Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 10:07:14 AM EDT
To summarize - I had a DD 14.5 pinned upper with a TA31F ACOG. This past winter I decided to SBR both my AR lowers. When my stamps came back, I sold the pinned DD upper.

I currently have a 10.5" DSG upper with a Geissele MK4 rail, and Troy BUIS. I also have an AAC 300 BO 9" with a seekins 10" MCSR. The 300  upper is fun, but not really a 'go to' emergency type rifle.

Im looking to understand my best options for finishing these two SBR Lowers.  

For the 10.5 I am thinking of rebarreling it to 11.5 using a Faxon 11.5 Big Gunner, and putting a micro dot on it. I am reading 10.5 is a poor choice? The Geissele rail is the 9.5 MK4 version, and seems like it wouild work well with an 11.5. I could sell the 10.5 Seekins barrel as it's new.

I would like to build a 'primary' carbine around my TA31F ACOG. I love this optic and am confident with it. I dont really have a desire for a 16" rifle now that I have a couple registered lowers.

Should I ditch the whole 10.5/11.5 concept and build a 12.5 for my acog only? Or would it be better to run the ACOG on a 14.5 and set up the shorter barrel as 10.5 /11/5 for a micro?

I want a 'go to' rifle that I can run my pending F1 suppressor (6.5") on, and run from 25yd to 300, with the ability to be successful at 500 in a pinch. (ACOG)  Im not so much looking for a PDW, as I have that in other guns, which are purpose built PDWs.  Im worried that a 12.5 inch rifle will not work well with my acog and be too bulky with a suppressor. I realize I cant have one rifle to do everything, but I feel like I am not doing this right with 10.5 and 14.5. Looking for advice for those who have more technical experience with what the best setups are. I dont want to waste $ on stuff I will regret.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
1. The 10.5 isn't a bad choice. It is a compromise of velocity for maneuverability. It will still have good performance up close with proper ammo selection, and you can still hit targets at a decent range.

2. There is no rule that a 10.3/10.5/11.5 must have a red dot on it. You could use your Acog on your 10.5 if you wanted. I planning on moving my TA-33 to my 11.5 soon.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Should I ditch the whole 10.5/11.5 concept and build a 12.5 for my acog only? Or would it be better to run the ACOG on a 14.5 and set up the shorter barrel as 10.5 /11/5 for a micro?

View Quote

Why not use an acog on the 10.5"?  Look at the mk18 thread, if it wasn't effective socom units wouldn't be using it.  

I have taken big hogs with a 10.5" barreled AR pistol, and thousands of dead terrorists approve  of that length (10.3").
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy ammo and go shooting man.
I doubt seriously the acog holdovers are going to work perfect for anything but what that model was designed for.

That said you can shoot at 500 with a 10.5"  we do it regularly.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
so the 10.5 / 11.5 is OK with the ACOG, and I should just ditch the idea of a 12.5 or 14.5 all together?

ETA - let me ask this - if I do say, an 11.5 (Im not fond of the barrel I have) what am I giving up in terms of velocity / ability vs a 14.5 at 300 yards ?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

so the 10.5 / 11.5 is OK with the ACOG, and I should just ditch the idea of a 12.5 or 14.5 all together?

ETA - let me ask this - if I do say, an 11.5 (Im not fond of the barrel I have) what am I giving up in terms of velocity / ability vs a 14.5 at 300 yards ?

View Quote

You will obviously loose some velocity with the shorter barrel.  How much depends on the round of course.

A 10.5-11.5" barrel shooting common ammo like m193 and m855 type loads should still be above 2500 fps or so at the muzzle, and can still provide effective hits on target out to 300yds, of course, with the lower muzzle velocity, your hold-over to reach that range will be greater than with a longer barrel.  As such, the subtentions on your scope's reticle will correspond to different ranges that it would with the 14.5" barrel

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC, the BDC in the TA31F is set up for M855 out of a 14.5" barrel. You cab still use the BDC for other ammo/barrel combinations, but you will need to memorize the relation of the BDC to impacts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
To summarize - I had a DD 14.5 pinned upper with a TA31F ACOG. This past winter I decided to SBR both my AR lowers. When my stamps came back, I sold the pinned DD upper.

