Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2015 8:48:43 PM EDT
I currently have a bare pistol lower, a 10.5in SBR and a 16in rifle.  The SBR is registered to a trust, based in Virginia.  I'm moving, for a year to the great Utopian state of Illinois where SBRs are illegal to own for trusts and barely legal for individuals.  

What would the law say to me transfering the 16in upper to the SBR lower, the 10.5in upper to the pistol lower and then leaving the rifle lower "blank," (of course until  I buy another rifle upper) and bring the 3 firearms into Illinois?  Can I leave them in this configuration until I return to an NFA friendly state?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't see why it would be an issue.

You could also simply move the short upper to the pistol lower and leave the registered lower "blank". Or buy another >16" upper.

ETA: that answer was for the federal level only...no idea what IL's stance on ARs or pistols is, so their could be local statutes that change the answer
View Quote

I was kind of leaning that way and I figured the 16in upper on the registered lower absolutely changes it from a non NFA configuration without a doubt...

As far as IL law, you can have a rifle, you can have a pistol, but you can't have an SBR...  And some counties have mag size limits on rifle mags but, it's not statewide.  Trying to make sure at the federal level, removing it's NFA configuration and then moving it to a different state doesn't affect it's NFA status when I go back to an NFA friendly state and re-install the shorty upper...

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

As far as IL law, you can have a rifle, you can have a pistol, but you can't have an SBR...

View Quote

You are slightly incorrect OP. SBR's are legal on a state level but it is a pain in the ass depending on where you live. In order to possess an SBR, you need to have a FOID card, a C&R FFL and owned by an individual. It really does suck that you can't have them on a trust but they were just legalized a couple of years ago and there is a current lobbying effort to make trusts legal. Do you know where in Illannoy you will be moving to?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You are slightly incorrect OP. SBR's are legal on a state level but it is a pain in the ass depending on where you live. In order to possess an SBR, you need to have a FOID card, a C&R FFL and owned by an individual. It really does suck that you can't have them on a trust but they were just legalized a couple of years ago and there is a current lobbying effort to make trusts legal. Do you know where in Illannoy you will be moving to?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as IL law, you can have a rifle, you can have a pistol, but you can't have an SBR...

I did say barely legal in the first post .  I read about the whole C&R deal but, I'm not going to resubmit my paperwork just to transfer it from a trust to me...

I'll be in Great Lakes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#5]
At least you'll be in Lake County and not Crook County. You could try looking on Illinois Carry for more info. They might know something I don't know and could possibly offer more to help you out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Live in southern Wisconsin. It's legal here and only 30 min drive
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#7]
^^^ Thats another good option.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish Wisconsin was an easier option for me.

But, stuck here in GL...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top