Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2015 10:25:25 AM EDT
I have a registered SBR receiver that I would like to make into a short, 9mm carbine, maybe 10 inches.  It has to operate on something common like UZI mags or similar, and I want to thread the barrel for a suppressor.

So what I need is a complete 9mm upper, bolt, buffer, magazine block and magazines, right?

Rather than reinventing the wheel, maybe members here can direct me to the best, most simple path to get where I want to go.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
What you list is pretty much it.

I built my upper as I couldn't find "the" one I wanted.

I don't know if many people thread their barrels; most I know use a muzzle device or an HK-style Tri-lug (which is my choice for simplicity).

I went with a 5" barrel so a) OAL would be fairly short (remember you're adding 7 or 8" of can to it) and b) most ammo would be subsonic.

My mag block uses Colt/style mags and converted Uzi mags; you can get a mag block to run "normal" (unconverted Uzi mags).
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  My mag block uses Colt/style mags and converted Uzi mags; you can could get a mag block to run "normal" (unconverted Uzi mags).
View Quote

FIFY.  Sadly, the unconverted Uzi mag block is out of production.  Might be able to scare one up used.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
get a 4 or 5 inch barrel so when you put the can on it won't be to long and heavy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a registered SBR receiver that I would like to make into a short, 9mm carbine, maybe 10 inches.  It has to operate on something common like UZI mags or similar, and I want to thread the barrel for a suppressor.

So what I need is a complete 9mm upper, bolt, buffer, magazine block and magazines, right?

Rather than reinventing the wheel, maybe members here can direct me to the best, most simple path to get where I want to go.
View Quote

The Uzi mags I have suck.  They are precisely modified, yet are jam-o-matics.  Use Metalform. I used a RRA SBR upper from Adco, with a ramped bolt.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
So I get the impression that nobody supplies everything I need in one package and that everything has to be assembled from various sources - is that correct?  

Seems like somebody could make some money here offering a turnkey "just add receiver" parts set.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, now we're getting somewhere.  Does anybody have an impression as to how the Palmetto Armory kit compare in quality to that offered by Orion Guns, for example?  Orion Guns 9mm AR
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
http://stores.9mmar.com/

There's a store where you can part one together.

My build consists of a rock river upper receiver:
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=242

A DDLES lower that takes colt SMG mags

CMMG ramped bolt carrier

Tros 4.5 inch barrel, threaded 1/2x28 but later added a tros 3 lug adaptor to it

Seekins 9 inch MCSR rail

AAC can with Triad adaptor

I have zero issues with it, group within an inch at 25 yards all day long with american eagle 147 gr ammo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
For some reason, it seems like more people build 9mms.

For example, the PSA kit has a 10.5" barrel; as a few have said, the weapon ends up being too long for what most people are building a 9mm for:  a tiny, compact, suppressed gun.  Additionally, rail is short and can will be more than completely exposed.

The 9MM AR site short barrels but equally short rails.  If you want to put most of your can under the rail like I did, you'll have to look somewhere else.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top