I currently have a 10.5" DSG upper with a Geissele MK4 rail, and Troy BUIS. I also have an AAC 300 BO 9" with a seekins 10" MCSR. The 300  upper is fun, but not really a 'go to' emergency type rifle.

Im looking to understand my best options for finishing these two SBR Lowers.  

For the 10.5 I am thinking of rebarreling it to 11.5 using a Faxon 11.5 Big Gunner, and putting a micro dot on it. I am reading 10.5 is a poor choice? The Geissele rail is the 9.5 MK4 version, and seems like it wouild work well with an 11.5. I could sell the 10.5 Seekins barrel as it's new.

I would like to build a 'primary' carbine around my TA31F ACOG. I love this optic and am confident with it. I dont really have a desire for a 16" rifle now that I have a couple registered lowers.

I want a 'go to' rifle that I can run my pending F1 suppressor (6.5") on, and run from 25yd to 300, with the ability to be successful at 500 in a pinch. (ACOG)  Im not so much looking for a PDW, as I have that in other guns, which are purpose built PDWs.  Im worried that a 12.5 inch rifle will not work well with my acog and be too bulky with a suppressor. I realize I cant have one rifle to do everything, but I feel like I am not doing this right with 10.5 and 14.5. Looking for advice for those who have more technical experience with what the best setups are. I dont want to waste $ on stuff I will regret.
View Quote

As a go to rifle from 0-300 yd you will be just fine with a 10.5/11.5. There are some really great rounds like the barnes TSX that will perform well at those distances. Although 500 is stretching it for 5.56 with a short barrel.  Keep in mind that a 10.5" can be just as accurate as a 16". The only difference will be the 16" will get some extra velocity to keep it more stable, longer.

As for an acog....I don't see an issue with using it. I have really started to shy away from reflex sights on my rifles. I prefer some type of magnification and find that a 4x prism optic works really well out to 300 yards...while a red dot starts to suffer at 100+. I'm not saying you can't make good hits, but I like the extra magnification for target ID and scanning
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive become very comfortable with my acog

So if the faxon 11.5 barrel (I dont like the barrel I have - I want to rebuild the upper with higher quality parts as it will be my prime carbine) is a middy gas, don't people say 11.5 middy gas barrels arent combat reliable? Specifically BCM has mentioned that here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_138/174764__Q__Why_BCM_chose_the_11_5andamp_quot__SBR_over_the_10_5andamp_quot__.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So if the faxon 11.5 barrel (I dont like the barrel I have - I want to rebuild the upper with higher quality parts as it will be my prime carbine) is a middy gas, don't people say 11.5 middy gas barrels arent combat reliable? Specifically BCM has mentioned that here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_138/174764__Q__Why_BCM_chose_the_11_5andamp_quot__SBR_over_the_10_5andamp_quot__.html
View Quote
There are no 11.5 middy gas barrels. The mid length gas system is too short. 12.5" is the shortest you practically can go on a middy.

And the 11.5 and 10.3/5 inch barrels are very reliable and are in use all over the world with domestic and foreign armed forces. Colt CQBR and Commando come to mind.

Just build what you want man, don't over analyze it. Maybe this will help:

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#13]
There are no 11.5 middy gas barrels.

View Quote

The faxon is mid? Or am I confused?

