. Few sites have various stocks, when you register it with Sig they'll give you a 20% off code.
Isn't the pof $1500? I'd personally take the Sig over those choices, if going with a high end clone of the mp5 like some have suggested it would be a harder decision.. But then again you could probably have ampx SBR + optic+can for the same price as high end clone..
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with the MP5K clone after having this very question
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I went with the CZ. Things that made it right for me...

Simplicity - You can field strip it in just seconds without tools.
Cost - Under $800 out the door. Factory mags are under $20
Aftermarket support - Probably because it is more affordable, there is a bunch of aftermarket support for it, and more jumping in all the time.
Ergonomics - All of the controls just work for me, and I like the fact it has a bolt hold open after the last round (unlike the HK pattern).
Good luck,
Bob S.
View Quote

I also went CZ for the same reasons as Bob. Plus it is pretty sweet looking.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok but since when is a well built MP5 not a better choice for a self/home defense gun than a CZ Scorpion? That's not a world I think I want to live in.
View Quote

OK, fair point.

I have no experience with the CZ Scorpion. I will say this though, if my someone broke into my house and my MP5 and MPX were both laying next to me, I am grabbing the MPX 100% of the time.

The platform makes it much easier to mount optics, etc. My MPX has a forward grip, Aimpoint T2, CQBL, and a Surefire M300V. It is hard to mount a light to an MP5 (at least the SD) and have a good way of switching it.

When I leave my wife and daughter home alone the wife has a P226 and MPX next to her bedside table. Hard to have much more faith in a gun than trusting it to protect your wife and daughter.

Also, all MP5's are "picky" with ammo. The MPX feeds everything no questions asked. MP5's can be finicky with hollow points.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I thought the mp5 clones were in the $1000 range but there closer to the mpx as far as price. I'd be all over the mpx if the batf didn't make them do away with the "monolithic muzzle brake" that was originally designed. That and the cost of accessories and mags were still pretty high and limited the last I looked but might of changed by now.
I'm definitely going to have to do a little comparison shopping before I make my decision but I think the mp5 is going to be the winner just because well its a mp5.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:08:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Scorpion easily. Great ergonomics, lights and red dots easily mountable, aftermarket support, inexpensive mag prices, eats literally everything I've run through it,and once my stamp comes in and I can get a stock it will be the house duty gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:19:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Scorpion hands down. Expanding aftermarket, fun to shoot and eats Tula/Wolf like a whale at a buffet. Already have another one on order.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1... this...

I have an MP5 clone that I love... I want an MP5SD more than anything, but the price tag kills me on it... the next best thing I can think of would be running a can underneath the handguards on a sig mpx cut down to 4.5 inches.... the MP5SD "look" achieved with some modern ergonomics... its my next purchase honestly...

But Rainbow Six was all the range in 1996 when I was a kid and I just finished the audio book again for the third time... so H&K firearms will always have a special place for me... Hell, I even have a Beretta 8045 because of that damn book... ;)

Either way man... you cant go wrong with an H&K style gun period, especially if you grew up in the 80s/90s....
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+1... this...

I have an MP5 clone that I love... I want an MP5SD more than anything, but the price tag kills me on it... the next best thing I can think of would be running a can underneath the handguards on a sig mpx cut down to 4.5 inches.... the MP5SD "look" achieved with some modern ergonomics... its my next purchase honestly...

But Rainbow Six was all the range in 1996 when I was a kid and I just finished the audio book again for the third time... so H&K firearms will always have a special place for me... Hell, I even have a Beretta 8045 because of that damn book... ;)

Either way man... you cant go wrong with an H&K style gun period, especially if you grew up in the 80s/90s....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1... this...

Debated the same thing and being a child of the '80's I always wanted a HK.  Ended up getting Zenith Z-5P.  If I can come up with the scratch, I'll still get the Scorpion.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I have all 3, MP5K would be my choice because of weight.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been debating all this myself. Bought a Omega 9k this weekend. On the look for a Scorpion Evo to SBR.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a MPX SBR and a Zenith MP5 clone waiting for a stamp.

The CZ seems like the best suppressor host and is easily the most economical, but I can't get over the looks.  

The MPX is great to shoot and has been 100% reliable.  As others mentioned, the modern ergos and eventual configuration ease makes it really attractive.  The MP5 clone is absolutely the first gun I shoot at the range though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got a MP-5 clone and a Scorpion on the way, and although I like the Scorpion, the MP-5 is still my favorite
View Quote

I have a Scorpion and an MP-5 clone on the way
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I have all three. The MPX is the best of the bunch as far as control ergonomics and much better with an aftermarket trigger. However Sig's shennangans with Gen1 and Gen2 and their inability to give definitive answers on the platform have soured me on them.

The Scorpion is the least expensive but the large bolt is definitely noisy.

If I had to have one, it would be the MP5.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
OK, fair point.

I have no experience with the CZ Scorpion. I will say this though, if my someone broke into my house and my MP5 and MPX were both laying next to me, I am grabbing the MPX 100% of the time.

The platform makes it much easier to mount optics, etc. My MPX has a forward grip, Aimpoint T2, CQBL, and a Surefire M300V. It is hard to mount a light to an MP5 (at least the SD) and have a good way of switching it.

When I leave my wife and daughter home alone the wife has a P226 and MPX next to her bedside table. Hard to have much more faith in a gun than trusting it to protect your wife and daughter.

Also, all MP5's are "picky" with ammo. The MPX feeds everything no questions asked. MP5's can be finicky with hollow points.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, fair point.

I have not had any issues with my MP5 being "picky" with ammo.  I have run pretty much the gamut of ammo in it from cheap aluminum cased FMJ to +P HP ammo without ammo related issues.  That includes both semi and full auto.  I use a Surefire forend for the light and mount an Aimpoint in a claw mount when I want to use an optic.  Here is my MP5 host with registered sear.

That being said, I think any of them are quality guns and will fill the purpose adequately.  It is just a matter of personal preference.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top