Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 9:06:25 PM EDT
I have two AR SBRs now and a Colt M16 in transfer. Also have a pending stamp for a short AK. I'm already planning my next SBR. Should I do a SCAR 16 or a SIG 553?  My guns are just range toys although I do take them to the woods to shoot pigs regularly and deer sometimes. If your answer is both I have thought about that and might well do it. But in that case in what order should I do it? If there is a C option what should that be?

RC

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I voted Scar but as a C option maybe a sub gun like a MP5, MPX, Scorpion, or something similar.

And cans if you don't have them already.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an M11/9 and I have tons of time with various SMGs. Semiautomatic SMGs do nothing for me. I will probably get a 9mm upper for the incoming M16.

I have cans for all my stuff.

Thanks!

RC
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I voted Scar but as a C option maybe a sub gun like a MP5, MPX, Scorpion, or something similar.

And cans if you don't have them already.
View Quote

EDIT: sorry didn't read you're next post.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Option D (for douchebag):

GET BOTH

But in all seriousness the two guns as SBRs are pretty similar to each other in performance. The only quirks that differentiate them are sights, mags and barrel length. The Sig's uber short barrel is under warranty length for some can makers and (from experience) it suppresses for shit. The SCAR suppresses much better (in my experience), has better optic height compatibility with its factory irons, has more rails for better rail swag options (if that sort of thing floats your goat), has AR mag compatibility (barring getting a US AR Sig lower receiver that is, which you may want to do as Swiss SAN mags are getting harder to find and are becoming kind of expensive).

I bought my SCAR first and then my Sig, which is not a SAN but a domestic Sig USA clone that I built. Had the SAN 553 guns been available for sub 3K like they are now I would have gone that route instead.

All that said... I honestly rarely shoot either of these guns anymore. Its not that I don't like them, they are just really really really LOUD to shoot. I'm in kind of a semi subgun with a can phase right now after an afternoon shooting suppressed 9 mil HK clones I feel happy and energized. An afternoon shoot these two canned headaches and I feel like I just got home from the dentist.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have SIG 552 and 553 SBRs, Colt 6933, 6943, mk18 CQBRs, SIG 551-2, and a SCAR16 that has a pending eForm-1. The 552 and 553 are my favorite SBRs in the 10.5" and under category. Their form factor is small and sleek. But I don't like them for suppressed use, as all of the QD suppressor adapters will not allow the removal of the gas tube for cleaning. The gas valve and piston can be removed, but not the gas tube. Adapters I've used are AAC 51t, SiCO ASR, and SF SOCOM RC. The SCAR16, while very cool is much much bulkier than the 553, even when folded. But the nod goes to the scar if you plan on using a suppressor.

Frankly I think it is worth buying both. But if I had to choose it would be the 553. One additional point about the 553 is that I consider the B&T railed fore-end a necessity. The factory plastic 552/553 handguard heats up fast and flexes a great deal when a vertical grip is installed on a bolt-on bottom B&T rail.

And I completely agree with you re: pistol caliber semiautos. I personally see no point. I own a vector fullsize UZI and DLO HK frame in a mp5k-N. They were my first and remain my only shoulder fired pistol caliber firearms.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't worry about suppressing a 553 as my NT4 hasn't done anything great for my my hearing. I would put my NT4 on a SCAR but wouldn't bother on a SIG 553.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't worry about suppressing a 553 as my NT4 hasn't done anything great for my my hearing. I would put my NT4 on a SCAR but wouldn't bother on a SIG 553.
View Quote

NT4 will work fine on the 553. The muzzle is threaded 1/2x28 and the NT4 mount should be of small enough O.D. to allow the gas tube to be removed. You'll want the 4-position gas valve for suppressed use.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Beauty is the eye of the beholder, but that Sig is sexy!!!! The SCAR, not so much.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:39:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Beauty is the eye of the beholder, but that Sig is sexy!!!! The SCAR, not so much.
View Quote
+1

My 553 is my favorite gun.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#10]
SCAR 17 or Sig 553 should be the poll
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Where are people obtaining the side-folding stocks for the Sans 553 pistols as I was under the impression that OEM Sig stocks won't fit?