Just when I think I know what I am leaning toward wanting
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Why would you not go 300 blackout? It's the perfect sbr round. 0-300 yrds with 8-10" of barrel all day long. Cost of ammo is really only talking point for negativity but Ozark puts out some quality ammo in the .39-.42 c/rd that is very accurate. I have used roughly 1500+ rounds from them with absolutely NO issues. Toss a can on that thing and it can't be beat for a carbine.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why would you not go 300 blackout? It's the perfect sbr round. 0-300 yrds with 8-10" of barrel all day long. Cost of ammo is really only talking point for negativity but Ozark puts out some quality ammo in the .39-.42 c/rd that is very accurate. I have used roughly 1500+ rounds from them with absolutely NO issues. Toss a can on that thing and it can't be beat for a carbine.

View Quote

Already have a 300 BO. This is a different animal. I want a 556, go to SBR I can trust my life to when ammo might be an issue for the 300BO, or I simply dont want to use it. Besides the 300 is a budget build. While cost is a concern to me here, I'd like the best value for my money while being a deployable weapon
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We tend not to dispute other companies assertions, but in this we disagree (otherwise we would not have made it).

Yes, it has less dwell time but function is a combination of volume/pressure and dwell. One can compensate for for short dwell by volume. When as manufacturer you have to choose one gas port size, its easier to create something "combat reliable" by going to the setting with the largest functional window or carbine gas for the 10.5" barrels.

This is why we made the barrel with a purposefully large gas port and encourage customers to use an adjustable gas block. In short, shoot with the weakest ammo you can find, set the gas and one has a "combat reliable" weapon.

I personally run one of these in my own home defense carbine. I would trust my own life to it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We tend not to dispute other companies assertions, but in this we disagree (otherwise we would not have made it).

Yes, it has less dwell time but function is a combination of volume/pressure and dwell. One can compensate for for short dwell by volume. When as manufacturer you have to choose one gas port size, its easier to create something "combat reliable" by going to the setting with the largest functional window or carbine gas for the 10.5" barrels.

This is why we made the barrel with a purposefully large gas port and encourage customers to use an adjustable gas block. In short, shoot with the weakest ammo you can find, set the gas and one has a "combat reliable" weapon.

I personally run one of these in my own home defense carbine. I would trust my own life to it.

nathan please dont take this wrong - its a question not a 'shot' - but, how does using a (or needing ) an adjustable gas block make a combat reliable arm, on a weapon system that isnt really designed to use one? Wouldnt something that runs on a standard gas block be the better choice?

Also - where does the gas opening lie on the 11.5? I will be running a 9.5 Geissele rail, would that cover the gas block on the 11.5 faxon? It seems like my gas block would be exposed by .5 inches or so? Im not sure of thasts a good or bad thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It is a mid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are no 11.5 middy gas barrels.

The faxon is mid? Or am I confused?

Just when I think I know what I am leaning toward wanting

It is a mid.

Well, I stand corrected, off to go learn something new.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Innovative Arms W.A.R upper & a quality 10.5" - 11.5" barrel with pinned gas block will be my SHTF sbr build.

You've already got the Geissele rail and ACOG, so use them.  I sure as hell would if I had them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I ran a TA31 on both a 10.5 and 12.5 to see which had a closer correspondence to the BDC.

The 12.5 did better but at the end of the day it was hard to hit the small steel swingers at 300 & 500.

Moved to a MRAD 1-4x and being able to dial MILS is superior IMO.

For point shooting at a human sized target the acog will be gtg - I just wanted a little more precision. Strelok will show you the hash mark point if you have the ballistics for your load and barrels.  Example the 400 strata line actually equals 374 yards and so forth.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
nathan please dont take this wrong - its a question not a 'shot' - but, how does using a (or needing ) an adjustable gas block make a combat reliable arm, on a weapon system that isnt really designed to use one? Wouldnt something that runs on a standard gas block be the better choice?

Also - where does the gas opening lie on the 11.5? I will be running a 9.5 Geissele rail, would that cover the gas block on the 11.5 faxon?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also - where does the gas opening lie on the 11.5? I will be running a 9.5 Geissele rail, would that cover the gas block on the 11.5 faxon?

If you're not taking it into combat, don't worry about combat reliability. Those barrels get worn out, and over time the gas posts open up from use and start to affect the recoil characteristics of the rifle. But that's after several thousand dollars worth of ammo, so you can just buy a new barrel by then. If you truly want combat reliability you are left with 10.3" carbine, 14.5" carbine, and 20" rifle. Those are the combat proven barrel configs in the US military. I think there are s few 16" carbines in use, but not many, and Colt Canada also makes the C8 in 16" carbine for some countries.

11.5 mid, who'd have guessed? Neat.

Okay, I'll give my unsolicited opinion. Like a 16 inch rifle gas system barrel, the 11.5 mid is not for a beginner or average user. It is for someone who either already possesses the knowledge, or has the will to learn about how to tune a rifle to a specific set of parameters. If you are going to shoot one kind of ammo, all the time, set up the 11.5 mid by testing it in various conditions (clean, dirty, different mags, etc.) to make sure it functions with your ammo of choice. It's a specialized application.

If you want to buy a barrel that works with many different kinds of ammo, with or without a silencer, dirty or clean, and don't want to fuss with it, get a barrel that is designed to function under a wide range of a parameters. Generally these are seen as 14.5" Carbine, 16" Mid, or 20" Rifle gas systems.

But since you want a shorty (nothing wrong with that!) it's carbine gas system for you. The longer the barrel is past the gas port, the easier it will be to function with various ammo and conditions and the less recoil it will have, generally speaking. 11.5-12.5 carbine is a great choice. They are still fairly short, and as long as they are from a good maker (with proper gas port) they will run 100% of the time unless neglected for tens of thousands of rounds. Because of the larger gas port required on a 10.3/5, the recoil has a bit more snap, but they are also very reliable from a good maker. 12.5 will be closest to your ACOG BDC, but how often will you shoot past 300 yds?

And let's be forthcoming here. Most people have more than one upper, so you can have all the lengths you want as long as you have enough time/money.

If I were you I'd go with 11.5" carbine.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Past 300? Rarely. But it would be fun and nice to be able to hit at that range.

Im awful tempted to go with a 11.5 BCM and sell this stuff I have. I like the geissele 9.5 rail though. I'm also not 100 % sold on BCM. Im sure they run great but thats almost DD money,. and I trusted my life to my DD - but it was useless to me with a pinned FH - I got wehat I paid for it so I am starting anew.

I spent the money on the ACOG for a reason, and I need a good SBR upper to match. Will I run suppressed all the time? No. Can I tune a rifle? Yes. (I have a 300 BO and develop loads for it, and tune it with a seekins adjustable and the right loads) Do I need the thing to run on any ammo I might have to put thru it? What good is a go to rifle if you can't?

No I wont be deploying with the rifle. But god forbid something bad happens for an extended amount of time, and I need a rifle that runs on any 5.56 I throw down it. I need this build to be it. I might not have access to 'my ammo'

The lower is milspec, and will have a Magpul CTR, and Geissele G2S. (unless I put my MBT in it)

I really like the idea of the 11.5 length. Im not opposed to 12.5, but the inch might be nice with the can.

I have a problem with the price of those BCM barrels. It seems like the fall-off of price vs return is past on those, given the results with the faxons. But the mid gas system and need for an adjustable gas block seems to possibly be counterproductive for what I am trying to build? I don't know. Then again maybe I am overthinking the gas block. It might make the rifle a pleasant shooter, and setting it with the crappiest , weakest ammo you have might ensure reliability. Also my gas block would partialy be exposed because my SMR is 9.5".

The faxon is under $150. The BCM is double that price. I find it highly unlikely that the BCM would out perform the Faxon at the 2:1 ratio of price.  Then again, if I have to buy a 100.00 SLR adjustable gas block to run the faxon, what am I saving?