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The sig hands down.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I say sig. And I'd like to be your friend . Sounds like you have some cool toys.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Love my scar. That would be my vote.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where are people obtaining the side-folding stocks for the Sans 553 pistols as I was under the impression that OEM Sig stocks won't fit?

Cheers
View Quote

JDI - current swissarms importer

The website will state that it is back ordered. Go ahead and order it and JDI will place the order with SAN. Not sure if it will come with the hinge pin and cup washer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I vote scar because I just bought one and may be doing the same thing.

Can anyone provide the weight of a sbr scar?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#17]
From FN website.

Calibre5.56x45mm NATO
Operating principleGas operated, rotating bolt
Overall length540mm with buttstock folded
Buttstock unfolded maximum overall length788mm
Buttstock unfolded minimum overall length724mm
Weight3.3 kg (without magazine)
Barrel typeShort
Barrel length10"
Buttstock typeFoldable, adjustable for length of pull
Design typeTraditional
FeedM16 type magazine
Firing modeSemi-auto, full auto
Length of pull6 positions adjustable
Magazine capacity30 rounds
Rate of fire550-650 rds/min
Sighting systemCo-witnessed flip-up sights
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The website will state that it is back ordered. Go ahead and order it and JDI will place the order with SAN. Not sure if it will come with the hinge pin and cup washer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

It is just the stock..... No pin or washer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

Looks like the pin and washer is available for another $10.00.  The 553 is on my short list.

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#20]
SIG

I had the SCAR-16 and canceled my stamp while it was pending, and then sold the SCAR

Decided it was too much of a headache having the barrel cut, shoulder welded on, and threaded.  Plus the replacement gas ports were on back-order with Browning...

Not to mention if you ever wanted to go back to factory configuration the barrel assemblies were absurdly expensive at the time (~$900 IIRC)  

Not sure if the SCAR parts market has improved, but that's something to consider

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I should add that I am a huge fan of my SCAR SBR.  Mine has probably 5,000 rds through it without any issues.  I ran it through a 3-day carbine class with a ~1,500 rd schedule and it ran flawless both suppressed and un-suppressed.  

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Sig parts market isn't much better and there is much more real world experience out there with the SCAR.

Does that 4 position gas valve work on a 556xi?

I have a 556xi I can't decide to SBR or refund the stamp.  If Sig had made their conversion kits and pistol length barrels, I would do it as originally planned.

If I had to do it over again, wish I had gone the SCAR route.   Possibly just SBRing my SCAR17, although $200 stamp and lower resale value doesn't seem worth it for 2.3" shorter barrel.

Or as a wild hair, SBR my Daewoo.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sig parts market isn't much better and there is much more real world experience out there with the SCAR.

I have a 556xi I can't decide to SBR or refund the stamp.  If Sig had made their conversion kits and pistol length barrels, I would do it as originally planned.

If I had to do it over again, wish I had gone the SCAR route.   Possibly just SBRing my SCAR17, although $200 stamp and lower resale value doesn't seem worth it for 2.3" shorter barrel.

View Quote

SIG parts market is quite good actually. Parts are available from multiple sources and at reasonable prices compared to the state of the market prior to about 2007, when LE trade-in rifles started getting cut up for parts kits.

The 553 uses a smaller diameter ID gas valve than the 550/551/556, so unless the xi uses the smaller diameter piston head (which I doubt), the 553 valve won't work. There was a guy making 4-position valves for the 550/551/556, but I don't have his contact info.

Re: the Daweoo, talk about lack of spare parts. That would be the last rifle I ever SBRd.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

SIG parts market is quite good actually. Parts are available from multiple sources and at reasonable prices compared to the state of the market prior to about 2007, when LE trade-in rifles started getting cut up for parts kits.