I appreciate everyone's opinion  - this has been a very informative discussion for sure so far.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Another option for a lower priced barrel is Ballistic Advantage.  Lots of really good reviews on their barrels.  I'm patiently waiting for the11.5" Modern Series to come back in stock.  They also have a 12.5" if you're leaning that direction.  The reason why I'm waiting for them to get the 11.5" in stock vs ordering from one of the vendors that carries them is you can get a pinned low profile gas block for an extra $40 when ordered direct from them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Lots of companies offer good 11.5" barrels, why limit yourself to those two brands?

Stag, Ballistic Advantage, VooDoo, Spikes, Green Mountain, Colt, DD, PSA, Del-Ton, just to name a few.

I think you need to narrow down what you want instead of trying to condense what's available.

If you like 11.5", set a features and price goal and then make a selection.

Sometimes I will do a search in the Equipment Exchange here, for instance "11.5" and see what pops up. Lots of good deals to be had.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Ive thought about BA, but faxon seems to get better reviews, and mnore of them, when thinking of affordable barrels.

Their 'if you arent happy' is also better than a '3 shot at moa under x conditions' guarantee.

I have a BA (Aero) on my M5E1. I havent got to shoot it yet. I have heard anecdotes, but not seen much in terms of paper proof.

I have not ruled out BA at all either. Nor FN / PSA etc.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lots of companies offer good 11.5" barrels, why limit yourself to those two brands?

Stag, Ballistic Advantage, VooDoo, Spikes, Green Mountain, Colt, DD, PSA, Del-Ton, just to name a few.

I think you need to narrow down what you want instead of trying to condense what's available.

If you like 11.5", set a features and price goal and then make a selection.

Sometimes I will do a search in the Equipment Exchange here, for instance "11.5" and see what pops up. Lots of good deals to be had.

View Quote

Not a fan of Spikes, or delton and Stag. BA is on the list - kind of - Colt tests have been good lately on the 14.5. DD I trust, but Id probably just buy an upper whole from them again if I went DD again.

Im not really limiting myself. not at all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:54:37 AM EDT
[#27]
The biggest question is what are you going to use the rifle for.  Seems to me you are looking to build what I call a Urban Combat Rifle.  Something that works up to 300 yards effectively.  I know that the DD 10.3 was made and I am sure that some Special Operations group had some requirement that the barrel and supressor had to be a short as possible without limiting combat effectiveness out to a certain range.  BCM has their own opinion that 11.5 is the best running barrel for a SBR.

As far as the adjustable gas block goes there are 2 trains of thought ... 1...great for fine tuning a weapon system...2....Just another part to fail.  As far as why the military doesn't use a adjustable gas block is keeping training to a kiss principle.  It has to be trainable to a person who has never touched a weapon before so the less movable/adjustable parts the better.  Also the military is firing lot ammo ... it should be pretty consistent.  By having a adjustable gas block you can fire all types of ammo from really strong to really weak loaded stuff.    Some people will chime in and say Mr. Stoner didn't design it with a adjustable gas block so it doesn't need it.  I believe the forward assist wasn't in his design but was a after thought from the military.

For some family issues I have put on the back burner 3 builds... they are all SBR's 2 are 10.5 in 5.56 and one is a 8 inch 300 blackout.  I have all the parts for the builds and someone has the barrels for me.  I don't want to have a constructive intent issue.  In the future for my last build I want to make a pdw 7.5 that will for sure get a adjustable block on it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't picture what I want as an urban carbine. Something more all around. Its also not a pdw. I have 9s or even the 300 for that.

I picture it being more of an intermediate carbine of ideal length that I can suppress without being too bulky and long.

My old 14.5 pinned dd for that bill nicely, save the suppression aspect. I also felt that it was heavier than it needed to be. The govt profile seemed like it wasn't a good fit for me.

The rail did work great when I used my gg&g ultralight bipod.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't picture what I want as an urban carbine. Something more all around. Its also not a pdw. I have 9s or even the 300 for that.

I picture it being more of an intermediate carbine of ideal length that I can suppress without being too bulky and long.

My old 14.5 pinned dd for that bill nicely, save the suppression aspect. I also felt that it was heavier than it needed to be. The govt profile seemed like it wasn't a good fit for me.

The rail did work great when I used my gg&g ultralight bipod.
View Quote

I'm in the process of building a 12.5" upper, for a good all around gun. I think you should give a length like that some thought.
Right now my all around setup is a 10.3" for up close along with another 16" scoped upper.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Ta31 Acog, LaRue mount on a 10.5 Noveske barreled SBR.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread is timely.  

I'm trying to put together a solid "woods/outdoors" SBR.  Something that is bombproof with a magnified optic and a suppressor attached most of the time (AAC Mini-4).  The terrain in my area can go from dense woods to wide open fields very quickly.  I'd like something that can do it all in that environment.

I've got a pinned 14.5 Block II-ish carbine (RIS II FSP) with a TA31 RCO on it but it's a long heavy bitch with the suppressor mounted.

I've also got a 12.5 MicroMOA barrel with Govnah, SLR MLOK rail, and Law Tactical folder I'm working on. I planned to use a 1-4 or 1-6 on it, maybe even something up to 8 or 10 power. It could possibly fill the "woods" role but I'm not sure the durability of everything when compared to something with a fixed FSB, ACOG, and pic rail.  There's something to be said for the simplicity of a fixed FSB and an ACOG when it comes to durability.

For some reason the BCM Kino (12.5) really has caught my attention for this outside general purpose SBR.  I think a Kino with a TA33G-H, Centurion C4 midlength cutout rail, 51T Blackout flash hider, and a Mini-4 would do everything I want.  It would be the same length suppressed as my Block II-ish carbine unsuppressed.  It would also be very durable.  

Only downside to the Kino is that it would be relatively heavy compared to say, a 10.5 or 11.5 with a carbine cutout rail and the same optic.  That's where I can't decide if the extra weight and barrel length is really going to do much for me over a 10 or 11.5.  Plus side is that it would suppress better and also be less blasty unsuppressed compared to the shorter barrels.  

TLDR:  I'm in just about the same boat as OP.

A Kino might be the ticket for me, maybe for OP too?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Honestly you guys think too much. Lol.

Get what you want. Be happy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#33]

You realize you wil also pay the price in weight of a lopro gasblock along with the fsb.
I get the want for a longer sight radius if ur running a red dot and practice irons a lot.

But speaking as someone who scoped a dissy once....... That weight becomes virtually useless.

Quoted:
This thread is timely.  

I'm trying to put together a solid "woods/outdoors" SBR.  Something that is bombproof with a magnified optic and a suppressor attached most of the time (AAC Mini-4).  The terrain in my area can go from dense woods to wide open fields very quickly.  I'd like something that can do it all in that environment.

I've got a pinned 14.5 Block II-ish carbine (RIS II FSP) with a TA31 RCO on it but it's a long heavy bitch with the suppressor mounted.

I've also got a 12.5 MicroMOA barrel with Govnah, SLR MLOK rail, and Law Tactical folder I'm working on. I planned to use a 1-4 or 1-6 on it, maybe even something up to 8 or 10 power. It could possibly fill the "woods" role but I'm not sure the durability of everything when compared to something with a fixed FSB, ACOG, and pic rail.  There's something to be said for the simplicity of a fixed FSB and an ACOG when it comes to durability.

For some reason the BCM Kino (12.5) really has caught my attention for this outside general purpose SBR.  I think a Kino with a TA33G-H, Centurion C4 midlength cutout rail, 51T Blackout flash hider, and a Mini-4 would do everything I want.  It would be the same length suppressed as my Block II-ish carbine unsuppressed.  It would also be very durable.  