The 553 uses a smaller diameter ID gas valve than the 550/551/556, so unless the xi uses the smaller diameter piston head (which I doubt), the 553 valve won't work. There was a guy making 4-position valves for the 550/551/556, but I don't have his contact info.

Re: the Daweoo, talk about lack of spare parts. That would be the last rifle I ever SBRd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I recall, the gunplumber used to offer an SBR service for the 'woo that was pretty slick.  I sold my DR-200 cause it was post-ban but i'd love to find a good deal on K2.

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#25]
AZEX also offers a conversion and he has some small parts for the woo.  And you can always buy a post ban for $800 or less if you are patient and need more parts.  I own an FNC so woo parts seem plentiful by comparison.  

At this point given the likelihood of further gun control in my lifetime including the possibility of a mag transfer ban, I am very hesitant to buy an EBR unless it takes USGI/AR15, AK or SR25/M110 pattern magazines.  When I am an old man and pare down my collection to the bare minimum, I figure there will be some 30-40  year old out there that has a good supply of magazines and will give me something for my guns.

Own a Sig rifle that swiss pattern mags, it will purchased as a curiosity at a much reduced price.  Because unless you own one already, what is the chance you have mags for it.  So I am really only thinking about the 556xi.

I guess a new owner in such a situation could always convert it to take USGI mags, but again a headache and ruins the point of the original gun being all Swiss.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I have both an original SAN Sig 552 SBR and a SCAR-16 with the FN factory 10.5" barrel SBR.

I would go with the Sig 553 first.  I think it is a better quality and more compact gun than the SCAR.

Honestly the SCAR feels a bit cheap to me and it also feels a big bigger/bulkier/heavier than it actually should be.

About the only thing the SCAR does better is being suppressed.  I have never bothered to suppress my 552.

I don't think you can go wrong with either option but my vote is sig if I had to keep only one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#27]
This thread poll motivated me to finally pull the trigger and pick up a Sig 553.  JoshNC helped me find one from RatWorx and the Form 1 has been e-filed so now the wait begins.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This thread poll motivated me to finally pull the trigger and pick up a Sig 553.  JoshNC helped me find one from RatWorx and the Form 1 has been e-filed so now the wait begins.

Cheers
View Quote

nice

Josh is a good guy and very knowledgeable on the swiss guns , did you get a diopter gun or the railed version ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone else's scar sbr gas them to death when shooting suppressed? I swapped out to a smaller gcs but haven't had a chance to shoot it again.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

nice

Josh is a good guy and very knowledgeable on the swiss guns , did you get a diopter gun or the railed version ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

nice

I went with the railed version, however I may have gone with the diopter version if RatWorx had them in-stock.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does anyone else's scar sbr gas them to death when shooting suppressed? I swapped out to a smaller gcs but haven't had a chance to shoot it again.
View Quote

I'm a lefty and find that my SCAR is less gassey than my ARs, however I still experience gas face.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#32]
A Scar SBR would be sweet. However I want an ARX100 10.3". It's cheaper to buy the gun new, it's super reliable from pretty much every report I've seen, and the factory 10.3" barrel is available and only $500 compared to the crazy high Scar barrel prices.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Do want...take my money!

I purchased my 17s with the plan to SBR, but given the initial high price for admission, then the add'l cost of SBRing/cutting, I changed my plan and kept it as new...not to mention keeping the longer barrel/capabilities of the platform in 308.

Then, it seems the natural progression is to consider the 16, but the $$$ and hoops aren't much different, really. Also, if you have a .30 suppressor and any desire to run 300blk, especially compared to 556 suppression, a 300blk/308 suppressed SBR is a dream worth sticking with imo.

At this point, I'm ready to lay down money today and wait for an SBR'd 300blk ARX100.

eta a factory SBR.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I forgot about this thread. I just sent off an F1 on a SCAR 17. Still thinking about a SIG 553 SBR.

RC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top