Only downside to the Kino is that it would be relatively heavy compared to say, a 10.5 or 11.5 with a carbine cutout rail and the same optic.  That's where I can't decide if the extra weight and barrel length is really going to do much for me over a 10 or 11.5.  Plus side is that it would suppress better and also be less blasty unsuppressed compared to the shorter barrels.  

TLDR:  I'm in just about the same boat as OP.

A Kino might be the ticket for me, maybe for OP too?

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You realize you wil also pay the price in weight of a lopro gasblock along with the fsb.
I get the want for a longer sight radius if ur running a red dot and practice irons a lot.

But speaking as someone who scoped a dissy once....... That weight becomes virtually useless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah.  Seems like most low pro gas blocks are around 2 ounces give or take so it's not a huge penalty but it's there and they do add up.

It's one of those things where looks and the possibility of unlikely scenarios are trumping rationality .  Those Kino's with a cutout rail look awesome and if for whatever reason the optic goes down the longer sight radius is there.  I'm pretty dead set on a fixed front sight post and have long arms so I'll get some use out of that extra real estate. Plus they look awesome, did I say that already?

I really think the extra length with the suppressor is more obnoxious than the added weight.  It'll still be lighter than the 14.5 with RIS II.  Plus, I've carried heavier carbines before.  I don't think 2 ounces will kill me.

Quoted:

Yeah, that's kinda why I think I'm just gonna stick with the Kino idea even though I could go lighter.  I just really want a Kino and sometimes you just have to go with what makes you happy.

Oh, and sorry to hijack your thread OP.  Seemed like we were looking for something with similar capabilities so I figured I'd jump in the discussion.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ta31 Acog, LaRue mount on a 10.5 Noveske barreled SBR.<a href="http://s817.photobucket.com/user/VictorCastle/media/image_zpsfmj2xxw6.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz95/VictorCastle/image_zpsfmj2xxw6.jpeg</a>
View Quote

God thats badass. I have a UBR on my Aero M5E1.

Isnt that heavy for an SBR?

I think I am going to go faxon 11.5 with an adjustable SLR gas block. In fact I was going to order it tonight, but the place I am ordering from is out of stock on set screw .625 SLR blocks, and only has clamp on types.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah.  Seems like most low pro gas blocks are around 2 ounces give or take so it's not a huge penalty but it's there and they do add up.

It's one of those things where looks and the possibility of unlikely scenarios are trumping rationality .  Those Kino's with a cutout rail look awesome and if for whatever reason the optic goes down the longer sight radius is there.  I'm pretty dead set on a fixed front sight post and have long arms so I'll get some use out of that extra real estate. Plus they look awesome, did I say that already?

I really think the extra length with the suppressor is more obnoxious than the added weight.  It'll still be lighter than the 14.5 with RIS II.  Plus, I've carried heavier carbines before.  I don't think 2 ounces will kill me.

<a href="http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/sparky-kb/media/AFG/8fde28ba-87c8-4647-b6a4-ccc7c41f760d_zpsr1zwn67a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/sparky-kb/AFG/8fde28ba-87c8-4647-b6a4-ccc7c41f760d_zpsr1zwn67a.jpg</a>

Yeah, that's kinda why I think I'm just gonna stick with the Kino idea even though I could go lighter.  I just really want a Kino and sometimes you just have to go with what makes you happy.

Oh, and sorry to hijack your thread OP.  Seemed like we were looking for something with similar capabilities so I figured I'd jump in the discussion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/sparky-kb/media/AFG/8fde28ba-87c8-4647-b6a4-ccc7c41f760d_zpsr1zwn67a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/sparky-kb/AFG/8fde28ba-87c8-4647-b6a4-ccc7c41f760d_zpsr1zwn67a.jpg</a>

Quoted:

You arent hijacking man. I strongly considerd a 12.5 myself. But I really do think I want to try 11.5. Im about to build a HK33 SBR in 12.3 anyway. besiides, 12.5 is awful close to 14.5 and I think an 11.5 will balance better for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top